Metal Health Day - Mason Jar Hill

It's been a few days since I've had a chance to get out, it's been windy and rainy here. I'm glad @strick kept y'all amused. 😁

The hill behind my house is being cleared again in order to make it more attractive to buyers, they finished clearing it last week.20220327_153919.thumb.jpg.952ab1280aaeef8cbe9e9a67471d47bc.jpg

It's hard to tell in the photo but that hill drops away about 60 feet down to the river. I have hunted the heck out of the top of this hill, but rarely have I got a chance to hunt the slope as it gets overgrown very quickly. Maybe not so much now. The slope is basically a dump and why I call this Mason Jar Hill. There are a lot of Mason Jar covers buried here, and they ID from 19-31. 🤬 You just have to dig them all.20220327_170852.thumb.jpg.fb4b1a500cee4c6acc41ab3c9126d34a.jpg

Here's half of the trash I dug today, nails, bullets, shotgun shells and just plain junk. I had already dumped my trash bag once.

Still got some pretty cool stuff, and ended with a coin in an area I have hit pretty hard in the past. I love the smell of this place, it smells like some kinda exotic spice when you dig, and there are spring flowers everywhere along with English ivy, two great indicators that a house was here, not to mention the brick and nails. 😁

20220327_143220.thumb.jpg.8ca3facc36f3e68e6cdcef352588b810.jpg20220327_185131.thumb.jpg.ec167ef2f19e4ffac451c738565218d6.jpg

Managed to get some complete flatware, the knife is much older than the spoon. It has an "H" monogram. The spoon still has quite a bit of silverplate on it, but I can't read the maker's marks. Got a hosiery clamp, an incredible stamped and clamped together filigree pendant, what I think is a clock flywheel, a small two piece button with a pattern, a two hole button with an anchor, and a 1940s wheat. Can't get a firm date.

Here are some detailed pics:20220327_184719.thumb.jpg.a7348c659cdae45778f1af9768fc072e.jpg20220327_185447.thumb.jpg.43c1592700b5a3af2e1a63e8e1bc7694.jpg

just glad it wasn't a "skunk" day, but I did dig up a hibernating toad and a small snake. 🤣 Both are doing fine. Wish I took pics of them.

Nice going... always like to see those navy buttons. The pendant looks interesting...that would clean up nicely in the rock tumbler...pretty view you got there. 

strick 

Nice hunting again in your books. Interesting items and those mason jar lids always get me on how they ring up.

Good luck on your next hunt.

Nice stuff!   Yeah those mason jar lids can be a real nuisance.  Finding those items of everyday living from yesteryear makes for some good fun.  I’m glad you didn’t hit my brother toad with your shovel!   Lol!

8 minutes ago, NCtoad said:

Nice stuff!   Yeah those mason jar lids can be a real nuisance.  Finding those items of everyday living from yesteryear makes for some good fun.  I’m glad you didn’t hit my brother toad with your shovel!   Lol!

At first I thought it was dead, totally black toad. Then it moved a bit. I looked it over, saw it was whole, and carefully buried it again in the loose loam. We're getting a couple of last freezes here so I hope I helped.

The snake was a waxy brown color, it was active so I just let it get away. I think it was an eastern worm snake.

Guess everything is starting to wake up!

2 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Guess everything is starting to wake up!

...Including poison ivy (poison oak for you out West).  I suspect you know how to recognize and deal with that (as in washing up after your hunt), but never hurts to have a reminder.  Around here the vines supposedly can still cause a problem in the off-season, but that's never happened to me.  During spring, summer (especially), and autumn -- different story.

12 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

...Including poison ivy (poison oak for you out West).  I suspect you know how to recognize and deal with that (as in washing up after your hunt), but never hurts to have a reminder.  Around here the vines supposedly can still cause a problem in the off-season, but that's never happened to me.  During spring, summer (especially), and autumn -- different story.

The steamboat landing is loaded with poison ivy, even dormant (no leaves) the stems will get ya. It's a low ground covering there, got it a month ago hunting there. 👍

I've identified the spoon, 1923 Rogers and Company "Manchester" pattern. RCCoManchester.jpg.07e8521fe0e2b57a1b0e90137f47c6e4.jpg

I was able to read R. C. Co. On the handle which led me to the pattern.

Great finds again! It looks like it's going to be a nice Spring and with so much history in your "neighborhood", I can't wait to see what you find next. Thanks for taking us along on another fun adventure!

1 hour ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Great finds again! It looks like it's going to be a nice Spring and with so much history in your "neighborhood", I can't wait to see what you find next. Thanks for taking us along on another fun adventure!

Thanks Cap'n! 🙂

I'm about to get a new detector, but I'm really comfortable with this combo of the 600 and the 10x5. It will be really interesting to hit all the sites I went to last year with a different machine and perspective, I'm ready to learn more. There's a lot of undiscovered stuff here. 😁

I'm off to the beach in a couple of weeks, that's exciting too. 7 straight days of beach hunting! 👍