Whites Dfx..... Should I Buy?

On 5/26/2020 at 10:14 AM, Jeff McClendon said:

Is there any reason I should consider purchasing one of these detectors? 

With all the units that you already have I think you have enough toys to play with.

All kidding aside the units that you already have will do better than the DFX that you are thinking about.

The choice is yours to make of course, but do you really need to get it with everything you already have.

That is the real question or are you just wanting someone to talk you into getting another unit.

13 hours ago, 2Valen said:

All kidding aside the units that you already have will do better than the DFX that you are thinking about.

The choice is yours to make of course, but do you really need to get it with everything you already have.

That is the real question or are you just wanting someone to talk you into getting another unit.

I do a lot of gold prospecting with detectors so 3 of my 6 detectors are only used for prospecting or relic hunting. The others are for everyday use or for a loaner. So me already having enough detectors actually is not the real question. The real questions are will I like it and will it do the work I want it to do. The answer to both of those questions may be yes and may be no or like it has been with most Whites detectors I've owned, the answer has just been maybe in general. 

I have never owned a Whites multi frequency VLF detector and that has been on my bucket list. I have owned every version of the MXT, the M6, the MX5, the MX7, the Treasure Master, the Treasure Pro, the GMT, the GMT 24K and the TDI SL. At the moment I do not own a Whites detector. Luckily for me even though I am not wealthy by any means, I do have a little money for spending on detectors when I want to try one out. I rarely lose much money when I sell one, so if I don't like a detector it is like I have rented it for a month or two. The detectors I have decided to keep have easily paid for themselves already except for the SDC 2300 which I just bought new recently. It's not going anywhere!!! Even though I know the DFX will be a bit slow and won't have as much depth as other detectors, it just might deal will the mineralization where I detect better than any of White's single frequency detectors have so far. I am a made in USA person so I may give the DFX a try.

Jeff

15 hours ago, EL NINO77 said:

Steve ... DFX..you can still surprise you ... But there's something about those Whites detectors ..., it can't be described exactly ...

Anyway, I will be curious about your views in your heavily mineralized conditions - Big foot should work well there.

In my opinion, DFX uses similarly to Spectra - a performance-optimized multifrequency that will work in a wide range of different terrain types ...

This means that it does not have to be deeply demonstrated on low-terrain terrain - but it will provide reliable results in any mineralization of the terrain ...

I’ve used the DFX and Bigfoot combo here before and it works great. I’m hunting jewelry and depth is not my main concern. In fact I only use a screwdriver so if the target is beyond reach of my pinpointer I pass it up.

The Bigfoot triples the 22.5 kHz frequency target id responses. It throws everything midrange and up into ferrous (ferrous wrap). There are some tricks that might be played with that, especially with the super expanded low conductive range, but in general it just messes with the responses. It runs more reliably in 7.5 kHz single frequency. The ground balance does not work as well either, and even in single frequency and lower gain I get chatter. I can use it in an acceptable fashion, but the bottom line is the DFX just runs the coil in a far more stable fashion, and I can stay in multi with good results.

45 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I have never owned a Whites multi frequency VLF detector and that has been on my bucket list. I have owned every version of the MXT, the M6, the MX5, the MX7, the Treasure Master, the Treasure Pro, the GMT, the GMT 24K and the TDI SL. At the moment I do not own a Whites detector.

Well, that’s a good enough reason to get one right there! Get the right buy, you can sell it for what you paid for it or more so it’s not really like it costs money to play. :smile:

5 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

So me already having enough detectors actually is not the real question. The real questions are will I like it and will it do the work I want it to do

As Steve has already pointed out that is a good reason to get it.

Can it do what you want, with the right coil I believe it will.

So here is another nudge, so go for it!

• The title was changed to Whites Dfx..... Should I Buy?