First Gold Chain(s) With The Nox

When I purchased the Equinox 800 many moons ago the main reason was because of its reputation for being able to find gold chains. From bench testing I knew that it would indeed give a good tone and TID on a medium sized gold chain but, unlike many of my Nox toting brethren, my 800 couldn't seem to come up with that elusive target- until yesterday. Now I don't typically use the Nox at the beach, just fresh water, and that is probably the reason for my past struggles. 

In the wet sand at the beach, depending on conditions, many of the lightweight, low conductor targets are washed away so when you get a low TID number there is a better chance of finding something good as compared to the lake. At the lake, the low conductor targets like aluminum foil, bits of pull-tabs and bottle caps pretty much stay where they fall making it more challenging to find the small gold since the TID's are similar.

Using the Nox in Gold 2 mode and with the 6" coil I spent all day at one of my favorite freshwater sites. I was finding lots of targets and quite a bit of it was trash but, usually, this spot rewards me for my efforts and after about 3 hours I had a couple of small gold rings. One of the rings came up with a quarter in the scoop so I'm sure that I was actually hearing the coin and just got lucky. My luck continued a short time later when I scooped out low TID and found a gleaming yellow gold chain bracelet. The bracelet was somewhat stiff so my guess is that it had been there a while. It is stamped "14K Italy" and weighs 4 grams.

A couple hours later I was working in water a little over waist deep when I got a strong, repeating, "1" TID on the detector. It didn't take long to retrieve it and soon I was looking at a sight that I live to see-  a long, clean, glistening, gold chain hanging over the edge of my scoop- what a sight! I love finding any gold but gold chains are so rare for me that these moments are special and surreal. The chain is stamped "14K", weighs 8 grams and is 22" long. My wife likes it so one small repair and it will once again take its place in the world above ground.

IMG_20200812_091900.jpg.f9cc70eefd26eee3a8137e2b5b091c7a.jpg

Obviously, I did a whole lot of digging yesterday.Most of the other jewelry is costume jewelry but there are a couple of silvers in there. I was surprised with the number of nickels that I found. I rarely find more nickels than dimes or quarters. The funny looking staple shaped object on the bottom left was actually a ring at one time. It is stamped 925 and is turned inside out.

IMG_20200811_225042__01.jpg.cfc165dbaba20cfbcffdf7cdd3e4938e.jpg

IMG_20200812_093032.jpg.1573443a451bba7c25bc66d98e154fdc.jpg

A great day in the water for me. Even after finding the gold necklace I hunted a couple more hours trying to find more gold. I wish I could have gotten a video of the gold but I, AGAIN, had GoPro problems and my disk was saying full before I found my first piece of gold. Maybe next time. GL&HH!

5 minutes ago, midalake said:

WOW, you dug that all in one day?????   HOLLY. 😲

When I look at the picture it is hard for me to believe how much stuff I scoop up too. I was in the water for over 10 hours and maybe finding a target every 3 or 4 minutes which comes out to 150-200 targets which looks about right.

54 minutes ago, Skullgolddiver said:

Best reward after a long battle!

Thanks Skull, Yes, even without the gold neck chain it would have been an awesome hunt but seeing that long chain dangling from the scoop made this hunt truly special and unforgettable.

Prune fingers/toes = lots of rewards., Great job!!! I get prune fingers just from the humidity here in PA/ and no gold with it!! Glad to see your finding good stuff.

4 minutes ago, dogodog said:

Prune fingers/toes = lots of rewards., Great job!!! I get prune fingers just from the humidity here in PA/ and no gold with it!! Glad to see your finding good stuff.

Thanks Dog, You could add "sore muscles" to that as well. Glad that I am retired now since I need all day to recover from that marathon.

5 minutes ago, phrunt said:

ID 1 is a good number on the Nox 🙂

Well done, incredible hunt and a whole lot of digging there.

Thanks phrunt, It is but I wonder how many "1's" I had previously dug before finding that first gold chain- one hundred? two hundred? more? Totally worth it though!