Whites MX Sport Waterproof Metal Detector

thanks iqwozpoom, but I don't know what that means(vco), I'm not a md nerd(I mean that in a compliment kind of way) like you and steve and everybody else here

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, gambler said:

thanks, does my gmt have modulation? and why would anyone care if the target is deep or shallow if you id it as gold, then you dig right.

Well sure, if you are nugget detecting, just beep/dig. However as a multipurpose machine the MX Sport has to suit lots of people for lots of reasons, not just nugget detecting. All nugget detectors including the GMT have modulated audio. If targets sound stronger or weaker, that is modulated audio.

Metal detecting ultimately is still very much an audio based activity and the amount of nuance conveyed via the audio can produce amazing results for the best hunters. I do not necessarily correct not myself in that group! I am more a long hours dig tons of targets brute force sort of detectorist. That said, I can't recall the last time I ever used a machine that did not employ modulated audio. It is pretty much standard on all high end units.

thanks I think I understand. this stuff is can get complicated huh.

I just posted an air test video of the Racer 2 which shows modulation very well so check it out. Close to the coil coins bang out and fade with distance - that is modulation. Without they just bang out the same from close to far away, and disappear suddenly when they hit max distance.

Like I said, different stokes for different folks, and very often a hearing thing. Modulation sucks if you have bad hearing and miss faint targets.

I understand now, thanks. but I have bad hearing so,if I can I should turn modulation off. If the detector allows it. right?

Hmm, I love VCO, but with modulation turned off and you already know its a weak signal from VCO being on, should be a LOT easier to pinpoint with Modulation OFF, so why not just switch back and forth between the 2 modes on deeper targets to evaluate whether to dig or not? I sure would.

1 hour ago, gambler said:

I understand now, thanks. but I have bad hearing so,if I can I should turn modulation off. If the detector allows it. right?

Most machines are modulated, and then offer a Boost Mode, which enhances weaker signals. Not quite the same thing as it also enhances weak ground responses but it is an alternative.

Unmodulated audio is most common on inexpensive coin detectors. The Garrett Ace models and the Garrett "bell tone" is a classic example.

Well at this time I've put my name in the pot from Digger Bob to get the MXS as soon as the 6 x 10 coils come in.

I'd had plan on being at the GPAA gold show this weekend but Rob said he didn't know just when he'd have the Racer 2.

I guess I could have gone and seen the MXS but I wanted it anyway because it can swim.

Chuck 

My gmt has audio boost, maybe I need better headphones . Thanks for the education