GPX 6000 U.S. Owners Reports

Got mine today, at last. I put a spare GPZ cover on and tightened it with velcro (see pic). The cover is a bit big, but better than nothing. My first impression is that it is just incredibly easy to hold, from and ergonomic perspective truly fantastic. I does of course weigh more than the GM, but it almost does not seem that way. Of course this is old news as many have said before how well designed it is, but you really have to feel it for yourself to believe it. Tomorrow 5 am is testing (and learning) time in the AZ desert 🙂

6000.thumb.JPG.c188316fef24a6ba2e7d7fe9f24d5e5f.JPG

So, I managed to spend a few hours in the desert until the temperature hit >100 deg C, which was at around 10 am or so. Let me tell you, this machine is incredible. I charged both the battery and headset over night and paired it in the morning without a problem. I followed the manual and held the 11 inch coil steady over the ground while turning the machine on so it could do it's start up cycle. The first thing I noticed is how quickly the cycle completed which was less than 10 sec. It started in Auto 1/difficult which is the default setting. The first thing I did was to turn on the threshold (hold ground mode button for about 3 sec) followed by noise cancel/ quick track. The quick track is best done by first pumping the coil with QT button pressed and then swinging from side to side at the end, close over ground. This does a very good job in ground balancing. There was still some EMI noise remaining but it was manageable. Switching from difficult to normal did not make the EMI noticeably worse, this was a nice surprise. For most of the morning I was running in Auto 1/normal/ threshold-on without a problem. What I did however was a noise cancel fairly regularly as I moved along, probably every 10 min or so. I highly recommend everybody to do the noise cancel often during detecting, it can really make a big difference in keeping the EMI in check. One observation I made was that right after the completion of the noise cancel the threshold was rock stable, but after 5 sec or so the EMI noise slightly creeped back up (without any movement of the coil). Not sure why that is, but it was no big deal. Overall, the noise cancel works very well and allows to run the machine at higher sensitivity or Auto1. I was even able to detect in Auto 2/normal, something I would have never thought possible since this area is known to have EMI issues. The 11 inch coil is incredible sensitive and picks up very small targets at good depth (4-6 in) that would otherwise fall into surface GM territory. I now know why ML gave it a 5 star rating for small gold, it is just incredible what it can pick up. I do recommend that you turn off all electronic devices, like cell phone and GPS units, while using the machine. Just airplane mode on the cell phone won't do it. Also, metal free boots is really recommended as the coil hears everything, similarly to the 7000 when running in HY/Normal at high gain. The 11 mono works very well for pinpointing, with the max sensitivity somewhere around the 12 o clock position, where the ML sign is. But this is just my first impression. You don't need a pinpointer at all with the 11 inch. In fact, when you turn on your pinpointer an EMI concert starts that is so horrible that you never want to turn on a pinpointer again, ever. So don't even bother. This might become an issue though with the 17 inch coil when you dig deeper holes and a pinpointer would be needed. The 7000 you can turn away from the hole and using the pinpointer is then not too terrible, but with the 6000 this appears to be a bigger issue, at least with the 11 inch coil. But as I said, you don't need any pinpointer with this coil. I then played with the sensitivity and noticed that you can go all the way down to the first level without loosing much. The threshold becomes rock stable but you still hear small targets almost without any loss. This has been reported by others as well and I can absolutely confirm that. I suspect though that you take a hit with depth (something has to give...), but I need to experiment with it further. One thing that I can highly recommend is to pay close attention to coil control and speed. The 11 inch will miss targets when you swing to fast, so take your time. Slow steady swing speed will not only ensure that you pick up targets much better, it also overall seems to be of great benefit for managing ground mineralization and even EMI (for whatever reason). So, swing the 11 slowly and you will get the most of it. Overall, the 6000 is an incredible detector and all the reports by others who praised the 6000 are absolutely correct. It is almost like ML opened a new chapter for metal detecting. This detector is a quantum leap away from all other detectors that I have ever used thus far. It is light weight (with the 11 inch coil it feels easier than swinging a GM-I kid you not!), ergonomically designed to perfection, ultra sensitive while at the same time being easy to manage. I do not miss at all the settings that the 7000 offers and it almost gives you a good feeling to just run in Auto1 and let the smart electronics do all the work for you. It shifts the focus more on the ground and on your being in harmony with the detector, instead of constantly having to think about adjusting settings. Really, guys, this detector is outstanding and will blow your mind. After just one day of detecting I almost feel that I never want to swing any other detector again, ever. I am absolutely in love with this machine and I applaud ML for their unmatched ingenuity. I managed to pick up two small pickers in a heavily hunted area before a heat stroke was looming. Many more will come with this machine I have no doubt. 

pickers.JPG.af11bb941ee3ac45cf5440a6daa9eca7.JPG

Nice report and thanks!  Mine should be here Tues. but 100 degree forecast pretty much means this pussy will be having at least 1 week off (unless the new toy excitement overwhelms me and I gotta toughen up, suck it up, and go out to try it out....lol).

• The title was changed to GPX 6000 U.S. Owners Reports

Hey Guys,

Great reports.  I managed to get just a bit of time on mine this weekend, but made sure I ran it across some ground I hit pretty good prior.  I managed to find 6 small gold nuggets I missed with prior detectors.  

I didn't even read the manual, just took the unit out of the box after the battery charged and winged it.  I might have been running it wrong ..... LOL, but still managed to find 6 dinks.  

First impression, super lightweight, extremely sensitive, like the fact you can use the external speaker, headphones (wired or bluetooth).  The unit does compact down very small, perfect for a quad, quad box and such.  My GPZ 7000 won't break down small enough, have to always take break it apart to travel in my quad box.  

A few things I have to get used to, the 3 piece shaft seems to be much more flimsy than I'm used to and hope there is a headphone jack conversion to 1/4" as I prefer other headphones (wired).  

I should have another batch soon, the first batch was pre-sold and gone the moment they arrived.  Wishing you all much success with your new GPX 6000's!

Rob

2 hours ago, Rob Allison said:

Hey Guys,

Great reports.  I managed to get just a bit of time on mine this weekend, but made sure I ran it across some ground I hit pretty good prior.  I managed to find 6 small gold nuggets I missed with prior detectors.  

I didn't even read the manual, just took the unit out of the box after the battery charged and winged it.  I might have been running it wrong ..... LOL, but still managed to find 6 dinks.  

First impression, super lightweight, extremely sensitive, like the fact you can use the external speaker, headphones (wired or bluetooth).  The unit does compact down very small, perfect for a quad, quad box and such.  My GPZ 7000 won't break down small enough, have to always take break it apart to travel in my quad box.  

A few things I have to get used to, the 3 piece shaft seems to be much more flimsy than I'm used to and hope there is a headphone jack conversion to 1/4" as I prefer other headphones (wired).  

I should have another batch soon, the first batch was pre-sold and gone the moment they arrived.  Wishing you all much success with your new GPX 6000's!

Rob

Rob, yes me too on using my own headphones. The Equinox headphone adaptor is compatible. 

On 6/25/2021 at 5:30 PM, Gold Catcher said:

Many more will come with this machine I have no doubt.

Here is your video!

7 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Here is your video!

Thanks, Mitchel. It is actually Bill's video who took me and two friends, Randy and Craig, out to the San Domingo placers. It was fun (until the big red was rising...).

Well, I know it was Bill's but you are in it!  

Well done.

You're famous 🙂