jinmon

There Is No Gold In California

Well done Julie, you're off to a good start.  I've found Gold on the Equinox 800 that's smaller than most of your bits of junk there.  It usually comes up with either just a sound to indicate it's there and nothing on the screen or it comes up in the negative iron numbers on the screen bouncing around all over the place, the closer you get to the gold the more accurate those target ID numbers become, it's the same for every VLF detector with a screen. 

Because we are talking about such tiny bits of gold it's really hard for the detector to establish what they are to give you good VDI numbers.  On the tiniest bits it may even always think they're some sort of minus number.  You can't hunt for tiny gold and rely on the Target ID's at all. 

Remember once you get into the heavy duty Minelab gold detectors, even the insanely priced $10,000 ($8,000 in your part of the world I believe) GPZ there is no numbers at all, no discrimination... you have to dig every sound, if you do that with your Nox you'll succeed much sooner.

Now that you're finding those little pellets you're well on your way to finding a little nugget.  Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @phrunt😂 I’m frustrated that I haven’t found any gold but I also know switching up the locations and only spending a few hours is not the most efficient way to locate gold on a claim. 🙂 I’m actually pretty pleased that I can find small metal bits now - I have WAY more confidence in my detector now that I know I’m supposed to be digging those non-displayed targets. I was worried I just hadn’t set up my detector properly for the soil or something. Now I’m like “nahhhh, I got this.”

I might not have it set up perfectly (I’d bet on that) but at least if I can find small metal bits (and a beer can at like 18” down!) I feel WAY more confident that I won’t be missing everything good! 🙂

-Julie

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, jinmon said:

I’m frustrated that I haven’t found any gold but I also know switching up the locations and only spending a few hours is not the most efficient way to locate gold on a claim. 🙂 I’m actually pretty pleased that I can find small metal bits now - I have WAY more confidence in my detector now that I know I’m supposed to be digging those non-displayed targets. I was worried I just hadn’t set up my detector properly for the soil or something. Now I’m like “nahhhh, I got this.”

The best settings that WORK for the Equinox to find gold is either Gold 1 or Gold 2, I'd stick with Gold 1 to start with as you may never need Gold 2, as high on the sensitivity as you can go without causing any false signals from EMI and that's it.  A noise cancel is obviously a good idea but other than that, you're in the right settings straight away from power on.  

I am guessing now that you're finding the pellets the only reason you haven't found a bit of gold is you're yet to walk over one.  Good things take time.

I rarely stray of defaults for the Nox, Minelab know what settings are best, it's only unusual situations you would need to stray off defaults.

This is a good read

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you're locating and recovering little targets like that, you'll find the gold when you eventually get your coil over it. Keep tuning your ears to your detector's unique set of sounds, and one day you'll get your coil over a chunk of gold big enough to punch up the numbers on your display as well.

Keep putting in the time, and keep honing your skills and the gold will come.

All the best,

Lanny 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There will be gold in California. You have been given good advice already. Even if you are already an expert (ex, for unknown quantity & spurt, for a drip under pressure):laugh: Just swing your coil fairly slowly & even sweeps. Get it down on the ground & listen intensely for any crackle in the audio that is outside of the usual threshold. Don't rely on what your screen is telling you.... or not telling you. Rely on your ears. I generally always detect in Multi IQ. Preferably detect with no discrimination, if there isn't too much trash around. That is the best for sensitivity.  Like Simon said....even tiny gold will flicker all over the place in the negatives on the screen. In my experience there will be no reading at all on the screen on real tiny gold. Just a crackle in the threshold. If you haven't, fit a strong rare earth magnet to the heel of your pick handle. You can wave this through the dirt when you suspect you have a signal. If it is iron trash it will leap up on to the magnet, if not then the chances of it being gold will increase dramatically.

What size coil are you swinging & what settings & sensitivity levels are you able to run? We are lucky in NZ that our ground is insanely mild & we can run the sensitivity flat out. Even the standard 11" coil is deadly on small/tiny gold. You just have to be able to get it right down on the ground. Preferably bedrock or very shallow ground. 

20180303_195155

20180303_202137

20180303_201329

20180307_214651

Then there is the 6" coil.

20180805_130805

That is pretty small

20180805_124357

20180805_191924

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Your detector would work considerably better with a compass mounted top of the control box and in line with the shaft. Then simply sweep a large circle until your compass points North, proceed about 200 miles while paying close attention to the compass and then start detecting.

I hope this helps.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, jinmon said:

So I set out to find the tiniest piece of birdshot I could find. I mean, I WOULD have looked for gold but we all know that’s a crock. 

SUCCESS!!! That Kevin guy might know a thing or two about metal detecting for lead, if only he’d stop pretending he’s talking about gold. Check out my haul from a few hours in the claims at Cajon Pass (note this is only the small stuff - I was already an expert in finding shell casings from an hour on Lytle Creek):

Jinmon,

Good to see your getting all that birdshot and lead, everything is working right, you just need to get the coil over gold. Lytle Creek- I used to go there in the 80's and shoot and pan for gold. Is everyone and their brother in southern california still using it as a shooting range?? They should change the name to Lead Creek.  If you dont get out more than 3 or 4 hours away from the citys in california, your gonna come across so much trash and bullets with a detector it will drive you crazy..... 

Dave

• Like 6

I believe you there is no gold in California, history proves it "they" came from California downunder to OZ looking for gold, from there "they" went to New Guinea, Africa etc. Now "they" are swinging around with these new fangled coils on a stick, looking in these same places again, obviously after centuries of looking for it there is no gold.

Now Julie your probably not going to learn from the lesson that "they" have made so I wish you the best, but you`ve been warned there really is no gold. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great work Julie. It really is all about being able to detect tiny non-ferrous targets. People tend to get annoyed by lead but looking at your finds tells me A. You are doing great at figuring the Equinox out and B. The location you are detecting, if gold bearing, still has gold left. You can’t get all the gold and leave the lead behind. Of course if the location has no gold that’s another story.

I treat aluminum the same way when jewelry detecting. If I am detecting a park or sport field and can’t find much if any aluminum, somebody has hit it hard. That rarely happens but I have encountered it. It still amazes me how many 1970s era ring tabs are easily found in most locations however.... an obvious sign of low pressure jewelry detecting.

Seriously, you are doing great. You just need to get over that nugget!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1