Top Minelab Equinox Mistakes

cjc

On 2/15/2022 at 8:31 PM, Steve Andrews said:

I can tell all that without using the pinpoint function, or the "depth meter"

No basic skills 😀

In fact, I make a number of your "mistakes". Large coil with sens at 23, iron bias F2 0.. It's a wonder that I find anything at all!

Iron Bias ZERO.....gotta be done....go see the king of the Nox....aka "Phillip The Nox"

3 hours ago, Welsh3333 said:

The biggest mistake of all should be buying the big coil in the first place!

Simply cannot beat stock coil.

You have to really understand everyone's site is different. When I have two miles of beach to cover in 3 hours, the 15" comes out. 

I am still impressed with the small targets this thing finds. On a wet sand salt beach I can either run par sensitivity or one position less. 

The 15" coil serves a need! 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Welsh3333 said:

Iron Bias ZERO.....gotta be done....go see the king of the Nox....aka "Phillip The Nox"

There are no absolutes in metal detecting. Phillip the Nox, who uses a 12x15" in the parks and beaches of New York is a master in his area, but his settings don't work don't work at all in the iron hot Rocky Mountain soil of Colorado. Like midalake said, everyone's site is different, and different sites require different methods.

• Like 2

On 2/22/2022 at 5:45 PM, midalake said:

You have to really understand everyone's site is different. When I have two miles of beach to cover in 3 hours, the 15" comes out. 

I am still impressed with the small targets this thing finds. On a wet sand salt beach I can either run par sensitivity or one position less. 

The 15" coil serves a need! 

Well said Mid.

I hit Southern California beaches a lot.  Mostly the wet sand areas.  Recently I had a return to the 11" to give my arm a bit of a rest on the swing.  I was surprised how deep it really goes.  I can hear coins deeper than 11" in some cases and that is normally quite enough.

The last couple of days after a bit of a blow and energy stirring up the sand I've gone back to the 15" and it finds more.  It finds more going fast or going slow.  It finds more deep when you get that iffy.  I dig almost everything except a few pennies.  I just can't spend 6-8 scoops sometimes in the recovery when I could find a better target with more character.  It is a mood thing.

Something that does make people not want to use a big coil is pinpointing.  Often times I don't use it and I just look at my coil and know where the target should be dug.  Sometimes that is a bit of an optical illusion.  The target doesn't seem like it is where it should be.  Today I worked out a correction for my perception.

When I work my way over a target and get a full sound I normally focus on the Minelab Logo and dig under it for my target.  My recoveries were not as efficient as I would have liked.  I was taking extra scoops and missing my coins.  I adjusted.  What was my adjustment?

I started scooping behind (closer to the center) from the logo.  My eyes focused there (about 4 inches difference) rather than closer to the edge of the coil.  It greatly reduced my number of scoops for recovery.  I felt like I was swinging my 3030 again where I could get a lot of targets with just one or two scoops rather than 5-6!

I'll concentrate a bit more on the 11" coil and see where my focal point is for recovery there.

Thanks for your books Clive.

Mitchel

• Like 6

21 hours ago, mn90403 said:

My recoveries were not as efficient as I would have liked.  I was taking extra scoops and missing my coins.  I adjusted.  What was my adjustment?

I started scooping behind (closer to the center) from the logo.

I do not use the PP mode at the beach. The 15" coil is made for recovery in Horseshoe mode.

So in horseshoe mode I just keep X-ing forward.

With the taper of the coil it is really easy to see where you lose the target. 

Come back on the target slightly, and stuff the scoop in right behind the coil two inches. 

Really deep, fringe targets will center more forward on the coil, but keep the same dig point.  As the deeper the target is,  one has a tendency to scoop away from you more. 

• Like 2

I rarely use the pinpoint also ... just habit.  There was not much on the beach today but I did dig a couple of 10" quarters and I have an 8" scoop so I had to scratch at the hole a few times for those coins.  There were just a few two scoop pennies and then a lot of nothing.  It was a nice sunny 3 mile walk on the beach.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...