Fisher Impulse AQ Ltd Waterproof To 1 Meter

Joe,

Epoxy will prevent water to enter through the cable entry but not between the male and female pins if not correctly mated.

Some people fill the female pins with silicone grease before mating. That type of grease has very good dielectric capabilities and it repels water.

10 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Never had a problem when I did mine...the main thing was keeping them cleaned and silicon-ed.

IMG_0236.JPG

OBN0134.jpg

Your procedure works great and I have used it however Joe.....I'd add one step.....test the connection prior to epoxy.....don't ask how I know!  Luckily I had another connector  🙂

Cliff

9 hours ago, Willy said:

Joe,

Epoxy will prevent water to enter through the cable entry but not between the male and female pins if not correctly mated.

Some people fill the female pins with silicone grease before mating. That type of grease has very good dielectric capabilities and it repels water.

Thanks Willy, I forgot to add I use Dow 111 but do not fill. (I called it siliconed)...Just a very light coat or small amount. Care must be used for it has a bad habit of attracting sand. One reason I've always recommend a lite wash off of the detector before removing any cables. And I guess specially for the AQ since it looks like it uses some "unique" fittings. Which I have used before and its a task with any connector making sure no sand gets in them. Never had a issue with any of them as far as saltwater. (short-circuits or corrosion which the positive pin is famous for on the Excalibur Ikelite fitting) But also I only hunt shoulder deep. Pictures to show some of the fittings that are used on the "AQ" ...The M-8  compared to the M-12.... which is more popular, then the Souriau which I used a few years on my excalibur to change out the coils. 

21b.jpg

21.jpg

21a.jpg

4 hours ago, cdv said:

Your procedure works great and I have used it however Joe.....I'd add one step.....test the connection prior to epoxy.....don't ask how I know!  Luckily I had another connector  🙂

Cliff

Cliff I swear I have done the same. When I first started I had the same thing..So I learned my lesson.Check before filling..........but as time went along I got more confident and started just sealing them up..but.......................... it bit me again.

I have been following this detector on forums for the last two years and I am disappointed that it is limited to 1 meter of water resistance.
Even stranger to me is that $ 300 detectors can go up to a few meters deep. Couldn't the electronics be packed into something like a Garrett Sea hunter?
My dream has faded about this detector, I also live in the swamp of numerous beaches without ocean tides, where most of the jewelry is 1-3 meters deep, so I give up buying this machine.

1 hour ago, Robika44 said:

I have been following this detector on forums for the last two years and I am disappointed that it is limited to 1 meter of water resistance.
Even stranger to me is that $ 300 detectors can go up to a few meters deep. Couldn't the electronics be packed into something like a Garrett Sea hunter?
My dream has faded about this detector, I also live in the swamp of numerous beaches without ocean tides, where most of the jewelry is 1-3 meters deep, so I give up buying this machine.

Welcome to the forum. The latest information is that a version waterproof to greater depth will be available at a later date, so if this version does not interest you, perhaps one available in the future will. Whatever you end up with, best of luck to you!