I have seen people question why the waterproof rating of the Fisher Impulse AQ Limited is only 3 feet if it uses the same connectors as the Minelab Equinox. Well, it does not. The Tarsacci uses a mix of connectors, and has the same M8 size headphone connector as the Impulse, but 4 pin instead of 5 pin. The Tarsacci coil connection is larger, same size as used on Equinox and MX Sport. The Tarsacci is rated IP68 (Up to 1.5 meters for up to 30 minutes). That's it, thirty minutes. So the Tarsacci is really only a shallow wading machine also. The Equinox has no M8 connnectors but instead a pain in the butt proprietary headphone connector. Now maybe we know why.

The Impulse power connector on the battery is the same 4 pin connection Tarsacci uses for headphones. The Impulse headphone connection is 5 pin. Go figure.

The White's MX Sport / GMX connectors are very similar to the Equinox, coil identical, headphone 4 pin. The White’s connectors look like the best of the bunch in my opinion. Looks like what Fisher should have used instead of the smaller connectors.

To sum up, Impulse AQ Limited power and headphone plus Tarsacci headphone only are M8. All others are M12.

Click or double click for high resolution photos....

impulse-vs-equinox-vs-tarsacci-connectors.jpg
Impulse AQ Ltd power compared to Equinox and Tarsacci coil

impulse-aq-vs-equinox-vs-tarsacci-connectors.jpg
Detector connections, Equinox, Tarsacci, & Impulse AQ Limited

whites-control-box-rear-mx-sport.jpg
White's MX Sport connectors

Will there be a way to plug in normal 1/8" or 1/4" headphones, or are we limited to just the type that fit the connector?

I'm hoping we have the option to go wireless.

Unless somebody can locate a 5 pin M8 to 1/4” adapter off the shelf we either make them, or somebody here makes up 20 and starts selling them. Four detector models, four different headphone connectors. And Garrett is also different. Garrett, Minelab, and White’s have 1/4” adapters, but they are no good to us. Thanks manufacturers for the standardization... not!

I’ll be going wireless so best get to work making an adapter.

Thanks Steve. It's good to know that it is possible to do.