Air Testing Vs Ground Testing Coils Your Thoughts

I haven't done much air testing, only once to prove a concept with a particular detector vs. 3 others, and sometimes after the find to verify an ID.

My thought is that i can quickly learn a new detector/coil by first digging pretty much everything i come across in each place until I am confident with how the machine responds in that environment. If I can make notes so much the better, I can remember tones and IDs fairly well. After a short period of time I end up digging more good targets than trash.

Notice I mentioned both new detector and coil.

I travel a bit (mostly coastal) and know that everywhere i go there are different conditions so I really have to start out this way every time, it's a discipline for sure. There will be variations with each visit as well depending upon ground moisture content, so what worked yesterday might not be as accurate today. I can tweak out a good program over time, and prefer detectors that let me save them.

I agree that all testing is worth something but would rather get out and get real time experience.

• Like 6

A few years ago I was using both air testing and ground testing for my new machines . I have noticed that in mild / moderately mineralized soil and for a VLF detector ,  depth in soil = depth in air - 30% . This is a quite reliable formula.

For example , if you detect a coin at 40cm in the air , then you will probably detect it at 28 cm in the ground.  

But now I prefer to only do ground testing using my bed tests , see pic below. This is much more reliable than doing single air testing because this is much closer to real field conditions I think

Bed test - Testing the ML Eq 800 on a 10g coin at 11inches depth :

DSC02132.JPG

• Like 6

Ugh been busy last 2 days on chores and repairing a Sovereign.  Hate when that gets in way of detecting.  Everyone has great explanations and thoughts — the videos and picts help us all.  Helps people expand on their ideas and share.

Quick

That made me choke on my water when I read your comment.   That was the laugh I needed today.  Always like humor.

• Like 3

On 12/11/2022 at 3:08 AM, midalake said:

I keep air-testing simple! I want to know the maximum performance of a detector and that is what air-testing accomplishes. Then the goal is to see how this performance can translate to the ground/beach. 

If you take for example a pulse, an ATX or TDI or other P.I and do an air test, you’ll never know the effective power of the machine until you swing the coil above the ground...unless you want to check if the machine is on or off. This is why I think air tests are totally useless. 

• Like 2

While reading this thread I started wondering if generalizations that people are making apply both to IB(aka 'VLF') and PI types of detectors.  Then I read the first link that Steve H. posted (second post of this thread) and got the answer.  If you are curious about this topic and haven't read Steve's long post, you are missing something, maybe a lot -- as was the case for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1