Whites MX Sport Waterproof Metal Detector

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Paul!

OK, regarding your concern that any given two tones in the 8 tone or especially 20 tone mode may be too close for some people to hear the difference, making two tone areas blend together. There appears to be a solution on the MX Sport in the form of the previously mentioned Rejection Volume.

On most detectors notching out or rejecting a certain target segment causes items that fall in that segment to make no sound at all. With the MX Sport, you can set the Rejection Volume to a percentage, for instance 20% or 50%, and instead of being completely eliminated those items would be heard at 20% volume or 50% volume levels respectively.

The solution then if you get two adjacent tones would be to set one of the tones to reject, and then also set the Rejection Volume to, for instance, 50%. The accepted tone would be a full volume tone and the other tone at 50% volume would be very easy to distinguish.

Guest Paul (Ca)

Thanks Steve!

That's fantastic news, ok that's a good solution to the tone's being so close, with the tone volume adjustable will be allot easier to distinguish tones especially 8 and 20 tone feature.

Steve, already made up my mind I'm getting the MX Sport. Sold my AT Gold my only water proof VLF, the MX Sport will surely do well using prospecting mode for our black sand, I've always preferred the GMT/MXT all metal over the AT Gold.

Being a two tone user for relic hunting, its still good to know if using more tones for gold jewelry hunting the iron tone volume can be reduced making it much easier to distinguish iron from foil tone.

Thanks again Steve for taking the time, appreciate the help and good news!

HH, Paul

You are welcome Paul, just studying up and finding out what I can about it prior to getting one myself. Sold my V3i to make room - much as it was fun to play with just feature overkill for me anyway. They are saying about three weeks until we can get our hands on the MX Sport so we can compare notes once we get ours. MAP is $749 so time to line up a deal.

At least with the MX Sport we will be able to get our fingers around the coil and headphone connections. Those recessed fittings on the AT series are an annoyance for me. Wish the MX Sport headphone connection was underarm however instead of on front of pod. Oh well, there is always something!

Now White's has a video just to tell you the price. I just seen it over on MD-hunter. I think the price has been said on here before but here it is again 799.

Well I've got to have one and I need to move a detector are two. This kid has got to get out of this candy store.

I think this forum is finer than frog hair but the trouble is I can't buy all what seen. Another great thing about this forum is if it's out there you will see it here first.

Chuck

Guest Paul (Ca)

Steve,

Just sent an email to my Whites dealer in my area, a good friend he's been a Whites dealer over 40 years.

Hopefully, he has the MX Sport ordered I'd like to order from him plus he's local. Plus, give me opportunity to drive up there and spend some time with both him and his lovely wife.

With him, I don't mind paying full price for a new machine although he does cut me good deals on vintage equipment.

With the headphone connection on the pod, yeah I feel the same but ok with Whites decision placing it there. I've gotten used to some UK models having the plug behind the pod, I'm ok with both locations.

Can't wait to try the MX Sport, think it's going to be a nice detector. Maybe my Whites dealer friend and I can take a quick drive up to Gold country, he lives just about 20-30 miles from some of the best relic sites.

By the way, that's a cool looking 10" center mount coil. Whites hit a home run with this DD :)

Paul

There is one thing I discovered accidently in field testing.  I'm not sure if, or how, they adjusted to this, maybe color coding.  The pod connectors for the loop and the headphones are almost identical.  Even though one is 4 pin and the other 8 pin, it's possible to plug the loop connector into the headphone plug on the unit.  Do this and the detector will turn on but nothing happens, won't detect obviously.  It could lead to someone thinking the detector is malfunctioning.

Just something to remember if one unfamiliar with it.

so this detector will do it all? coin/relic/gold. interesting.

Well not all gambler. I didn't see a digging arm on it. As I grow older I think my arms are getting shorter. That's why I always hunt up hill are into the side of a bank.

Chuck