51 minutes ago, NCtoad said:

Congrats on the silver!  I’m still looking for my first seated coin.  

Same!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

It sure is beat up but you still found a seated !!👍

Yes many come out of the ground that way. 

Here’s a key date SLQ I dug up in the same area years ago that was corroded but still has good detail.   

7A971A2A-F8C0-45AE-8D85-9D7105E09985.jpeg

A47E589E-34E3-482C-B4BC-7F19F57BA04E.jpeg

• Like 6

On 4/11/2022 at 10:20 AM, Denny said:

I keep this area secret don’t want a lot of hunters digging up the place.  I will tell you the area dates back to 1850’s. 

So longitude and latitude coordinates are probably out of the question.

Nice little seated, where you able to clean it up at all?

• Like 3

Wow Denny, that place is almost as rough as my brackish river. Silver coins might be somewhat preserved by a layer of black crud that forms on them, but you have to get it all off.🤬 Lottta chemical action going on there! Pennies and nickels here don't stand a chance, the IHP's come up looking like gold.

Good on you for not giving much info. 👍 Beautiful standing, that's one of the coins I haven't dug yet.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, kac said:

So longitude and latitude coordinates are probably out of the question.

Nice little seated, where you able to clean it up at all?

I cleaned it with soap and water before the pic. Couldn’t see a date or mintmark when I dug it out of the hole.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Wow Denny, that place is almost as rough as my brackish river. Silver coins might be somewhat preserved by a layer of black crud that forms on them, but you have to get it all off.🤬 Lottta chemical action going on there! Pennies and nickels here don't stand a chance, the IHP's come up looking like gold.

Good on you for not giving much info. 👍 Beautiful standing, that's one of the coins I haven't dug yet.

Nickles , wheates and IHP take a beating  at this particular spot I hunt. I wish they didn’t. 

Keep at it a SLQ will show up when you least expect it. 

• Like 1

On 4/12/2022 at 2:03 PM, Denny said:

Many of the older silver coins I’ve dug at this small grassy area here in California are pitted by chemicals over the years.

22 hours ago, Denny said:

Here’s a key date SLQ I dug up in the same area years ago that was corroded but still has good detail.

I mentioned in another thread that a find like this leaves a half-full, half-empty feeling.  It's great finding a key date.  But also you realize if the ground hadn't been so nasty to it you would have a coin worth several hundred dollars.  California is the Mother Lode of scarce and rare -S mint coins, but Mother Nature sometimes gets into a fight with her.  :sad:

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

I mentioned in another thread that a find like this leaves a half-full, half-empty feeling.  It's great finding a key date.  But also you realize if the ground hadn't been so nasty to it you would have a coin worth several hundred dollars.  California is the Mother Lode of scarce and rare -S mint coins, but Mother Nature sometimes gets into a fight with her.  :sad:

GB you are 100% correct.   
I was offered $100 for the 1923s SLQ  from the coin shop at the time, I refused. I would have taken $200 if offered.  
Every coin I dig up I always check for rarity and check  realized prices from auction houses like eBay for rare ones. 

denny

• Like 2