Went 2 The Barbers At The Old Farm

So the silver spigot has been cracked open a bit more??  😁

The large cent isn't 1808 since they changed the design starting that year and head faces left.  The other two dates are relatively common for the times, but still only 2 or 3 million minted.  The one I found is 1803.  (Addendum:  See correction on page 3 of this thread.)

You're typically very careful with your coin finds and probably know this, but the 100% copper coins that have been in the ground so long are super delelicate.  Even light cleaning (e.g. ultra soft toothbrush) can wipe off the details.  I've found this out the hard way.  :sad:

I guess this is prime detecting season for these fields.  When do they plant, April?

10 hours ago, Lost Scout said:

Wow! Someday I will gather the courage to to go to an an old populated area and search. I just don't like people much. But the idea of finding history may override my phobia. Great finds. Keep it going.!

Welcome to the solo diggers club brother.

• Like 2

Your finds are very nice but the local countryside is what is so impressive. Very special place. Even nicer that you have a solid friend to share in the adventure.   Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

So the silver spigot has been cracked open a bit more??  😁

The large cent isn't 1808 since they changed the design starting that year and head faces left.  The other two dates are relatively common for the times, but still only 2 or 3 million minted.  The one I found is 1803.

You're typically very careful with your coin finds and probably know this, but the 100% copper coins that have been in the ground so long are super delelicate.  Even light cleaning (e.g. ultra soft toothbrush) can wipe off the details.  I've found this out the hard way.  :sad:

I guess this is prime detecting season for these fields.  When do they plant, April?

Thanks GB. 🙂 Your informed comments are greatly appreciated. One of the first coins I ever dug was an 1805 virtually right outside my front door. Equally toasted but the date was clear.

It's odd considering silver is the easiest metal to find, as I wrote somewhere I think I'm getting better at finding it, but maybe it seems to be finding me more lately. 🤣 I have to mention though if Chase hadn't invited me to look in that area (we each try to stay out of the others' way) I would definitely be commenting on his post now. He's a real pro. 🏆

Ok, I'll admit it too, I have also learned the hard way that over-cleaning coins will obliterate what details they may have, so now I just put them in a sifting pan, spray them off with water, and blot them with a soft cloth. Should I spot a coin that has a particularly scarce mintage, I'll most likely do nothing now. Silvers get "The Foo" and that's it.20230129_104341.thumb.jpg.c2768c5564ae648be73a718770db4a8a.jpg

The farmer who offered me another very interesting field to search that his family owns said that he will be planting this farm and his own in April, so I'm thrilled that this La Niña winter continues. 🙂 Late April I'm off to the beach! 😀

• Like 2

Sharp looking quarter dollar 350...Enjoy it!

15 minutes ago, JCR said:

Your finds are very nice but the local countryside is what is so impressive. Very special place. Even nicer that you have a solid friend to share in the adventure.   Thanks for posting.

Darn JCR, I'm out of likes today, but thanks. 🙂 I'm smack in the middle of one of the older colonial grants, and for various reasons it has not been developed due to preservation, reverence for the particularly arable land, laws and trusts restricting development, and just plain old families that have been here since the 1600s. This is old America at it's absolute best. It's a privilege I stumbled upon quite by fate.

I don't mind sharing it with a friend who offers mentoring, and the same respect for what is here as I have. I like solo digging but nothing beats companionship. 🙂

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Doc Bach said:

Sharp looking quarter dollar 350...Enjoy it!

Thanks Doc, I've been whacked in the head by detecting friends who say the draped bust half cent is my find of the year so far, but I think it was the 1694 Scottish Twopence. 😀 Way too early for me to get jaded about silver 🤣

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Thanks Doc, I've been whacked in the head by detecting friends who say the draped bust half cent is my find of the year so far, but I think it was the 1694 Scottish Twopence. 😀 Way too early for me to get jaded about silver 🤣

All fantastic finds/saves and great History to be sure. Helps a lot to keep guys like myself motivated.

Dang, F350... I have no words! See this is why we need a "WOW" emoji instead of just "Like", "Oh My", etc. Some posts just need the WOW!!! So in lieu of that, 😲 😵 😮 😱 😎!!!

Man, you have been touched by the gods and good on you for your hard work cultivating your research, skills, and permissions. It's a great testement to you as a detectorist and a person. You have levelled up big time, amigo! Congrats on the awesome finds!!!

You inspire me to go out and pry another toasted wheat penny from the frozen earth! 🤣

Thanks Cap'n, I always hope my posts show that stuff is still out there and motivate people to get permissions and dig. I sometimes envy y'all that have parks and beaches aplenty, nothing like that here. Asking to hunt public lands might do more harm than good. 😵 You never know if someone will follow you up and trash the place!

Going to say again I owe Chase credit for motioning me over, all I was getting were toasted wheats. 🤣 I don't mind 'em, a coin is a coin, but that was ironic, I had just come back from getting permission to more land. It was weird because it took a bit for me to realize that the guy was telling me he wanted us to hunt the place, mentioned an old school and some kind of "Yankee camp". Chase and I both agreed it might be a stretch, because there was no civil war activity here, buuuuut, there were minor skirmishes in 1812, and I did find a very interesting LiDar feature on the property. 🤔

I feel for y'all that are not getting this La Niña weather, we're looking at 60s next week too. Heck it's 68 out right now, I'm breaking out the pork chops to do some grilling 😁

• Like 3