Submerged Salt, Nearing 30 Hours

Sorry wifeys birthday weekend detectors stayed home and I took her to Gillagan’s Island for some bird watching ......lot of birds and a lot of Beaches Cruising around the Islands locally.....Cold not help but think what an Awesome Day perfect weather water was like a Mill pond around the islands south and later on the other side laid down as well .....I was thinking this would be perfect hunting time for the AQ......sensitive detectors  can get loud with walls of salt rolling in.....where as A calm gentle little roll and heave will help you maintain that buzz in your ear while listening for ghost  signals these little signals are the key to Davey Jones  vault .......Noise is the enemy anything that breaks the spell or focus ...concentration

like coil floating up or being in deep throughs with waves and foam whipping over you......stand on the Burme  with poloroid glasses looking for the holes close to shore . They move and uncover opportunity ...
yes the AQ can be bitchy in ruff surf but like Joe 

said “ Best to pick your Day”

Happy Trails 

jimpugh

Aint No expert only Thirty Hours on this steam Shovel....  but all my 40 years are going to get another rehunt.  Be safe take your time where I am digging few can get there and very few can see thin gold and ground signal separately 

23 hours ago, midalake said:

Can you elaborate on what your comment means?

I think it refers to the optimal conditions to use AQ ... Like any other p.i.  after all ... A minimum of wave is enough to create false signals and force you to turn up the delay ...

What part ....Of  “it does not like salt water immersion “ do you not understand ...

I put the time in ....What I have bought .....

No Fast water .....Surf.....frog foot Johnny needs to stay behind the curl and land on his feet and dig fast ..machine Makes loud noise going in water and coming out best to stand on coil edge and use lanyard....

have you ran at O gain ...I have  ....Have you run at....25 % ,50%,100%.....

can I make it work ....yes ....calm .....water .....helps but .

Issues  at hand in extreme salt water immersion with no fast water I could get it to work well as long as the connector was above water or stayed below water ....but forget in and out Continually.... severe head ache.....Repeat only in Extreme Calm in Extreme Salt ....
.it does ok in small under tow but it starts moving to fast you will know it...by increase in noise..

I am not paid, receive no compensation Nor do I pick one detector over another they all have their place .....My Findings....are that mine ....am I finished No....I am Retired and do not need the money....every day is Saturday and My life focus is living Well....Nearing forty hours in water submerged waist to neck 4 gold rings ...l love my hobby.... water golf......hope all yours are a hole in one 

Happy Trails

jimpugh 

The noise when the coil to control box connector is immersed and then comes out of the water is apparently due to a change in capacitance due to the water. 

Running salt water is tougher than still water as far as noise.

The 12” coil may not be ideal for wading where the constantly changing volume and velocity of salt water makes it hard to detect with “normal” settings.

The more users, the more usage, the better we will all understand how to use this tool.

It is not for everyone or for all conditions/targets. Fisher is well aware that any beach detector is a niche machine. Now we will learn what niches (plural) this machine excels in and some will learn how to extract previously unreachable jewelry. 

6 hours ago, jimpugh said:

I could get it to work well as long as the connector was above water or stayed below water ....but forget in and out Continually.... severe head ache

Makes more of a case for the more expensive connector that was talked about some in an earlier thread. Or possibly a hard wired coil option.

Nearing forty hours in water submerged waist to neck 4 gold rings

Big thumbs up!!

...l love my hobby.... water golf......hope all yours are a hole in one 

Amen!

Thanks much for the reports!!

I wonder if this would work for the connector for the AQ. At least it wouldn't harm anything.

We used a moisture sealant on the connectors on the old Emergency Locator Transmitters in the Air Force. It worked very well and the ELT was located in the unpressurized dorsal just before the tail section exposed to adverse conditions. The sealant had very low adhesion which would easily peel off the connector and unit without any residue.

Mike

How about a silicone boot that can be rolled back to connect, than rolled forward to seal?? Cheap and replaceable!! 

Also, Plasti-Dip has a fairly low adhesion, and can be peeled off as well!! Another cheap fix, but not as pretty!👍👍

5 hours ago, Rick Kempf said:

It’s not water intrusion into the connector, it’s the capacitance added by the presence of the salt water on the exterior of the connector - the PI causes a hell of a spike when the current is cut off in microseconds. 

Rick,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the coil connector in a metal housing that is  shielded? If this is true as soon as the exposed shield makes contact with saltwater that will change the capacitance since it's conductive.

From what I gathered from this and previous posts, if the connector is getting splashed, in and out of the water with waves. The AQ will sense that and respond. If the connector is either totally submerged or out of the water it behaves normal, Then isolating the shield from the saltwater with  sealant might help.

Mike