** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

this is when you know a prospector has hit a good glory hole.

image.png.ca12b11ad1f773d12d768f5da6ae4bd4.png

5 minutes ago, maxxkatt said:

this is when you know a prospector has hit a good glory hole.

image.png.ca12b11ad1f773d12d768f5da6ae4bd4.png

Indeed!!

4 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

Dear Jed:

Get the biggest rifle you can find and set it and the best shot in the camp up on the highest point that the gun still has enough wallop to blow a hole in the first attacker you could throw a cat through ,, and the rest of your crew start digging and GIT 'ER DONE !

One look at something like that would produce a scattering effect seldom ever and probably never seen in those gold fields.  

No , I didn't learn that on the touring circuit , though it might have come in handy a time or two . 

I know a very poilte "retired" Canuck special forces guy , he always said "terribly sorry" .

Great campfire stories , I have heard,,, if you think THIS one has you on the edge of your seat !   Personally , I would have of course preferred the already mentioned pirate method . Yo oh ! 

811 ozt ! Pfeeeeeeeeeeeewww  (kinda makes it hard to breath !) Good thing the hooligans  don't know that , it would certainly narrow that scatter effect. 

Gold can cause problems. 

7 minutes ago, Remfire said:

New to the group, but what a yarn.  Eagerly awaiting the next installment!

8 minutes ago, Remfire said:

New to the group, but what a yarn.  Eagerly awaiting the next installment!

Thanks for reading!

JULY 13   1936

There were two more ounces of gold in the pan. This is enough to get us excited about the new trench and gives us the energy and hope to keep working hard. This morning John was at the tom as usual while the three of us worked the dig site. About mid morning we heard three gunshots in a row. This was a pre set signal we had worked out in case of danger. The three of us dropped our picks and shovels, grabbed our rifles, and headed down to camp in the truck. When we got down there we saw John standing with rifle pointed at five armed men. One of them was the guy John punched.

I told Will and Jacob to spread way out right and left of John and I went down to where John was standing. John hollered that they were here to cause trouble. I hollered at them and said they were trespassing on our claim. The leader said they were there to get us into the co operative and he had papers for us to sign. There would be no more discussion. I told him what to do with his papers and I leveled my rifle at him. John already had his leveled. Jacob and Will did the same. 

The leader said to sign up or face the consequences. I told him what I said to the guy who was sent out on our claim yesterday. We would shoot to kill and this was his last warning to git. I also told them we had them in a cross fire as Will and Jacob had them flanked. He started talking threats and I fired a round that splintered the stock of his rifle. John fired a round into another guy's arm. I told Will and Jacob to shoot to kill if they retaliated. John hollered for them to raise their rifles and fight like men or leave now and that we were ready to fight. All five of them took off running down the mountain. I told Jacob and Will to high tail it up to the dig site and make sure nobody was up there. If there was then fire off three rounds. John and me stayed at camp a spell and kept an eye peeled. After an hour passed I went back up to dig gravels.

We only dug until supper time and got 115 buckets down to the tom. I was too worried about the co operative thugs coming back. At supper John was all fired up on whiskey and hollering about how they took off running instead of fighting like men. He said he welcomed a shoot out with them and they were cowards and would most likely turn tail again. He said we should have just killed them all. I had a talk with everyone. I told them that as far as John and me were concerned we would not hesitate to shoot to kill now. I said it would be up to them to decide if they were in or out. If they were out they needed to leave for their own safety. I don’t know if these gangsters will leave us alone or come back with more men. Will and Jacob said they’d stick. John took first watch. What I am writing  here is how it happened today for anyone who finds this journal in the event that I am killed.  

TO BE CONTINUED ...................

12 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

ALMOST as exciting as the gold counts !

The mountain has a dark history. Numerous gunfights involving mineres, loggers, ranchers, and trouble makers.