Whites MX Sport Waterproof Metal Detector

Supposedly there is a waterproof headphone set available, they are just secret. No real response so far on the White's forum on the question posed two days ago...

http://forums.whiteselectronics.com/showthread.php?75424-MX-Sport-Waterproof-HeadPhones

Steve Howard of White's posted on the same forum that "The first two accessory search coils do reduce overall weight nearly 1 lbs, however, they do float."

"Wow, a pound lighter" I thought! I had visions of putting one of the accessory coils on and having a machine at just over three pounds. That would have had to mean that stock coil is one heavy monster though. Your 4 ounce difference between stock coil and 950 means they did a good job keeping the weight of the 10" coil reasonable but that it is only going to shave 4 ounces going to the 950. The Eclipse 10" x 6" DD weighs in right at a pound (16 oz) less cable weight so there you go. The 10 x 6 was going to be my go to coil on the MX Sport but it is only going to shave a couple ounces at best.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used the 950 coils underwater and they float like a 6 man river raft.  I have had the 950 coils open and there is a lot of white foam and dead air space that a small child could survive for some time. What happened to that flat 950 coil they had way back when? Bring it back!  I would only suggest to use the accessory coils on land. We know the 10 inch DD sinks and that's what you need in the water.

In regards to the "being 1 pound lighter".. It's possible that if you don't weight the batteries the mxs is right at 4 pounds.  Then if you stick the 950 coil on it you would be down to around 3lbs 12 oz.  Then using complicated math you would end up with the equation 4 - 3.75 ="s 1 pound. I don't know that anyone builds a coil that weight 4 ounces?

I do understand the need for the beach float and no float issues. I do not hunt the water so that was not my consideration. Initially it was announced that the stock coil was epoxy filled and the accessory coils are not so that was the reason I was asking the questions as far as weight so I could use that data to make my decision.  

2 minutes ago, bowwinkles said:

I do understand the need for the beach float and no float issues. I do not hunt the water so that was not my consideration. Initially it was announced that the stock coil was epoxy filled and the accessory coils are not so that was the reason I was asking the questions as far as weight so I could use that data to make my decision.  

Did you see I posted the info you wanted?

yes, thank you it is some of the information I needed. Because of some of my findings I have now moved my target to yet another machine. I do not feel that Whites has the MXS up to par yet and once it gets the same type of going over as Garrett did with the ATP when it came out then I might re consider.

As regard floating and non-floating coils that issue has been solved for many years by manufacturers. There simply is no reason for big fat foam filled coils anymore - they are a relic from days gone by.

So Kenny, you saying the MX Sport weighs more than 4 lbs with batteries? White's has always included battery weight in quoted weights in the past and if they are not doing so now that is news. So what does the MX Sport weigh with batteries etc. as shipped?

MXS with batteries is 4lbs 6.6 oz.  8-AA batteries weight 6.6oz. just looking at the machine it looks lean. I know the beefed up handle is thick but still don't see it?   It is built like a tank for sure.