I tried confining my pet rats in a similar structure when I was in my teens. They continued multiplying and eventually chewed their way through the wall to freedom and began digging burrows all over the backyard. Hope those detectors don't do the same! 

• Haha 3

Yes, I learnt from Norvic’s recent experience to keep the Minelab’s separated from the Garrett’s.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Looks great.....but Simon.......deep down you know you'll need another cabin......just for your pin-pointers 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Nice write up Steve. I hope you and all that responded have continued success in detecting for many years to come.

Here are my 3 that I presently use and in no particular order.

1) XL-PRO last of meter w/needle

2) V3i w/coils

3) Pulse Scan TDI w/3 coils

All White's. Kinda looking at the Manticore, but not serious enough... maybe in the future. 

TC-AZ

• Like 1

I did a detector purge myself shortly after acquiring the Nox 600 a few years back and am also down to three. Was down to two for a while but added a Nox 900 a while back. I now have the 900, 600, (backup?) and a F 75. Don't use the F 75 much anymore, but letting it go feels almost like loosing a family pet. I've had one in my arsenal since they first came out and one was my main detector for 15+ years. I'll remain at three detectors regardless of whether I add another one or not. HH Jim Tn

• Like 1

Great article Steve, your rationale really makes a lot of sense, and I think I'll start getting rid of other detectors soon as well--too many that don't get used often enough. 

I picked up some great tips from your article as well.

I too appreciate all of the write-ups you've done about new detector models over the years, very enlightening, and your recommended detector models have always been spot on.

Thanks again for all you do; you sure are great at making a lot of information in the detector field genuinely understandable.

All the best,

Lanny

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So Steve our Equinox 800's are getting old so when they die what will you do ? Buy another 800 or go all in and buy the Manticore. What worries me is if the 800 is discontinued and we are no longer able to buy a new one.

1 hour ago, Chesroy said:

So Steve our Equinox 800's are getting old so when they die what will you do ? Buy another 800 or go all in and buy the Manticore. What worries me is if the 800 is discontinued and we are no longer able to buy a new one.

They'll have the control pods for sale for a long time yet, Minelab guarantee serviceability for their detectors for a number of years, I can't remember how long but it's a significant amount of time so even after its discontinued you'll be able to buy a pod for many years should yours die or drown or whatever.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Chesroy said:

If my Equinox ever quit I'd get a Manticore or Deus 2 or Legend, or probably something newer and better by the time that ever happens. There are people using 20-25 year old detectors and they are going strong. The Equinox is not old at all compared to a White's MXT for example, or the original F75s, or even the old Explorer. People are still using them. There will also be used Equinox available long after Minelab ever quits making them. Lose no sleep over this one.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1