18khz XP Goldmaxx Power... Any Good???

Hi Jim,

This is a rare detector in the U.S. and not one I have ever heard used prospecting although I have no doubt it could be used to find gold. Truthfully it is a same half dozen or the other thing when looking at mid frequency units. Just have to shop the feature lists as the difference in actual detecting capability is minimal.

11 hours ago, JAMES MC LERNON said:

Anyone got one or used one?

How does it compare with other familiar brand detectors for prospecting? Performance, capability, tech features, ease of use, ergonomics, good, bad? 

thanks

jim

Big Jim...

There's been a few units in the Goldmaxx line-up. The current Power on the same type of Deus shaft.

Can be easily hip mounted with enough coil lead to reach. Mounted under the armrest they are in danger of cracking the box on a rock. Not much of a problem on the plowed fields of Europe.

The XP mob clearly state that one of the uses of these units is for nuggets while prospecting....so bad luck for them, they shouldn't have been so bold.

As you know any detector made can hit a gold nugget in the field, within reason.

But these detectors were primarily made in 18kHz to hunt low conductors amongst iron on European soil.

Human caused heavy iron laden ground is what the French called mineralized soil. Not the same as mineralized ground we get in gold country. In which the XP's handle very badly.

The units do not carry a true all metal mode, the mode XP call all-metal is a dicriminitive tone mode.

They carry no true threshold either.

They may have applications on mullock/tailing piles, but they hold no advantage in disc or depth over literally dozens of other VLF units.

Even in air tests (which I only ever do for Audio match up on phones/buds) they are not impressive, and the units themselves carry a harsh high tonage.

They cost an arm and a leg, and unless you find a use it will excel in, you'll be selling it for half price as I did.

Cannot comment about the GMP being used for prospecting,but until about 3-4 years ago it was the most popular used detector over here in the UK till of course the Deus took its long held crown that is,the GMP was called the 'Hammered Hoover' for its ability to suck up our silver hammered coins because mainly of the 18Khz.

But when the Deus came along not only was it so much lighter and more adaptable to our detecting needs and also it done exactly the same thing as the GMP one but also then 3 additional frequencies then the writing was on the wall that the GMP sales would plummet and that is exactly what happened.

For general coin and artifact detecting the GMP was the King,dont have any info on the gold prospecting side of the detector,the fact that hardly anyone using one for gold hunting tells me its not the best machine on the market for the job,other dedicated machines would be in my honest opinion be the best route to take.

That's right Rick they are know as the HH, they are really good in junk filled site but flaming useless on the Beach they hate wet sand, But get them on a ploughed field or an old homestead and they really shine, their Ground balance system is really weird too and how it related to one of the other controls , But I am not sure about if they can be used for prospecting or not, But in fields they don't leave much behind, Thin sectioned coins seems to be what they excel at.

john

12 hours ago, RickUK said:

Cannot comment about the GMP being used for prospecting,but until about 3-4 years ago it was the most popular used detector over here in the UK till of course the Deus took its long held crown that is,the GMP was called the 'Hammered Hoover' for its ability to suck up our silver hammered coins because mainly of the 18Khz.

But when the Deus came along not only was it so much lighter and more adaptable to our detecting needs and also it done exactly the same thing as the GMP one but also then 3 additional frequencies then the writing was on the wall that the GMP sales would plummet and that is exactly what happened.

For general coin and artifact detecting the GMP was the King,dont have any info on the gold prospecting side of the detector,the fact that hardly anyone using one for gold hunting tells me its not the best machine on the market for the job,other dedicated machines would be in my honest opinion be the best route to take.

I were always keen in trying the Goldmaxx Rick. No dealers here, so I got in contact with a friend in the UK, and sent him a couple of new XTerra's and a few coils (apparently at the time XTerra's were very expensive there) and he bought a new Goldmaxx and posted it over for me.

He was a huge fan of them, for the purpose they were made for, and attended your rally's there and said nearly all were using them. Went so far to call himself a 'GMaxx nut. Now like you and many others I guess he's a 'Deus nut. Not my words, his, and no offence meant of course.

If I were living and detecting there I'd be a Deus user too.

12 hours ago, auminesweeper said:

That's right Rick they are know as the HH, they are really good in junk filled site but flaming useless on the Beach they hate wet sand, But get them on a ploughed field or an old homestead and they really shine, their Ground balance system is really weird too and how it related to one of the other controls , But I am not sure about if they can be used for prospecting or not, But in fields they don't leave much behind, Thin sectioned coins seems to be what they excel at.

john

Yeah the ground balance system is quite queer John.

But we see that type of balance system placed on a lot of detectors now. Not a true balance system at all me thinks. The further clockwise you go the shallower a unit operates in, even though it settles the machine down to handle bad ground better there seems to be a big problem in performance.

1 minute ago, argyle said:

Yeah the ground balance system is quite queer John.

But we see that type of balance system placed on a lot of detectors now. Not a true balance system at all me thinks. The further clockwise you go the shallower a unit operates in, even though it settles the machine down to handle bad ground better there seems to be big problem in performance.

They get confusing where the Iron ID/ Disc comes in to play I had a mate who had one and he tried to explain it to me but I did not pay attention enough at the time So I don't know how it works

john