My Trip To The Mojave Desert

15 minutes ago, aerospace guy said:

Gold Catcher..this is where I detect 99% of the time. I belong to 3 clubs that have claims in the area. I just posted a week or so ago about trouble with "hot rocks" with my EQ800 and asked for some tips. I think the EQ does ok and will find bird shot and -20(classified size) gold all day long. However, you are correct in saying there  R HRocks R on the surface and buried all over...some areas R more free of them than others. I used a GPX5000 for years out here and frankly the EQ does WAY better than it ever did! I know people say the 6000 will do good out here but I'd like to see it run out here to see for myself how it does. Good luck and hope you find some bigger gold. I found a 4.3 grammar this year there with the EQ.

Thanks for your comments, aerospace guy. And congrats to this beautiful nugget. Yes, there is also much bigger gold in this larger general area. One of which was the "Mojave Nugget" (156 troy oz).  

Starkly beautiful country. Thanks for the nice photos & report.

Maybe someday Tarsacci will produce their Gold specific MDT detector. It may have a better chance in dealing with the hot rocks & mineralization. Interesting dilemma.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Those hot rocks really separate the experts from the also-rans, no matter what detector is being used.  Well done!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice work.

We passed by your house yesterday driving down from Fairfield.
I hoped you were out somewhere fun.
Have great Holidays.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Those hot rocks really separate the experts from the also-rans, no matter what detector is being used.  Well done!

Thanks, GB_A. It was not easy to get these out in that difficult terrain. Quite honestly I am worried that detecting might not be the most efficient way to recover more gold from there. I have to think about what detector or setting I will be using the next time. I am pretty certain that there is more gold there and I suspect others have tried but given up due to all the false signals. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, flakmagnet said:

Nice work.

We passed by your house yesterday driving down from Fairfield.
I hoped you were out somewhere fun.
Have great Holidays.

Thanks, Dave. Enjoy the rain up here...Let's get together again soon in the new year. The area I was yesterday is close to where we were the last time 🙂

Happy Holidays to you and your family!

GC