Whites MX Sport Waterproof Metal Detector

I think the use of 8 AA's makes me more inclined to think it is based on the MXT tech...

with a new PC board it is interesting it needs 12V, why not 9V and 6 AA's?

and they still tout the same # of hours as the MXT...

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys

This detector may not need the power you see in the power pack. I can give it but I've put a voltage regulator that will give you a longer run time. Now White's has made you happy with a great detector and it's so easy on batteries.

Chuck 

You may want to read the Owners Manual for the MX Sport.

page 25:

"To adjust SAT when All Metal, Relic, or Prospecting programs are in use: Press Options and use the arrows to select SAT. Use the + & - to select levels 0 = no SAT to 6 = Hyper SAT. Use the SAT speed nearest “0” that maintains a steady continuous threshold hum. Quicker SAT speed settings, near to 6 (Hyper SAT), require quicker search coil sweep speeds due to the fact that fast SAT can tune out metal target responses if swept too slowly. Select the slowest (lowest number) SAT speed that maintains a steady threshold and no faster. Match the speed the search coil is swept to the SAT speed. Practice with a target above the ground to assure the search coil is being swept briskly enough to respond to targets."

There seems to be an assumption that 20+ hours means 20 hours. Manual page 5:

"The MX-Sport operates for up to 40 hours (without backlight) using eight quality “AA” batteries."

20+ hours is just playing it safe for somebody running the machine in cold water with the backlight on or other circumstances that might result in a less than optimum running time.

Plus - it is all preliminary information subject to change.

As to whether the MX Sport outperforms the MXT or vice versa is nothing but speculation at this point. I am 100% certain personally both will have their place. There is no real reason everyone with an MXT should get an MX Sport and I doubt White's intends that. The idea is to convince a potential Fisher or a Garrett etc customer to buy a White's instead, and I am sure White's would be fine with people buying either model.

Auminesweeper

Oh well my cup runs over with nugget detectors. I want it more for coin hunting and the waterproof part of it.

Please don't rain on my parade.Haha

Chuck

Guys, you all need to remember one thing.  This is NOT a true prospecting machine.  Just like the MXT is not.  It is a multi purpose machine, designed for being able to do a little of everything.  The coin mode may end up being the best feature.  The prospecting mode is good, but it is not dialed in to be pure nugget hunting machine.

This, like the MXT, was designed to be the "one fits all" detector for the guy who wants to try detecting for everything.  They took the best features of a top of the line coin machine and an excellent nugget machine and combined those into one.  One machine for the guy on a limited budget who can't afford to get two or three machines to cover all the bases well.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was ONE machine that operated like a GMT, a V3I, a TDI, and a 2300, all in one package?  Not going to happen.

Digger

On 1/31/2016 at 10:54 AM, OregonGregg said:

I feel Steve hit the nail on the head. Whites just needs to overhaul their coil line up.  When they introduced the MX5 with a  9" Spider Coil, I thought maybe they might start redesigning the eclipse series of coils.  The fact that one of the three coils that will be available for the MX Sport is the ol' 950 coil. That coil was introduced in 1988, was a bit thinner, then fattened up through the years.  Why they still have that coil around, when the 9" Spider ( a much better coil I feel) is available is beyond me.

With the introduction of the MX Sport would have also been a good time to introduce a new series of coils. And i really feel they need to have a coil adapter in which to use all eclipse coils. Heck I have 5-6 eclipse coils already and a few SEF as well. If I have to buy another round of the exact same coils ( different connection) in order to use the MX Sport, it becomes less appealing.  I personally really don't have a need for a waterproof machine, and if I can't use existing coils.....well I will prob pass on this machine and just keep using my MXT Pro and M6 if I want to use a Whites machine.

I am still not convinced that performance wise, it will exceed the performance of the MXT(s). In fact the more I look at this machine the more convinced I am it is just an expanded Treasure Pro with functions to mimic what the MXT(s) could do and leverage the very popular MXT name. ( as far as performance, I look at this from a ghost town ,iron infested site P.O.V.) Which as of now, being I hunt iron infested sites, I need a small coil for this machine, not the three that are currently available with the machine. 

LOL The one advantage of the MX Sport is that it leaked out during the "cabin fever" period and gives us a chance to get our minds off winter and concoct great conspiracy theories and what not.  Last winter it was the Racer buzz, this winter the MX Sport.

These are the things I'm concerned with as well Gregg.

Digital mimicry of the MXT and small coil must have.

Treasure Pro's were a rushed mistake when compared with ID units in that price range and lower.

Really hoping these new units are as operationally as close to perfect as Whites should be able to produce, as I love the ergonomic look, digital, backlight/frontlight ect. Here's hoping...