Issue With Axiom And Ground Noise

Gone Bush

4 minutes ago, Gone Bush said:

That NF coil makes the 7000 soooo much better. Had one on mine and loved it.

Could not agree more! You need to try it to actually believe it. To me, this coil was a total game changer for the Z without the need to cut the cable.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, goldenoldie said:

Okay yes, I know see you had in your 4 posting in this thread.

Gave it a try, still shithouse. 👍😊

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Any more running, testing or discussion of a defective detector seems a waste of time. There are no conclusions to draw here except get it repaired or replaced. Off on the wrong foot here and that’s on Garrett.

I would conclude that as well, based on my experience just yesterday on very similar sounding ground as in the above video that I was playing around with the Ax settings and a test nugget that weighs 0.0 on the scale, which presumably means it actually weighs 0.05 of a gram or less. The ground is variable with sudden and abrupt changes, at ground balance readings from 58/29 to 62/31. With Ground Track on Slow and Speed set to Slow, I had to swing much slower than Gone Bush in the video, but the Ax was able to keep up with the changes and bang on the test nugget at sensitivity levels of 4 to 8 in Fine, Normal and Large Detect Modes with no problem. After 4 or 5 repeated swings over the test nugget, the Ax would try to track to it, making it sound less responsive and chirpy, as would be expected. With Ground Track set to Medium, I could increase my swing speed a bit, but the target response was not as pronounced, and the Ax would try to track to the nugget after only 3 or 4 swings over it. Set to Fast, Ground Track would completely track out the nugget at only 2 swings. So again based on this, I would conclude that Gone Bush's unit is defective. Hope Garrett can resolve this for you soon, GB.

1 hour ago, Lunk said:

I would conclude that as well, based on my experience just yesterday on very similar sounding ground as in the above video that I was playing around with the Ax settings and a test nugget that weighs 0.0 on the scale, which presumably means it actually weighs 0.05 of a gram or less. The ground is variable with sudden and abrupt changes, at ground balance readings from 58/29 to 62/31. With Ground Track on Slow and Speed set to Slow, I had to swing much slower than Gone Bush in the video, but the Ax was able to keep up with the changes and bang on the test nugget at sensitivity levels of 4 to 8 in Fine, Normal and Large Detect Modes with no problem. After 4 or 5 repeated swings over the test nugget, the Ax would try to track to it, making it sound less responsive and chirpy, as would be expected. With Ground Track set to Medium, I could increase my swing speed a bit, but the target response was not as pronounced, and the Ax would try to track to the nugget after only 3 or 4 swings over it. Set to Fast, Ground Track would completely track out the nugget at only 2 swings. So again based on this, I would conclude that that Gone Bush's unit is defective. Hope Garrett can resolve this for you soon, GB.

Thanks for taking the time to provide this response Lunk.

Your comments are definitely not what I am experiencing so looks like a dud.

8 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Any more running, testing or discussion of a defective detector seems a waste of time. There are no conclusions to draw here except get it repaired or replaced. Off on the wrong foot here and that’s on Garrett.

Didn’t want to believe it but appears you are correct and it’s a dud.
After getting back to camp I played about some more and have also concluded same.

”No good deed goes unpunished “.
Lent the 6000 to Bo to see if he likes it enough to get one.
He and family are down in Widgiemooltha on holidays until the ninth January.
Back on same day Garrett Australia reopens.
Have spare machines in Cue but that’s 9 hours drive each way.
Local Minelab dealer closed until 18th so can’t just go and buy another 6000 even if I wanted to.

So aren’t I the lucky one.
Get to spend the next two weeks of Christmas holidays with best detecting buddy Fiona (she travelled from Perth to spend holidays together prospecting) and a faulty detector or two days driving and $900 in fuel to get something that works.
Thanks Garrett, nicely done. 
At least the first 6000 lasted three months before the first coil crapped out.
FOR ME IT Looks like reliability is off the table as a reason to change to Axiom.
At least it compares to 6000 in the quality stakes 🤣🤣 THESE ARE SMILY FACES AND INDICATE A JOKE THAT IS MORE ACCURATELY A DIG AT MINELAB THAN GARRETT

Prospectors Patch (Jamie) might be open Tuesday here in Kalgoorlie but I doubt he will have another unit to replace this one with or would want to do so without Garrett Australia first giving him the ok.
Prospectors Patch other store in Midvale (Perth, 6 hours each way) run by Jamie’s son looks like it will be open Wednesday but again may not physically have a replacement and again, without communication from Garrett may be unlikely to want to replace the defective unit.
These are the only Garrett dealers in WA and only option for trying to save the next two weeks detecting time without the aforementioned two day trek for a working 6000.
Waiting for Garrett to reopen on the ninth is not something I would be happy to do.
And there’s no way in hell I would stand for having to send it for repair.
Maybe it’s just me but I don’t spend this kind of money to have a repaired unit.
Repaired detector’s are what you buy for half off at the end of model factory clearance.
If I can’t get it replaced and have to make the journey to Cue, Axiom will be sold and replaced with another 6000.

What an awesome Christmas this turned out to be.
Wont bother with any further posts at this stage. Just making me angrier. Should have known better really.

Its 3.30am here on what is now officially Christmas Day so best wishes to all for Christmas and may you all have a safe holiday season.

I am really sorry to hear. Good quality is hard to come by these days. Same wishes to you.