I got my scoop today. I shouldve done more research before buying one but wanted to get out asap and this one shipped fast. I'll try it out tomorrow or friday. After watching some YouTube videos it seems the guys have scoops with much bigger mouths and more holes drilled. 

This is mine: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LX79QFT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

metal-detector-digging-scoop.jpg

• Like 1

Sid,

Don't sweat it! It will do till you research, and get into the hobby  more! And it can always function as a back-up, or a loaner for a friend! You will "acquire" many tools of the trade, if you do it long enough! 👍👍

• Like 4

I used to live in Jensen Beach and found my best 3 diamond Platinum ring at Port St. Lucie. For my beach detecting, I like a sand scoop with about a 12-14" handle with the scoop made out of 1/2"square screen with a metal cutting lip for the dry sand. Longer handles have too much leverage and get darn heavy when you hold the handle horizontal to shake the sand out. The square screen (hardware cloth) drains the sand much quicker than a scoop with drilled holes. Shorter handles mean bending over more. I've seen many folks dragging larger scoops behind them in the dry. Too heavy, expensive and clumsy IMHO. For the wet sand, My favorite is a modified trenching shovel that I weld small sides to and drill small holes in the bottom. The holes are an absolute must to break the suction from the wet sand.  For in the water you'll need a "Water" scoop with large basket, sharp cutting lip and they must be tough to take the pressure of pushing the scoop into the sand with your foot. I don't like this type scoop for the wet sand on the slope because you just about have to walk to the water to rinse the sand out of the scoop. With the shovel, only a quick twist of the wrist dumps the sand out. 

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

• Like 4

I have am RTG wire scoop with adjustable handle. It  is pretty light but I find small stuff falls through the square wire mesh pretty easy. Drove me crazy trying to get a necklace out of the water and reminds me of one the arcade machines with the claw trying to get stuff. For the most part it works good.

Always wondered if anyone has tried a mud shovel?

https://www.agridrain.com/images/thumbnail.aspx?img=/webres/catalog/xl/565_NSLRMS.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kac said:

I have am RTG wire scoop with adjustable handle. It  is pretty light but I find small stuff falls through the square wire mesh pretty easy. Drove me crazy trying to get a necklace out of the water and reminds me of one the arcade machines with the claw trying to get stuff. For the most part it works good.

Always wondered if anyone has tried a mud shovel?

https://www.agridrain.com/images/thumbnail.aspx?img=/webres/catalog/xl/565_NSLRMS.jpg

I like this spade but the more holes you got the less the scoop/spade will last,but the least it will stick to the bottom of the hole........i am talking of course deep wet sand ........here a lot of detectorist are using transplanting spades:

https://scotsdalegardencentre.co.uk/product-341465.html

I am always happy to try new scoop but remember it needs to be fit for the job and protect/save your back and be able to reach those deep elusive targets....

RR

• Like 1

Good to know. I bet the salt will kill it even quicker.

Deeptech has a nice sand scoop design but the handle is too short.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By JohnnyRox
      New scoop from RTG.  Anyone using one yet?

• By ColonelDan
      I got my hands on a new product from Steve’s Detector Rods--a scoop handle for my Stealth 920!
      As we all know, Steve has a well earned and most deserved reputation for giving us top quality shafts for a variety of metal detectors and now he’s dedicated that same level of attention to producing carbon fiber handles for the Stealth, X-treme and T-Rex scoops. It really is a great day for the detecting world.
      As soon as I opened the box, that professional manufacturing and precise attention to detail was clearly evident. You can just tell it’s first class when you see and hold it. The feel of this handle immediately tells you it’s ready for anything you can throw at it. The look of it tells you this is a professional piece of equipment...it’s simply a great looking handle.

I took it to New Smyrna Beach, Florida for its 3 day maiden voyage and the bottom line: It proved itself to be a real beast...but a very light beast! There was absolutely no flex in this handle even when pulling out a 920 scoop full of very wet sand. This handle felt and performed like the extremely substantial shaft that it was designed to be and there were no exceptions regardless of the various conditions under which I used it.
      Fit, finish and texture: Like all his other shafts, Steve’s scoop handle is a work of art. The carbon fiber is top quality and the finish is truly professional in every way. The top cap is a perfect fit with no sign of twisting...no matter how hard I tried and the handle at the business end slipped perfectly into the 920s tube. It has a shark skin texture that ensures a firm solid grip regardless of how wet it was.
      Specifications: Overall length is right at 46.5 inches; the wall thickness is an impressive 2.5mm; the diameter of the handle is 35mm except at the point it slides into the scoop tube where it’s shaved down to 34.7mm. The weight is a scant 23.73 ozs (1.48 lbs). Even the bolt washer Steve uses to attach the end of the handle to the scoop is larger and thicker than others I’ve used measuring 1.25 inches by 0.050 inches! Simply put, Steve has built this thing for the long haul and the tough going with no detail being overlooked.
      Wet sand or dry, shells or surf, I found it’s all the same to this handle...tough as steel yet light as anything. It makes your scoop sing and a real pleasure to use.
      My “go to” set up is now 100% Steve Goss--both of my EQX shafts and 920 scoop handle are his creations. In summary, I’m convinced that I have the best of the best.
      Finally, rest assured that I have absolutely no financial interest in Steve’s business. My sole purpose is to simply share my views on what I consider great equipment. Another superb job by Steve Goss.
      Note: The two vertical grips shown in the photos are not part of Steve’s handle--I added those.

www.stevesdetectorrods.com
      www.facebook.com/stevesdetectorrods

• By mn90403
      Earlier this week I had my car 'pilfered' of some loose items in it.  It was probably done sometime early Sunday morning.  Nothing was broken on the car but who knows how they got in without setting off the alarm or perhaps it was just left open in the carport on an alley that gets a lot of scavengers walking through.  It has happened before.  The police have been notified. There was some change and sunglasses, reading glasses taken along with some keys (which have no value to them) which included  a disc lock on a garage door I rent.  I'll have to cut or grind it off somehow.  The door is aluminum and I can't cut the attachment off.  I guess I will follow this advice:
      https://www.selfstoragetalk.com/forum/general-self-storage-forums/general-storage-chat/10594-cutting-disc-locks
      So much for the first 'view' of things and then I was going detecting and noticed that my Lesche 'knife' the 2"x7" kind was missing from the back with a few tools.  Also my beach jacket ... so now I have an opportunity to buy replacements.  I'll use some of my beach coins to buy the stuff.  
      Is that still the best tool for a park?  I like the root sawing edge but the hole digging part with just the hands is a pain.  I still have a larger version but that would be too big for a nice park.
      The 'pilfering' could have been worse.  It could have been major.  They didn't have a way to walk down the alley with a couple of metal detectors and I had taken my cell phone and wallet inside but I sometimes forget it when I get back late at night.  We all need to think about replacements for things 'forgotten' so please learn from my recent experience. 
      Mitchel
    • By Compass
      Yesterday I went to the lake to try out my new "treasure" rake in the water. I pulled it for almost 3 hours and found a very thin silver chain after which I switched to the Nox 800 for the remainder of the hunt. Couple of things I learned about the rake: It did not dig as deep as I expected or wanted it to. It had a tendency to ride on top and took a lot of work to even force it down an inch or two. I may try and add some lead weights to the head to help drive it a little deeper next time. Pulling the rake wasn't as strenuous as I had anticipated but then again it wasn't going very deep.
      With the detector I managed to find a small silver ring and a hollow gold earring that tests out as 14K. My buddy used his detector the entire hunt and found a nice 5 gram 14K ring so maybe I would have been better off metal detecting the whole time but still, I am encouraged by this first test of the rake and will try again next hunt. It does test one's patience though even more than detecting does.

In this last picture you can see how thin this chain is compared to the thickness of a dime. If the rake can find this small sized silver chain it should be able to grab a bigger gold one as well.
      GL&HH!
    • By Compass
      Hello, I am looking for a beach rake like the one in this video but will consider other designs. Thanks!
      Added by Steve H, previous threads:
      https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/2544-coolest-rake-ever/
      https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/11582-raking-for-gold-on-the-beach-and-in-the-water/

• By Steve Herschbach
      The handle on my trusty old stainless steel scoop finally broke. The scoop is fine, but the handle is a custom curved 7/8" aluminum tube. I made a trip to Home Depot - nothing like that in stock. Looked at a piece on Amazon - shipping is killer on stuff 40" long. It was going to be like $50 delivered.
      I figured I could find something locally for less, but did not want to bother with it at the moment. I decided that I had $50 I might want to spend on a new scoop instead. Has to be stainless steel, and my new criteria is that I want to be able to bolt any straight handle on it that I want - wood, metal, fiberglass, whatever.
      I've looked at highly recommended scoops like the Stealth 720, but I have to admit $250 seems a bit much for a scoop to me. A bit of Googling and I saw one that looked fine, and the price was more to my liking. The $99.95 Scoopal Sand Scoop. I had a 10% off coupon from Serious Detecting, and after free shipping this scoop showed up in two days for $89.95, U-bolts included. I like that! It is well built, looks plenty stout enough to me. I happened to have an old wood handle already in my pile of pick parts, and so I bolted it on. The scoop has been on two outings so far, and I am quite happy with it. The holes are a little smaller than my old scoop, so it gathers more gravel, but is also way easier to recover tiny stuff like .22 shell casings that slipped through the old scoop.
      Anyway, if you are looking for a scoop without spending the big bucks this scoop is worth a look. I have zero regrets on this purchase.