Nugget Shooting Around Reno Nv

New to group here and just got a GPX-5000 and spent a few hours yesterday playing with different settings and breaking it in at the Rye Patch. Any suggestions on best settings for Rye Patch ( I used Sen Extra w/ 11" mono, slow and quiet with gain of 12, know of any other areas closer to Reno to nugget hunt then Rye Patch? I tried Gold Canyon in Dayton NV today but that place was filled with trash (I was mainly in the lower section).

Rule 1---- Remember you are learning.

Rule 2---- Start where you know Gold has been found.

Rule 3---- Know what size most of the gold was found there, then hunt for a bit small gold.

Rule 4---- Know what depth most of the gold was found there, then hunt at an appropriate swing speed.

Rule 5---- Have many target Buried in a 10 foot square of the size in Rule 3, and include a dime and a Dollar coin. Now swing your detector first at a pace you think is correct then go down in speed in a few steps.

Rule 6---- Ask someone else for advice, Now you will be able to sort the Gold from the sh!t of the advice given. 

3 and 4 are the hard ones. I tend to go places that have been pretty much ignored for the last hundred years or so. Usually all I have to go on is free gold was mined there then and maybe a rough total quantity. It is very hard to find more info than that on minor production areas from ago.

53 minutes ago, Lacky said:

3 and 4 are the hard ones. I tend to go places that have been pretty much ignored for the last hundred years or so. Usually all I have to go on is free gold was mined there then and maybe a rough total quantity. It is very hard to find more info than that on minor production areas from ago.

That Rule 8---- Keep that secret till he get to Rule 7 and hope we get there before he learns too much. 😀

I think I talked to you out in Rye Patch the other day, I told you this site would be very helpful... Stick with it, it comes sooner or later, we all hope Sooner !!! Lol !!!!!!!

5 hours ago, geof_junk said:

Rule 1---- Remember you are learning.

Rule 2---- Start where you know Gold has been found.

Rule 3---- Know what size most of the gold was found there, then hunt for a bit small gold.

Rule 4---- Know what depth most of the gold was found there, then hunt at an appropriate swing speed.

Rule 5---- Have many target Buried in a 10 foot square of the size in Rule 3, and include a dime and a Dollar coin. Now swing your detector first at a pace you think is correct then go down in speed in a few steps.

Rule 6---- Ask someone else for advice, Now you will be able to sort the Gold from the sh!t of the advice give

I wish I could give you two thumbs up for this.  This is very solid basic info that seems to get missed way too much.

16 hours ago, NV AU Hunter said:

Haha, yes sooner then later is good. I think we did meet, you pulled up on the ATV. I'm 6'6", stick out like a sore thumb in the dessert

One of the rules is keep a VERY LOW profile when on gold.......It looks like you will find that hard to do.😁

Rule 7....When you have found more than an ounce in less than a gram bits or 100 fly Sh!t bits. Goto to rule 8.

6 hours ago, geof_junk said:

One of the rules is keep a VERY LOW profile when on gold.......It looks like you will find that hard to do.😁

One of the few benefits of being 5' 7"...

Good luck.