Crevicing Tool

That is fine craftsmanship. Should work very well and last a lifetime. 

• Like 1

Nice work and I like the way the wood turned out on the axe.

• Like 1

Takes a lot of heat to twist a railroad spike. Heating then quenching in oil re-hardens steal/iron after turning red hot, then re-heat to around 200 deg. to give back some mailability to the object. Nice work. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MSC said:

Takes a lot of heat to twist a railroad spike. Heating then quenching in oil re-hardens steal/iron after turning red hot, then re-heat to around 200 deg. to give back some mailability to the object. Nice work. 

it sure does take a lot of heat, the gas forge I have goes through the 9kg LPG refills fairly quick doing the Railroad Spike projects.

And like you say heating hammering then re heating the oil quench and then the tempering, there is a fair bit going on.

and for the Axe/tomahawk punching the eye for the handle when red hot also takes a few re heats to get it done then drift it out to the handle size, all while trying to keep the eye on center is a challenge in itself

anyway I now have a pair of Viking axes tomahawks or camp axes, whichever you want to call them, and also a pair of crevice tools now as well, been busy forging and using gas that's for sure

the pair of axes

20230403_141141.thumb.jpg.0a2653b2b6246dc953acbe3aef26310b.jpg

and the pair of crevice tools

20230404_105426.thumb.jpg.2026ccd3961186061867fa9e320ec471.jpg

cheers dave

• Like 7
  • Oh my! 1