mn90403

Care To Share Your 7000 Settings?

Wow!  What a way to revive an old thread.

Thanks Gerry.

• Thanks 1

Here are some settings I was given in Australia.  I got these from the Coiltek Centre near the end of my trip.  It found the targets buried on the test garden with ease.

I used something very close to this for most of my trip.  They are similar to Lunk's settings.  It kept the detector nice and smooth but I guess I could have put up with a little more chatter.  I was interested in big.

IMG_20190523_210204.jpg

• Like 3

I think with reading some of JP's comments and threads I would use the semi-auto with the above settings rather than just auto.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 10:04 AM, mn90403 said:

I think with reading some of JP's comments and threads I would use the semi-auto with the above settings rather than just auto.

Here is how I look at the GPZ-7000 and proper settings.  I have 4 very educated and highly Successful Expert Field Staff members who are accomplished nugget hunters & all find more gold than most owners of the machine, including myself, that makes 5 of us.  Each of us find plenty of gold and do better than most....but we all have a little difference in our Settings.  Which one is right?  Lunk has the most bass-ackwards Settings of any of my staff, but he finds the most pieces.  Spencer seems to find more deeper and larger nuggets than the others of us.  I try to split the difference and go for a "Happy Medium". 

JP's Settings are what gives him confidence and Success is Australia and I would never try to say he is wrong.  His success is proven and he does it for a living.

There is no 1 Setting that is the best for all kind of gold at all depths and all soils.

I'll try JP's settings this fall at Rye Patch and if I feel it gives me an advantage...then you'll certainly see me change.  But it will take much time to test over many undug nuggets of different sizes at different depths and soils to see if there is in fact a better or worse outcome.

Either way, this thread adds flavor, opinions and options for us all to try.

Good luck out there.

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By phrunt
      I had been waiting for this coil to arrive for some time, It was ordered right as the Covid impacts were first known and international flights were all being cancelled, The day after the coil was shipped NZ closed it's borders completely, all inbound flights cancelled.  The postal operators had no way to send it, it stayed in the origin airport for a few weeks while the postal agency worked out what to do and they eventually decided they'd put it on a ship.  It was interesting watching it's tracking number but then, it went silent, once it departed nothing for a few months then all of the sudden it arrived in Australia, yay!  I guess there would be no direct ships from there to Australia either so it would be bouncing between ships to make it's journey.  From there it was a quick easy hop to NZ.   Fortunately now flights around the world are starting to resume and my 8" GPZ X-coil that was ordered long after the 12x8" coil arrived in about 10 days.  Our borders still remain closed to passengers, it is however open to freight flights and we're a bit of a hub for international long haul transit flights.  Auckland airport is currently one of the busiest airports in the world which is incredible really taking on the worlds major airports for flight traffic.  I think this is mostly because we have eliminated the virus 100 days ago so domestic flights are back to normal.  Yesterday was our 100th day with no virus in the community, a bit of a celebration 🙂

It arrived in good order, after it's worldwide ship cruise journey.   JW's had also ordered a 12x8" X-Coil and his was in with my package to save on shipping costs so he now has one too.  I delivered his to him yesterday as we were heading out for a detect.  He really liked the 12x8" size/shape and thinks it will be his favourite, that's a challenge as he loves his 10" and rarely takes it off, although the last few times he's been using his 15x10" and now suddenly that's been glued to his detector and he's finding it really good, it has spiral windings and he's used to his bundle wound 10", so he seems to be taking advantage of the sensitivity of the spiral windings as the bits he's finding with it are absolutely tiny. 
      JW broke his E-bike, buckled a wheel so we decided we'd go to a place we've done a million times, probably the place I've detected the most, we both had very little hope at this spot and seeing we were on foot we couldn't go too far from where we have to leave the car but we thought we'd try walk and see what we can find.
      When we arrived we walked about 150 meters I guess to where the gold area starts from where you park the car, we've done this particular spot so many times it's not funny, we both didn't expect anything here.  When we left JW's house in the morning Robyn JW's wife said good luck, and JW said I don't have much hope for today! I of course said Nor me! We both know how much we've done this area.  We decided we'd try the first little bit for an hour or so to warm up 🙂 then walk and see if we can find somewhere else.

This is the area I settled on detecting, its a hillside leading down to a creek, the Chinese had heavily worked this area in the good old days when there was lots of gold to find.  I found a Chinese miners silver and irovy ring here at one point. 

This area is also the only place I've ever bumped into anyone else detecting for gold, one guy with a GPX 4500, one guy with a Nokta Gold Kruzer and another two guys together, one with a GPZ and his buddy with a Gold Bug 2.  It's quite well detected, JW has been doing it for years so gold is getting harder and harder to get.  There had been some sheep in here which was great news for us, the grass growth over the past couple of years had made for hard detecting and finally the farmer had put some sheep in.  They had fixed it up a little but they're not really interested in the brown dry grass this area has.  It's one of the colder and dryer areas in the country so grass isn't lush and green like elsewhere.
      After putting on a new coil I like to do a factory reset so I did that, then ran the 12x8" over the little ferrite ring as part of the factory reset process, it tuned out the little ring even when the coil was touching it.  I then adjusted my settings to my preferred settings, HY, Normal and gain of 20.  I then balanced out the ground then set to manual Ground balance , I'm not sure If I'm meant to do what the picture says when doing a ground balance by holding the quick track button as it indicates doing a figure 8 type thing on the ground but I've found my old GPX style pumping works quicker.

The area is quite shallow bedrock, in spots it exposes itself and they're the spots I was finding gold in the past with the GM1000 but that all dried up and now the spots most likely to find gold for me are the more grassy areas where the gold is down a bit of depth on the bedrock with a soil layer over top and grass cover so the GPZ is far more effective than the VLF in this situation.   There are also millions of shot gun pellets here, I would say the most out of any place I've detected so it's rare you can do a swing without hitting some pellets.  The GPZ method I've been using is a scape or two and if the signal is there keep going, if not reject it or else you'll spend all day digging pellets.  Thats not to say you won't be digging pellets, you will, many of them but it cuts the numbers down 🙂
      First bit of gold was quite an easy one, maybe the sheep helped me here.

I didn't have to dig far for that one, a real screamer.  I also knew it wasn't a pellet as the signal was so booming, more so than with a pellet.

12x8" now broken in. 

Then right near it, not even a meter away I had another target that survived a few scrapes.

Pretty shallow again, it had to be the grass level being low helping me find these

Another decent lump!

I detected quite heavily around this area now hoping for more, I found no more so I moved on.

It's where the grass is like above you know hasn't been detected as well as the bedrock areas so I was trying to go over the grass as much as possible.
      Next I flipped a few rocks over this has worked in the past and when you get a signal under a rock that's been there who knows how many hundreds of years and you get a signal you get a bit excited.  I had a signal under a rock, it was feeling like it might be a pellet, but why would a pellet be under a rock?

There rocks are heavy! The pick levers them down off the edge.  Unfortunately the target turned out to be a really tiny bit of metal.  Who knows what it is or why it was there.

I was almost sure it was going to be gold, at least my magnet helped recover it.
      I thought I'd experiment with the GPS on the GPZ, I'd never really given it a chance.  I quite liked it.  The novalty of using it, made it a bit like playing a game.  I found it pretty accurate.  I tested it when I was weaving in and out of bushes as I was detecting along making my way to the next area I wanted to detect.

I don't know what the little greyed out bit is.

This is the sort of terrain I was weaving through while testing it out.  It's a shame I didn't test it back where I found the two bits of gold as It'd help make sure I didn't miss any ground, I'm terrible at missing ground.  I might start using it more often.
      I continued flipping rocks and after flipping a huge one that almost landed on my foot I had another signal under where the rock was.

The big rock at the top of the hole was where the hole now is, the hole ended up quite deep and it was my biggest bit of gold for the day.

Different to the other bits too, far more smooth and flat.

Come up nice after a clean.
      We detected until it was too dark to see well recovering targets.  JW did very well, he went back to spots he'd done with his GPZ and 14" coil some time ago,  he was talking about a crack in bedrock where he got a few with his 14x13" coil some time ago and he went over it and got another 3 out of it.  He ended up doing far better than me, he got 10 out of this thrashed spot, unbelievable.  His appeared to be much smaller bits too so it'll be interesting to see the weight tally.

So that was my total, my 3 bits and it's now dark and time to go to KFC to refuel.   We never did end up walking further afield, we were doing OK in the first spot right near the car, that sure surprised us both.

And my junk, not too bad on the pellets as these were just ones I had to dig for, the rest that I was able to identify with the GPZ double blip and scrape or two were ignored.
    • By G.B.
      https://youtu.be/Kpp_TPnwmdE

• By PeterInSa
      Currently using an SP01 and matching twin Speakers, volume on the Z is 8 volume on Sp01 around 7.5 if not using the Sp01 Volume on the  Z is 11, with these settings and my hearing am not sure am getting the benefit of the Sp01, so as above would appreciate comments on twin WM12's ( Speakers are high on the Z Harness along with the WM12, the SP01 in the Z Harness backpack) 
      Will look at setting up the SP01 and the Twin Speakers on Margaret's 2300 with a Transmitter/Receiver driving the Sp01.
      Thanks
      Peter
    • By phrunt
      I was very keen to go for a gold detect this weekend, only problem is the weather forecast wasn't really detecting weather, I wanted to go back to the spot I did very well last weekend where I found .865 of a gram  I just had a funny feeling there was more in that hole as I was getting faint signals with the GPZ but at the time I wasn't sure if that was just the hot rocks, this particular spot is full of hot rocks of all shapes and sizes, right down to pea size up to giant bolder.  I was hoping my assumption there might be more gold there would be correct.
      There was quite a bit of snow overnight but the skies had cleared and went nice and blue so I sent JW a text message asking what the weather was doing up his way seeing he lives 10 minutes from where I was going to look for my gold.  He responded it wasn't looking too good so he will decide when I arrive if he wants to go detecting.   Nothing was stopping me however, I had a mission and I was determined to find gold!
      About 10 minutes after I left my house things went downhill with the snow

Started to get pretty thick, fortunately they'd plowed the road but it was still slowing coming down.
      Then up ahead the traffic was all at a stop, by traffic I mean the one car in front of me 🙂  It was due to a car that thought it would be wise to tow a caravan in the snow.  Not a good idea, the road was icy and slippery.

Things did not go well for them, they lost control, spun around and their caravan basically exploded.

Not much left of it.  Further up the road the weather was getting worse, and I'd forgot to put my chains in the car, if it got too bad I'd have to turn back.

After a bit more driving as I got towards the lake nearer to JW's house the skies cleared and there was no snow up that way.

I stopped at the shops to get a few things and picked up a tool from the hardware store expecting to have to smash through rock to recover nuggets like JW has been doing.  That seems to be the way nuggets are mostly found at this spot, my nugget in the hole last weekend was a bit unusual.  JW always goes straight to detecting the rock where he's doing very well, 10 or so little nuggets most days.  I got to JW's and he decided the weather was good enough so off we went.  JW went to his rock wall again, that thing just keeps on giving.... and I went to my hole.
      It was not long at all and I had my first nugget, then another.... and another, they just kept coming.  The damp soil I suspect was making them stand out even more, both JW and I have noticed this in the past, they light up in wet soil.

I had my first 3 within about 30 minutes I would guess... I took my watch off during the virus lock down as I never needed to know the time anymore and I've never put it back on.  I got used to not caring what time it is.  That little guy is 0.034 of a gram, and the 10" X-coil found it with no troubles at all.  I run my GPZ in HY Norrmal, Manual GB with gain on maximum, all else defaults.  I don't bother with the little yellow ferrite ring, I feel it doesn't help at all in our soil.  I don't understand Minelab's decision not to make a small coil, they probably don't even know the full potential of the GPZ on small gold as with a small coil it's absolutely deadly, the tiniest bits very comparable to a high frequency VLF like the Gold Monster.  I think with the 8" coil it will easily match the Gold Monster.  I think they didn't want to take the SDC 2300's market away from the GPZ owners, they'd rather sell them a second detector than a coil - more profit!

And here is a video of the detector response on that tiny little nugget, insanely sensitive.  I can't wait for my 12x8" and 8" round to arrive, you would think it would not be possible to get more sensitive than the 10".
      This was my first time finding one so tiny with the GPZ, JW does it all the time and I was watching him do it last weekend so I was using that as a learning experience of what to listen for.

I just kept scraping more off the hole in layers, I was having a bit of trouble with tiny hot rocks but I didn't want to change off HY normal / max gain to calm the hot rocks down so I just kept fishing them out whenever there was one there and throwing them far away, often using the Nox to assist with narrowing their location down.
      During my digging I found a weird little skull, maybe a dinosaur 🙂

There was other bones right next to my hole too, perhaps an animal had been using my hole as it's dining room.

The gold didn't stop coming, I've never had a day like this, I had so many bits by now I had lost count, I didn't even bother taking photos as that would waste valuable digging time.  I just kept scraping more away and detecting each layer after removing the hot rocks by using the Equinox with 6" coil and picking out any rock that it detect as a hotrock (-8/-9).... If you've got good gold eyes you may spot the bit of gold in the photo below, I spotted it sitting in my scrape.

And this was it.

I got to the point a big rock was in my way so I had to swing around and attack it from the other side where the sticks are

This side was a bit wild, you can now see how much I've dug out, the original ground layer, it was on a downhill slope.  right up where a tree root was I had a really nice signal with the GPZ, it was too loud so I thought perhaps a bullet or something so I grabbed the Equinox to see what it would come up with, it had no signal.
      I removed a bit more soil then suddenly I had a solid 16.  I used the Equinox to recover the target and to my surprise.........  The biggest nugget I've ever found!!!!!!!!!!
      \
      Oh yea! a beauty.  You'll see up above that my little tiny bottle, it's my emergency bottle that I keep inside the zipped up GPZ cover as I have forgotten to bring a bottle a few times I keep that little guy as my spare.  Fortunately I did as I sure needed it on this day.
      I took the following photo today as I went back today to hunt the spot again, this photo shows exactly where I found the big nugget.

It was on top of that rock below the tree root.
      I found a few more nuggets, another 4 I think after the big one but I didn't take any photos, it was starting to get dark so I met back up with JW to see how he'd done on his rock wall, he'd got 9 nuggets, not bad! He was impressed with my whopper and my haul, it is a very big nugget for NZ.
      We walked the 20 or so minute hike back to the car but as we got close to the car for some reason I checked my pocket to see if my gold was there, and it wasn't! $#@$#@$#@ My heart stopped! We went into panic mode checking my pockets 20 times and emptying out my backpack, nope! Nowhere, it was very dark now and my phones light wasn't helping much.  We decided rather than walk back with my phone light we'd go back to JW's house and get a torch and come back and look for it, it either had to be on the path we took or any of the last areas we walked at the nugget spot.  We arrived back with the Torch, JW was a lot more confident we'd find it than I was.  He said we'd be best off going back to the spot as it likely fell out of my pocket when I was crouching down packing all my stuff back into my bag.  We retraced our steps back at the nugget spot and within about 10 minutes I spotted it, sitting in the long dead sparse grass!!!  Thank goodness! That was a close call, my best gold day ever and I'd lost it all.
      Now for the weigh in.

All the little ones, I can't even remember how many, 15  I think it was for 2.113 grams

And the monster! 4.081 grams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The total for my best day ever,  6.195 grams!
      JW offered for me to stay at his place but I wanted to go home and show my wife my find, I didn't expect my 9 year old daughter to still be awake as I got home about 9.30pm and her bed time is 8.30 but my wife let her stay up to see my big nugget, she was very excited and shocked to see how big it was.
      I had plans to go back first thing in the morning to start again, this hole had to have more, I dug my last one about 5 minutes before stopping last night so I was sure it wasn't finished.  This time I was going to come more prepared, better pants with a zip up pocket to hold my gold bottle and a bigger white bottle so I can't lose it after the previous scare, a crow bar as we call them or San Angelo bar in America I believe? and a big magnet on a pole to try help with the little hot rocks.  The ground was a bit frozen when I arrived but not too bad.

The magnet on a stick is cool, and worked well, shrinks down to put in my backpack too, it helped clear up the hot rocks quickly.

A pretty big strong magnet on it.
      I had to give the area a tidy up and clear all the sticks before starting as I was heading that direction with my digging.

Doesn't help with these giant hot rocks though, but the crow bar dig them out and moved them for me, I'm certain they mask the gold targets when they're nearby
      A quick video of the Nox on the hot rocks
      It came in handy for giving me an ID on them.
      Day two was going well too, I'd lost count again on how many nuggets only taking photos of the bigger ones.

Quite meaty!

And another one!

This rock even had a little one stuck in it.
      I had to be home by 3pm so I called it quits, JW is still there now, hopefully he finds a big one! 🤞
      So my total for today

11 Nuggets for 3.310 grams, and my two day total

9.546 grams, what a weekend! I love the 10" X-coil on the GPZ, what a killer combination.  I'm really excited about the smaller sizes coming (8" and 12x8")

• By fredmason
      I seen this issue on the oz forum...is anyone besides me having a problem with the 12v charger for the gpz?
      I have two- one for my ctx and one for the 7000 and they both behave badly...when I plug one into the 12v outlet in my truck it starts flashing red while charging. The manual says this means there may not be enough battery to pull juice from the truck battery...my truck battery is brand new.
      So, I carry a small invertor and plugged that into the 12v outlet, then the battery charger into the inverter...the charger worked fine but my truck battery was  drawn down and I had to jump it...
      so, the second question is this; does the inverter draw a huge amount of amps to go from 12v to 110v to charge a the zed battery???
      Also, is the sensitivey of the minelab chargers adjustable ????
      thanks
      fred
    • By phrunt
      I have ordered a new size X-coil, it's a 12x8" X-Coil,  It's already in the post however it's delayed in shipping due to international shipping delays the world over.  Hopefully this coil arrives soon. I am very excited about it as I think it will be the perfect size for NZ.
      It's even in NZ's black and white colours.

This should be good in our rocky terrain on small gold.