Norm, I wear hearing aids as well, but take them off when I detect with headphones.

With individual ear adjustments you still have trouble hearing the threshold and target sounds?

That must be a fairly significant hearing loss.

Interested to know how it turns out.

Rumblefish, that is a very interesting idea you are messing with.

Good luck with it.

I understand Norm; however, standard headphones are not the best way to get good sound. The sound is blasting directly into your ears which can decrease your hearing by basically numbing your ears-too much of a good thing.

A single speaker will cause you to lose your stero hearing because you will favor your better ear.

The placement of the speaker or speakers is critical to efficient hearing. Ambient noise will affect your hearing-as you know. Having the signal with 3/4 or full modulation will help...but some times reducing that to nearly a single tone will be better.

You can buy a cheap pair of Sonys like I use for 20 bucks...that is a cheap experiment and they make a very lightweight back-up. The model I use is Sony MDR-J10...the new models have alooped ear rather than the hook like these.

You can buy an adaptor to plug two speakers into and try dual speakers...

If you want to try any of these things I will show you when we meet again...

meanwhile, best of luck!

fred

Hi Guys

Thanks for all of the responses. Yes I do have a severe hearing loss and can not function socially with out them. I'm sure there are a lot of other detectorists that share the same problem. I have a good set of hi tech behind the ear hearing aids and wearing them is like a double edged sword. They boost the high frequencies that I am still able to hear, but some are gone and nothing will help that.  They have built in loud noise protection that shuts them down for a short period if a loud noise occurs. There is a fine line between being able to hear a target and shut down, when I do get a signal, I have to wait for a few seconds to make sure they are back in normal mode. As far as feed back goes, I overcame that problem with silicone ear moulds. I will be talking to my audiologist to see if she has more answers and will share with all.                  Norm

i used to use a electromagnetic loop around my neck that sent out a signal to my hearing aides.. that worked pretty good when i was in college because i could put the microphone up on the teachers desk and it transmitted directly to the loop,,,, the point being that i did not have to turn my hearing aides all the way up to hear the teacher ....and in turn catching all the noise of the class between her and i...

yes...... i sat in the back row...... :ph34r: