I Just Did A Coin On Edge Test....

Hopefully my video will be completed tomorrow evening (rain storms limited testing this evening).  Surprises are coming along with some interesting discoveries.  The Equinox is not that bad with targets on edge as some may assume.  I'm so excited with what I've learned but I need to prove 100% before publishing my findings.  Stay tuned.....

• Like 5

A couple months back I was playing with my MX Sport and a nickle buried a few inches down on its side. I just ran out to check the same scenario with my Equinox 800 and found the exact same result....

If I sweep the coil directly above the nickle perpendicular to the face of the coin, my detector sees the coin and gives the proper TID and pinpoints the coin correctly in all modes. However, if I sweep the coil directly above the coin but parallel to the face of the coin, I get a very jumpy TID. As I pull back from the coin the TID stablizes at 13, as would be expected for a nickle, however, now the center of the coil is about 6" away from the coin (top edge of coin is 2" deep). Continue sweeping as I move the coil toward the coin, and then past it, and I see the same result on the other side of the coin- proper TID with the center of the coil about 6" away from the coin. Now, I pinpoint the coin sweeping parallel to the face of the coin. I get two pinpoints, each about six inches away from the coin perpendicular to the face of the coin. If I draw a line connecting the two pinpoints, the coin is located at the center of that line. 

Depth of the coin affects the distance it pinpoints from the actual position of the coin. Deeper coin pinpoints further away. 

The only time I have trouble finding the coin on its side is if I sweep directly above it and parallel to the face of the coin. Same result for both the MXS and the Equinox.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Happa54 said:

Hey Everyone;

I watched a couple of youtubes on "Equinox coins on edge" which prompted me to do a test on my own.

Honestly, I really don't know what to make of it and I don't have anything to say positive or negative other than, I hope the percentages of coins on edge are low.

Yesterday at the park I laid a silver dime flat on the ground and ran the coil over it in Park 1. The signal was loud and clear.

I then stuck it in the ground on edge so the rim was barely showing. Ran the coil over it and the signal came in scatchy and broken up with VDI's bouncing around between the low and high numbers but nothing above 20.....mostly low single digit numbers. And in many passes, no signal at all. I wouldn't have dug these. 

Did the same with a silver quarter, wheat penny, '40 nickel, and the same scratchy broken signal on all or no signal. 

This morning out to my test garden.... did the same again with the Nox and the same results as of yesterday at the park. 

Cranked up the Safari..... hit them loud and clear whether flat or on edge.

Do I really need to be concerned about this? 

Any words of metal detecting wisdom on this? 

Thank you

If you try that in Park2 you may get a better result

There was a thread or video a couple of months ago about Park1 not picking up a silver coin ring on edge .

I tried it and Park1 was a dud but Park2  did hit my silver coin ring (50% purity, about 7grams weight).

When I experimented a bit there were some variables as to how well it hit it...things like purity of silver and size/mass of object. 

• Like 2

Well, apparently, Minelab have responded to this persons videos directly and asked him to do this video for them:

I waited 5 months to get my 800 and to be honest....with threads in this forum saying it's not very good on dry sand, having problems with depth meter, can't see coins or rings on edge.....i'm feeling really depressed writing this thinking WHY oh WHY did I get on the hype bandwagon?

I mean.....months on waiting list £900 for the machine, then i'm reading everywhere that the X-Terra out performs the 800 on dry sand etc...arrgghhhhhhh.....please someone convince me why i should keep my Equinox, or i'm gonna end up making an angry decision....flog it on ebay and just by a used Xterra 705.

OH MY GOD MY HEAD HURTS!!!!

Matt

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, staffydog33 said:

...Please someone convince me why i should keep my Equinox....

All these months you've been waiting, I assume you've been reading the positive reviews as well as the (fewer) negative ones.  It's now up to you to decide.  After you get the detector and try it out you should have all the info you need to make the decision.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, staffydog33 said:

please someone convince me why i should keep my Equinox, or i'm gonna end up making an angry decision....flog it on ebay and just by a used Xterra 705.

Matt

Umm....How many time is a coin exactly sitting exactly at 90 degrees to your coil? How many times is our coil sweeping exactly at 90 degrees to a coin?  The 90 degree thing is a non issue in my mind. The equinox finds the goodies. I have a few reasons I'm keeping my 800. I've already posted them :smile:

strick

• Like 3

3 hours ago, staffydog33 said:

.....please someone convince me why i should keep my Equinox, or i'm gonna end up making an angry decision....flog it on ebay and just by a used Xterra 705.

Matt

Uh, nope.  Not speaking for anyone else on the forum, but I am personally not in the business of trying to convince folks to keep a detector I would rather not see someone else swinging next to me on the beach.  I welcome rash overreactions like yours if it keeps Equinoxes off the street.  Don't need the competition. 

Seriously, only you can convince yourself you should keep the machine.  You seem easily swayed by videos, second and third hand accounts, rather than getting out there and getting some swing hours on it yourself.  Words are cheap and finds are king.  If you are not making saves with the machine then bail. 

You should not base it on what others tell you, or by videos, or forum posts.  That may be what you need to hear to make a buy decision, but you have already done that.  The machine is in your hands so go swing it and decide for yourself.  The good news is that you can probably recoup your investment, so why does your head hurt?

If you still need third hand proof, then check out the incredible finds pasted all over this forum.  That should convince you to go out and at least get that new coil dirty.

If your Equinox can't convince you on its own, then no one on this or any other forum is going to be able to either.

HH

• Like 5

Man, the Equinox is killing it finding gold rings at the beach lately

I just got off Facebook where I belong to 4 Equinox groups....its just gold after gold after gold after gold

This machine is geared more towards gold (low conductors) than silver. It was made that way on purpose.

Having said that, I suggest if you want silver try more than just Park 1.

• Like 1