How The Government Makes A Metal Detector Test Bed

Abstract

Metal detectors are basic tools used in humanitarian demining throughout the world. Because of the importance of these instruments, a document has been produced with broad international support that standardizes the testing of metal detectors. This document was produced by CEN Workshop 7 and is known as a CEN Workshop Agreement (CWA 14747). In particular, tests for determining detection capability are specified.

Some soils have magnetic properties that can influence metal detectors, causing them to alarm when no metal is present. This is one of the main factors limiting the effectiveness of metal detectors in some mined areas of the world. Many modern detectors incorporate techniques that allow the detector to reject the effects of the ground while maintaining metal detection capability. An important test in CWA 14747 is to determine the effect of problematic soils on a detector and the effectiveness of any such "ground compensation" function.

JRC is engaged in a metal detector testing programme and already has some magnetic soil on which to perform tests. However, a further soil was required that better represents the problematic soils found in many parts of the world. A soil was required with a high frequency-dependent magnetic susceptibility.

Using existing knowledge about the relationship between soil magnetism and other soil properties, areas in Italy that were likely to have soils with the required properties were predicted. Zones were identified based on ecopedological and geological maps. Several areas investigated were in Tuscany. Using further local information from the Tuscan Regional soil science service, more precise locations were identified.

A brief field survey confirmed the locations where the appropriate "Terra Rossa" soil could be found. A large container of the soil (~1m3) was then transported to the JRC facilities at Ispra where it was installed in a soil test box. The soil in this box proves to have ideal properties for testing the detection capability of detectors in soil.

To read the rest see Identifying and Obtaining Soil for Metal-Detector Testing

For en extremely detailed report on testing methods and results with several metal detectors see Systematic Test & Evaluation of Metal Detectors

• Like 2

They are all mine detecting models. This is an area of huge interest for humanitarian reasons and so has been subject to a lot of funding and study. The Minelab F1A4 mentioned is the machine that gave us the housing for the ill fated Relic Hawk and Golden Hawk models.

Government. Saving money and time. Crazy thoughts klunker.

Crikey, no doubt will not be long and there will be detector accreditation courses by our respective governments.

" All current detector operators either amateur or professional need not apply for the trainees positions of such accreditation course unless they have suitable documentation indicating their proficiency with said detectors."

How`s that for a bit of bureaucratic dribble, my tongue is firmly in my cheek. 

Interesting...... don't have time to read the whole article right now....First thing that came to my mind is that they probably could have found ground like that somewhere here in the USA but instead got a free extended trip to Italy on our dime.  I can hear it now...."you guys done yet?"  "No boss a couple more weeks...this soil is very challenging" 

strick

It is a European project.

Acknowledgements

Special thanks are due to Jacqueline Hannam of the University of Liverpool, whose knowledge of soil magnetism and the prediction of magnetic properties from other geological and soil data enabled the location of suitable soil to be so efficient.

Nicola Filippi of the European Soil Bureau at JRC supplied ecopedological maps of Italy and contact details for Regional soil science experts.

Andrea Vinci, a soil scientist at Regione Toscana supplied GIS data of soil, geological and other key information that meant that most of the work was done before the field survey began. The authors are very grateful to Dr Vinci for this help.

The authors are indebted to Professor Vlado Valković and Jasmina Obhodas of the Ruder Bosković Institute in Zagreb. Data collected from measurements on the extensive soil bank built up by IRB were a vital part of the understanding of which soil types have the magnetic properties that are most important for detectors.

Many thanks to Matt Pike for his tireless and enthusiastic work and to Giuseppe Antonello and Marco Basso who did the (literal) spade-work.

Finally the authors are extremely grateful to Laura and Cesare Dell'Aquila who were only too happy to allow us to take a large amount of soil away from their farm in Ancaiano and to spend time helping us collect and load it.

It is a European project.

Opps....Sorry Steve, I need to quit being so judgmental (it's an election year)   I see now that some of my pisano's are involved in the project. I'm half Sicilian...but the other half is from Oklahoma.

strick