Any Tips On Beach Hunting?

Beaches in the wet sand are about the energy that was there in the previous 12 hours or so.  Try to look at a site that will tell you if there were big waves or frequent smaller waves before you get there.  Hunt beaches that have had a big parking lot in the past or now.  Chase did a good job with his post.

I pretty much went 'all in' on this thread and don't have any more to add without learning a specific beach which takes feet on the sand.  There is no substitute.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

Beaches in the wet sand are about the energy that was there in the previous 12 hours or so.  Try to look at a site that will tell you if there were big waves or frequent smaller waves before you get there.  Hunt beaches that have had a big parking lot in the past or now.  Chase did a good job with his post.

I pretty much went 'all in' on this thread and don't have any more to add without learning a specific beach which takes feet on the sand.  There is no substitute.

I think I may have stumbled on this thread a while back. Thanks so much for the refresh, and your advice is comprehensive and solid. 🙂 Parking lots and weather are other great considerations, this island has beaches to the north, south, and east. Huge parking lot at two of them. There are a couple of places I'm deliberately not mentioning and I hope to learn of more. 😈

Yes I'm geting some info for myself, but I hope this will become a sort of reference, so I won't talk much about my buddies from Austria that have my back. 😀 It was a pleasure and an honor to have met and hunted with Chase.

I was kinda sad at first because no one responded but it's really great to have y'all weighing in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I lived in the Northeast (New England) most of my life, in cities and suburbs.

😀 I do miss Brimfield Flea market tho.

You were right in my back yard. I'm just a couple towns over from it and only been to Brimfield flea market once or twice. 😄 I avoid it due to the fact that I would always find something to buy. My house can't take any more weight! Don't be sad that responses don't happen quickly. You never know when people will read your post or if they even see it at all. Time is always limited and I sometimes read posts for the first time that were months old. As for advice on beach hunting..... you've had some good advice already, so I will try and not repeat much. For me, all of my detecting life, I have always relied on two things: 1) My inner voice that says go there, no matter how improbable the area may be. 2) On a beach I dig it all, unless there are some newly exposed areas. In that case I use a discriminator to get the easy targets. Most of the last 8 or 9 hunts, I dug everything. If you are healthy enough, use it as exercise. If you are not healthy enough, use a discriminator and dig wisely. But either way use beach detecting to enjoy yourself. I never tell myself I have to find gold or silver. I wish it, but don't put any pressure on myself. But when I do find it, I get really, really focused 😬      😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

You were right in my back yard. I'm just a couple towns over from it and only been to Brimfield flea market once or twice. 😄 I avoid it due to the fact that I would always find something to buy. My house can't take any more weight! Don't be sad that responses don't happen quickly. You never know when people will read your post or if they even see it at all. Time is always limited and I sometimes read posts for the first time that were months old. As for advice on beach hunting..... you've had some good advice already, so I will try and not repeat much. For me, all of my detecting life, I have always relied on two things: 1) My inner voice that says go there, no matter how improbable the area may be. 2) On a beach I dig it all, unless there are some newly exposed areas. In that case I use a discriminator to get the easy targets. Most of the last 8 or 9 hunts, I dug everything. If you are healthy enough, use it as exercise. If you are not healthy enough, use a discriminator and dig wisely. But either way use beach detecting to enjoy yourself. I never tell myself I have to find gold or silver. I wish it, but don't put any pressure on myself. But when I do find it, I get really, really focused 😬      😄

Went to Brimfield every year for a long time. Only lived about 10 miles away when I went rural. Made a lot of money dealing in old cameras for fun. I took my wife there a few years back, she got a $15,000 mink coat for $75. At least that was the appraisal.

When I find silver and it's been rare, I get really happy. Buttons have always made my day. I also have that inner voice that has paid off quite a few times! 

In any new place I will dig it all until I memorize the tone patterns. Probably should dig it all even then. Don't much dig iron but anything above 1. 😀 Good tip again! I look forward to what you post.

I'm healthy enough to need MORE exercise.🙄

Right now I'm outside and a couple of F16s are having a mock dogfight. The sky ain't rural. 🤪

• Like 1

6 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Don't much dig iron but anything above 1.

I have turned up the iron volume on my 800 settings and I dig many of the below 0 targets and in some cases they are very good.  Learn your beach and you may learn that a negative number in the wet, salt sand can turn into a good target and in some cases a ring.  Muttled sound can be a good sign for things like chains.  Often times tho it turns into a shielded penny.

• Thanks 1