One Touch Button To Check Targets / Horseshoe Button

Rrnp

The Equinox has an all metal mode or a user profile that takes one push of a button to check questionable targets. (With all metal or a different frequency) Will the Deus 2 have anything similar?  Do you have to go through a long set of functions?  Thanks from a future XP newbie.  

• The title was changed to One Touch Button To Check Targets / Horseshoe Button

13 hours ago, Rrnp said:

The Equinox has an all metal mode or a user profile that takes one push of a button to check questionable targets. (With all metal or a different frequency) Will the Deus 2 have anything similar?  Do you have to go through a long set of functions?  Thanks from a future XP newbie.  

The Equinox has the horseshoe button that instantly with one push accepts all targets in the full -9 to +40 ID range. Press it again and you are instantly back to your preset discrimination pattern. So, the horseshoe button does not create another mode by pressing it like Park, Field, or Beach. It just accepts all targets in the mode you are using.

The Deus 1 and it appears, the Deus 2 do not have a single button press that does this. You could have two saved custom programs side by side, one with all targets accepted like pressing the horseshoe button and one with the same program but with your chosen preset discrimination or notched pattern and toggle between them.

The Equinox's single or multiple digit notching is pretty easy using the accept/reject setting. At least with Deus 1, I found notching to be a pain in the butt. Maybe it will be easier and more accurate on Deus 2.

On Deus 2 you do have Iron Audio on or off along with volume levels, the Silencer with several levels and Bottle Cap reject.

Just now, Jeff McClendon said:

You could have two saved custom programs side by side, one with all targets accepted like pressing the horseshoe button and one with your chosen preset discrimination or notched pattern.

Do preset beach programs already have discrimination values on the Deus2?  There is no all meatal mode on the machine? 

Thanks  

Don't know about the Beach programs. The closest thing to a threshold based all metal mode on the Deus 1 and Deus 2 (like the Equinox 800 Gold modes) are the Gold Field and Relic modes, if that is what you are asking.......

If you are asking if there is a factory preset mode with no targets rejected as the default setting......I have no clue. With Deus 1 and the ORX, I just set the iron discrimination level wherever I want. I am assuming you can do that with any of the default detecting modes including the Beach modes by setting discrimination anywhere from -6.4 to +99. 

Reading the manual like Steve linked above is a good idea along with watching Gary Blackwell's videos and waiting for Hugh to answer.

Page 46 in the manual shows all of the programs and their factory default settings.

15 hours ago, Rrnp said:

Neither the Xp ORX, Deus nor Deus II have a  Remote Control “All Metal Button”. The Deus II manual recommends while in a Discrimination program using : 
• The visual target display for visual discrimination.
• Multi-tone mode for audio discrimination and/or bottle cap rejection
 Both the gold & relic programs are in All Metal. 

5 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

The Equinox has the horseshoe button that instantly with one push accepts all targets in the full -9 to +40 ID range. Press it again and you are instantly back to your preset discrimination pattern. So, the horseshoe button does not create another mode by pressing it like Park, Field, or Beach. It just accepts all targets in the mode you are using.

The Deus 1 and it appears, the Deus 2 do not have a single button press that does this. You could have two saved custom programs side by side, one with all targets accepted like pressing the horseshoe button and one with the same program but with your chosen preset discrimination or notched pattern and toggle between them.

The Equinox's single or multiple digit notching is pretty easy using the accept/reject setting. At least with Deus 1, I found notching to be a pain in the butt. Maybe it will be easier and more accurate on Deus 2.

On Deus 2 you do have Iron Audio on or off along with volume levels, the Silencer with several levels and Bottle Cap reject.

Per the Deus II manual (pages 14, 15, 17, 20 & 29) a combination of settings may get you closer when using  one of the discrimination programs: set the discrimination level ( such as -6.4 to 0); set pitch level (on allows threshold); set the threshold level (with pitch on); optional: adjust Iron volume and  Profile X-Y screen.

If the Deus II threshold “nulls” when the coil passes over a rejected target below the set discrimination level and/or the rejected target Target I.D.(T.I.D.) number is displayed you can check the display T.I.D. Reading. Selecting & setting the “iron volume level” may alert you to a rejected target for further investigation. The Profile X-Y screen should help determine further to dig or not. 

Perhaps a member with a XP Deus or Deus II could verify.

As a long time Deus and Equinox user, my take is that the horseshoe button is a necessary feature on the Equinox due to it's lack of an iron volume feature, and would be redundant on the Deus and Deus II because of iron volume.

The iron volume feature as implemented on Deus/Deus II enables the user to hear discriminated iron.  Why not just remove all discrimination as you would on the Equinox?  If you remove discrimination then you lose some of the benefits of the Deus discrimination filter that not only mutes iron target audio (if desired) and target IDs but it also serves to reduce adjacent ferrous target down-averaging of non-ferrous targets and enables reliable, stable operation of the Deus/Deus II multi-function display (aka the horseshoe display - not to be confused with horseshoe "mode" on the Equinox).  The horseshoe display on the Deus/Deus II provides visual indication of ferrous vs. non-ferrous targets as well as a depth/target signal strength display.  Having Disc set at least to 6 on Deus enables the horseshoe display to function reliably.  So, in my opinion, unless you are running one of the two pseudo all metal modes that don't use discrimination (i.e., Gold Field or Relic), there is actually a disadvantage to running with a 0 or negative disc setting.  Running with no disc also eliminates the low tone bin on Deus when running in multintones.  So 3 tones becomes 2 tones, and 4 tones, becomes 3 tones because Deus defines the low tone bin (equivalent to the iron volume tone) as anything below the disc breakpoint.

Regarding iron volume: I always utilize it on Deus regardless of mode unless I am using full tones with no discrimination (full tones does not support iron volume).  Having an iron volume feature obviates the need for the Equinox one-touch horseshoe button because you can hear the iron while simultaneously using discrimination and Deus does not clip the non-ferrous target audio like Equinox does if it senses a mixed ferrous/non-ferrous response such as what occurs with bottlecaps on Equinox.

Now you can easily set up custom programs to emulate the one-touch horseshoe button functionality.  For example you can enter the default Fast program with default discrimination and then enter the same program but modified to remove all discrimination in an adjacent custom program slot.  In this manner you can quickly shift between the two programs using the +/- program navigation buttons on the keypad.  Similarly, you can set up other side-by-side custom programs that vary a specific parameter such as the bottlecap filter, the silencer filter, discrimination, or frequency (for the mono program) and quickly shift between two or more custom configurations using the +/- program navigation buttons.  This enables you to do some rather sophisticated target interrogation on the fly simply by switching between custom program variants. 

On Deus II, you get 12 custom program slots (4 more than Deus I) in addition to the 12 factory default modes.  By thoughtfully setting up your custom programs in groups of 2, 3, or 4 you can set up a number of profiles depending on the type of detecting you want to do.  For example, you can set up 4 custom coinshooting programs, one with broad target sensitivity or deep seeking or a cherry picking program for general search and 2 or 3 for interrogating iffy targets with different base modes (e.g., Sensitive vs. Fast or Park vs. Deep High Conductor) that instantly apply or remove various filters such as disc, bottlecap, silencer, salt and ground sensitivity or change key parameters such as tones, sensitivity, reactivity, or frequency.  You can set up similar groups for Beach hunting, relic hunting, or prospecting to fit your detecting style or needs. (e.g., relic hunting in high iron or high mineraluzation vs. relic hunting in mild ground with little modern junk or iron).  The huge number of custom slots and the ease with which you can navigate between them to facilitate ease of target interrogation is an underestimated and underutilized feature of the Deus detectors.

Anyway, that's my take on why Deus/Deus II doesn't utilize a one-touch horseshoe button feature to remove all disc.  It just isn't necessary with iron volume implemented.  That's my opinion, anyway.

On 12/23/2021 at 7:45 PM, Chase Goldman said:

the horseshoe button is a necessary feature on the Equinox due to it's lack of an iron volume feature

No idea what you mean here Hugh. I always run the Nox accepting ferrous but with iron volume set low. As you say, negating need to have horseshoe button.

Tone Volume - A relatively new feature allows some detectors to set the volume of the ferrous (iron and steel) tones to be lower than the volume of non-ferrous tone responses. This can be much easier on the ears in locations full of ferrous trash where every swing of the coil produces many ferrous responses, with the non-ferrous responses being few and far between. Both the Equinox 600 and 800 can adjust the ferrous tone volume. Relic hunters in particular find being able to adjust the ferrous tone volume to be a very useful function. Again, this feature is available on both Equinox models.

The Equinox 800 goes a step farther in allowing the non-ferrous tone volumes to be adjusted. Maybe you have coins set to give a high tone, but you have a hearing loss in the high tone range. The Equinox 800 allows you to increase the volume of the high tone response in relation to the other tones, making it easier to hear. This is most useful in the five tone mode, which by default has one tone for ferrous, and four separate tones for different parts of the non-ferrous discrimination scale. Each of these four non-ferrous tones can have individual volume levels.

Equinox Full Tones Adjustment

All a long backwards way big saying I’ll not miss the lack of button in the Deus 2, as it’s set up for the way I hunt anyway.

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

No idea what you mean here Hugh. I always run the Nox accepting ferrous but with iron volume set low. As you say, negating need to have horseshoe button.

Yeah.  It was admittedly awkwardly worded.  Accepted (no disc) Iron bin volume adjustment on Nox is not the same as the iron volume feature on Deus.  I should have phrased it differently "the horseshoe button is a necessary feature on the Equinox if you want to hear ferrous due to it's lack of a Deus-like iron volume feature".  [or you can modify the disc/notch profile for the search mode of interest to accept ferrous or shift the ferrous breakpoint and adjust ferrous bin volume to suit your preference].

The point I was trying to make (and I know you know this) is that on Deus/Deus II you don't have to have a dedicated button to remove disc (accept all) simply to hear ferrous because the Deus iron volume feature enables you to keep disc engaged (reaping the benefits of doing so) while simultaneously enabling ferrous audio. 

Accepted iron bin volume adjustment on the Nox is nothing really unique nor groundbreaking.  You can do the same thing on Deus/Deus II. [Also, if desired, you can also set up Deus II to emulate the Nox one-touch horseshoe button feature behavior using the Deus/Deus II custom program slots - as I explained in a previous post].

But the closest thing Nox has to the Deus Iron Volume feature is threshold blanking on disc/notch rejected targets.  That's fine, but hearing the iron audio while using disc to prevent unwanted behavior like ferrous down-averaging of non-ferrous targets with Deus Iron Volume is arguably more powerful.