Hello everyone. I'm new to detecting with the Equinox 800. I found several pieces of this metal that had a vdi of 39. It's not magnetic and ice cubes melt very fast. Can anyone tell me if it's silver? 

20230408_221946.jpg

20230408_144514.jpg

• Like 1

Aluminum would be very light. 

The ice cube test results sound promising. Next, you could try bleach or the acid test. You could also look for an appraiser or pawn shop that might have an electronic tester.  https://bullionexchanges.com/learn/how-do-you-know-if-your-silver-is-real

Well Ice cube melts instantly and Vinager turned it black overnight. I found 4 pieces in about a 100ft area including old pieces of scrap that had no rust  also registering in the mid 30's on the Nox. Not sure how it's in Ohio, but looks like I'm going back to thoroughly scan the area. Thanks for the replies.

It could very possibly be yet another exceptionaly rare and previously unrecorded specimen of leaverite?

I'll vote camp lead. I usually take some nippers to pieces like that on the edge..if its soft when you cut it then probably lead.

strick

• Like 2

It's very hard, a hammer or nips wouldn't chip the corner. I ordered a test kit so I'll keep you guys posted. I have found similar campfire pieces before but it melts with a torch and this dosen't. And this is my first consistent 39 ID or I wouldn't have bothered with it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well for sure its a giant chunk of something. I'm doubting silver, lead maybe, but could be a chunk of newer type plumbing solder. It's hard and will stain. Yours looks calcified and not like silver. I'd bet money on lead.