5 Hrs Of Desert Hiking, 20 Min Of Finding

I caught the stomach bug which kept me pretty close to home if you know what I mean.  After 4 days of shut-in I was ready for some detecting.  We had a bit of a break with cooler weather so I went back out to the area of the "short rich gully" to do some exploring.  I put in 5 hrs of hard walking yesterday trying to find a new patch.  I had avoided this particular zone in the past because it is littered with bowling ball sized volcanics and had some minor use by the old WWII desert warfare training folks.  A fair number of jacketed bullets and mortar shrapnel are pretty common on the flats.  After a lot of walking I dropped down into a shallow gully ready to round my loop back to the truck.  I get a solid signal where I know bedrock is no more than 15 inches down.  I hit bedrock and out pops a perfectly ugly, jagged piece of yellow.  Nice, once I get my gear back in order 5 ft away I hit another good signal.  Another flat, jagged piece of gold.  Wow, that vein can't be far from here.  I get going again and 50 ft away in a secondary flood channel I get a booming signal.  Got to be a piece of shrapnel, the depth is no good, this target is in float gravel.  4 inches down out pops a 3rd piece of jagged gold.  I am convinced I'm on the vein so I start a grid back and forth up and down both sides of the gully.  No joy, plenty of shrapnel and bullets out there.  I gave it a thorough go and no more gold to be found.  

I spent the night out there and got an early start this morning.  All morning nothing but bullets and shrapnel so towards noon I start heading back to the truck.  I'm bumping my coil along and I see a quartz outcrop ahead.  I make a detour and bang, 1.5 gram piece right in the float off the quartz vein.  I start a good search and find 10 pieces, some so small they won't register on my scale.  The Zed continues to amaze me with those tiny bits.  That quartz outcrop is a good 1/2 mile from the other big pieces from yesterday so I don't think that was the source. 

Hey Lunk, sorry to throw shade on your birthday nuggets. 

Puzzles 004.jpg

Puzzles 003.jpg

• Like 9

No worries Condor, those are some nice "corn flake" nuggets...good shooting!

WTG Condor,

That has to be fun after all the walking.  I've walked and walked with no joy at the end.

Wow, pretty gold!  

I think I see the secret of your success here.  Every time you start back to the truck you start finding gold.   To save time, I would just walk a few feet from the truck and start back and see what happens?  :wink: