Rough Year Of A Rifle Shell?

I'm not very knowledgeable with this relic stuff, but I found a gold site that I'm trying to research historical info on and coming up short. The only thing I've found that I might be able to get a date on is this rifle cartridge.

Google looks to infer this company only existed until 1896? But I'm hoping for something more accurate. The bullet itself looks to have been slightly larger than 7/16" diameter but my calipers are packed up as I'm moving right now so can't get more accurate. Close to a 44 - 40 I guess, but longer shell. 

Hoping someone can narrow the years down for me a bit more or potentially this round's use? Would this be a calvary/government issued round? Or an old trapper's round? Buffalo hunting? Any kind of info is helpful to potentially give me a research lead.

image.png.8b96bd6e4e09e77b97298a6f9558573f.png

image.png.152cb558e8051b81e01042ce0a4a4ba0.png

• Like 8

• The title was changed to Rough Year Of A Rifle Shell?

Nagant is right:

https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-Military-Artifacts/Firearms/44-90-Remington-Special/lotInformation/43889094

Pretty rare cartridge used in Sharps rifles, 1860+

• Like 6

Thanks guys, that's the one!

That gives me something to work with now for research. Looks like it was a Buffalo hunting round, or from that Era. 

• Like 1

That case is in really good condition. Usually the Sulfur from the Black Powder & Mercury from the primer take a big toll.

• Like 2

Nice find as it is in great condition.

Glad someone was able to help with the identification of it as I even thought it was for buffalo.

Good luck on your next hunt and stay safe out there.

• Like 1

I think it would be 1874 is the year that came out.  Tried to find a reference for the stamp but no go.  They had a couple cartridges that were very close in length and in .44 and .45 cal.  Black powder in a bottle neck case is a strange area but got the job done.  Now find a Sharps😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1