Submerged Salt, Nearing 30 Hours

Jim..... you got it.  Pick your days.   Some days just aint worth the effort.  Even with the best of machines you just lack coil control and with a PI... a sensitivity PI.... you have to have some consistency with your movement.    Nothing beats a calm day when you can get that coil on the bottom and keep it there and hear those DEEP targets.   To much noise and you get brain dead fast and loose concentration and you end up listening to just those booming targets...... which a lot of times tend to be high conductors not gold unless its a recent drop or floaters like pull tabs and can slaw.

Rick... would that happen with most connectors?  I know say on the Nox and Aqua Sound when charging it allows current to go only one way... is it possible to do that on the connector in question and eliminate the back flow?

The connector is not metal, it is some type of high tech plastic like glass filled polyamide or similar.

My statement about changed or added capacitance is based on a discussion I read on Geotec forum a while back - it is NOT based on any deep understanding I have of electronic or electrical stuff.

6 hours ago, Mikeguard01 said:

Rick,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the coil connector in a metal housing that is  shielded? If this is true as soon as the exposed shield makes contact with saltwater that will change the capacitance since it's conductive.

From what I gathered from this and previous posts, if the connector is getting splashed, in and out of the water with waves. The AQ will sense that and respond. If the connector is either totally submerged or out of the water it behaves normal, Then isolating the shield from the saltwater with  sealant might help.

Mike

Mike,

The forum thread that discusses the AQ prototype change from metal to plastic connector follows. On the first page, Willy posts details of the decision to replace the metal connector with plastic and the consequences when the water movement crosses the connector. Thread link follows:

Impulse AQ Coil Connector - False Signals

2 hours ago, tvr said:

Mike,

The forum thread that discusses the AQ prototype change from metal to plastic connector follows. On the first page, Willy posts details of the decision to replace the metal connector with plastic and the consequences when the water movement crosses the connector. Thread link follows:

Impulse AQ Coil Connector - False Signals

Given the various reports on this forum of noise generated by the dipping of the coil connector in salt water, there is a possibility that FTP decides to use the SOURIAU coil connector made (stainless steel)  planned for the GOLD version also for to equip the final AQ version.

Just an educated guess, I am not in charge of that decision.😉

And just a note here to point out we are discussing two different issues. The coil connector issue is common on many submersible detectors, though it may be worse on the AQ than in most. It’s not the major concern. It is reports of false signals when salt water runs fast past the coil or is just in salt water at all. In other words, salinity false signals unrelated to the coil connector issue. It is that problem that people are surmising a small coil will help with. A smaller coil does nothing in the case of the coil connector.

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

And just a note here to point out we are discussing two different issues. The coil connector issue is common on many submersible detectors, though it may be worse on the AQ than in most. It’s not the major concern. It is reports of false signals when salt water runs fast past the coil or is just in salt water at all. In other words, salinity false signals unrelated to the coil connector issue. It is that problem that people are surmising a small coil will help with. A smaller coil does nothing in the case of the coil connector.

Yes! And I am hoping to hear more experiences in moving water (not connector water wash related) with delay set around 10 to 11.5. As Skullgolddiver noted, many PI's that are used in the water have significantly higher pulse delays. And of course hoping for the stainless steel connector on the production model; even if it needs to be coated with conductive grease to maintain the warranty.

The connector, and the coil size both seem like they are easily fixed at this stage in development! Hopefully they are on the punch list! I think i saw where Rick mentioned a possible 8-9in. coil addition!

Also Steve, you said this connector issue is common to other detectors! Does that include submersible VLF's??👍👍

( Not putting you on the spot Steve, anyone can answer!!)🙂

Common is a relative term. More common among PI detectors due to the high voltages being produced, but not unheard of in a VLF. It is another reason besides eliminating a leak point that so many dive detectors have a hardwired coil. The reality is it is a rare issue to actually experience since there are so few submersible high power PI detectors sold that use such connectors.

It’s possible to have a detector that has the connector issue and to never know about it. My Infinium, if I used it in water, was always fully submerged. I have no idea if any of the ones I owned did it or not. They did not do it to me the way I used them is all I know. But I’ve heard other Infinium owners say they have run into it.

My excaliburs (VLF) and infinium had that issue with the coil connectors, ..One reason I went back to hard wired on the excaliburs..Also I found removing the control pod of the excal from the saltwater helps a lot also. Which I plan to do with the AQ down the road. Just need a longer coil cable so all fits nicely under the drysuit. Both the excalibur and the AQ share a lot of the same issues when it comes to rushing saltwater..But the AQ's audio is 2X what the excals is......

The reason I'm loving my audio cut off on the AQ...

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

But I’ve heard other Infinium owners say they have run into it.

My Infinium had that problem where the coil wire connected to the box. As soon as it touched the salt water or my wet trunks a signal was generated.