GPZ And GPS Software

Norvic

Barry,

No luck PMing file, but Steve has just posted that he`ll email a mlx file.

Gold Hound,

No drama, I know where your at, I`ve been there. Is good to know I am not the lone ranger re. gps + software. My intent certainly wasn`t to pry or gain secrets. But that another prospector uses gps`s as I do, does make me think it is something I should pursue with Minelab and on this forum, like you the faults that aren`t mapped are certainly of interest. Trust you folks will keep the videos coming.

Interesting :)  Didn't take long before this ball rolled on getting data around the packaged software. About what I thought as well.

Not a bash on ML but I am curious why the developers did not think that prospectors would not be leery of the use of the GPS and tracking functions in conjunction with anything online and especially Google.  This problem was immediately apparent to myself and others.  I've never used a CTX, which appears to be where the base program comes from judging by the packaging, however I suspect CTX users have no real issues with the Xchange2 software.... its for lost treasures not for mining concerns which are rather kept secrete.

Thanks for putting a candle in the window on what I consider a security issue.  Look forward to its development.

Two days after I first used the GPZ, sent email to dealer outlining what we are about here, I asked him to send onto Minelab. Well to ensure Minelab got that have just sent direct to them, although it may be deleted by Secretary, Imagine they get a lot of such, but this is good that the candle is burning well. For me ditch Exchange & Google, bring on Oziexplorer, not only for security purposes but moving map software is the go. But to Minelabs defence, they may not be aware of functionality of such software, plus getting the GPZ to us with existing software was more important.

Barry,No luck PMing file, but Steve has just posted that he`ll email a mlx file.Gold Hound,No drama, I know where your at, I`ve been there. Is good to know I am not the lone ranger re. gps + software. My intent certainly wasn`t to pry or gain secrets. But that another prospector uses gps`s as I do, does make me think it is something I should pursue with Minelab and on this forum, like you the faults that aren`t mapped are certainly of interest. Trust you folks will keep the videos coming.

No worries Norvic

There will be plenty more vids.

I doubt you've been were we were no one had detected there before us, gold on top of the ground even in gully's, much of the country up in FNQ looks the same.

And the motor bike footage where you can see the screen on the pad was not taken where we were finding gold just in an area we are no longer interested in thats why we didn't bother hazeing the pad on the vid.

But it still gives an accurate idea of our riding condition's.

It'll be funny if a whole bunch of people try scab on to our area by looking at the pad on the vid, they will have fun with the station owner!

• Like 2

I checked out the Xchange2 software. Not much to it. It's all based on open source software. You should be aware it will automatically update your GPZ software as well as downloading your GPS data and notes each time you start the program. If you don't want your detector automatically updated you will need to avoid the program.

The map function is just a pretty? shell around Google maps. Really nothing there that you couldn't get from Google maps alone once you have a converted GPZ file. I agree about the invasive software of Google maps. I don't use them at all for security reasons. Of course I have the option of building my own maps so it's not so hard for me to pass over their offer of "free" mapping.

Send the file when you have time. I'm busy tomorrow so next week works. I won't be able to modify the Xchange2 program itself due to the usual license restrictions. I'll see what I can share next week.

Barry

Gold Hound,
Be well assured I haven`t been where you are, but it is the same type of country as I prospect in geologically, be assured also I have no interest in where you are, got 100 years to go where I am. I am very content and privileged with the gold I have got, what you get is for you and because you do the footwork, the best of fortune to you, just keep those videos coming pleaseeeeeeeeee!

I just do know how important that the GPS+software has become to my prospecting and at my age wish to pass on to others. To me the days of secrecy are over to an extent, probably forgot most of them :rolleyes: , dunno :wub: , to know that others are on to this also is tops. Let us convey the message to Minelab. I note JP is not commenting, the wise owl. Come on JP do you find the GPS & moving map software useful.

Hi Barry,

The GPZ tracks etc. end up displayed on the Google map info in XChange. I do not believe that the updates occur automatically as you have to do something in XChange to make them happen. They are offered but you have to initiate. At least that is how I remember CTX update happening. Same with GPZ downloads to XChange - you have to use copy function.

Basically XChange lets you look at what is on GPZ, erase it if you wish, or save it to your PC. You can edit names and description details. All detector settings are saved along with each Findpoint which is good for learning what worked at the time.

• Like 1

JP is very, very busy guys. Do not expect answers on every thread in record times or even at all depending on where he is. I do think we get priority here though when he does have time. And yes, Minelab is listening. Because we offer good suggestions on this forum instead of complaints. Funny how that works!

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure no one has to worry about showing up to their secret patch only to find the Google Maps camera car taking photos for their next Streetview update.

I was going to write a Python script to automate conversions, but if people don't trust Minelab or Google to not thieve their lucky charms then I don't see how anyone will trust software written by other prospectors, even if it's uncompiled and transparent...?

I posted this in another thread, but if Minelab updated the software to allow KML/KMZ (its just plain text, a widely established format, and really has nothing to do with Google anymore), then we could at least transfer rudimentary maps to the GPZ. I commonly draw out aerial reconnaissance like faint 2-tracks, quartz reefs or blowouts, rapid soil changes (faulting, gravel age delimination, etc), old prospects etc in Google Earth then swap them to my phone. Plus with the option to save tracks as KML there is not a file compatibility problem for transferring anymore, basically every mapping program on the planet accepts KML these days.

Hi jasong,

No everyone has concerns about the "secret locations" issue. I don't. I hope the few that do will not cause people like you to not work to help those who just want to use the tools.

Hey, I spent a month a Jack Wade Creek detecting last summer. Been to Rye Patch, Gold Basin, LSD, etc. There, saved some hackers some effort. Some of us have really valuable data to protect. Good, do that. But let's not rain on the rest of us who are not exactly in the same boat.

Hope you reconsider jasong.

• Like 1