Went 2 The Barbers At The Old Farm

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

I might be able to dust it out a bit with some fine steel wool.

Oooooh.  That sounds too strong for these.  The details can just flake off and leave nothing.  Don't you have those wooden pencil-like tools that you can carefully probe around with?  For some reason those 100% early copper coins are super fragile, at least from what I've seen.  @kac finds quite a few early coppers so maybe he has some suggestions.

• Like 1

Just now, GB_Amateur said:

Oooooh.  That sounds too strong for these.  The details can just flake off and leave nothing.  Don't you have those wooden pencil-like tools that you can carefully probe around with?  For some reason those 100% early copper coins are super fragile, at least from what I've seen.  @kac finds quite a few early coppers so maybe he has some suggestions.

No problem, yes, I have Andre pencils, and some new ones that look cool but I haven't used them yet. 😀 I will definitely ask him! 👍

• Like 1

25 years ago I had what was considered a top of the line detector, the Garrett Grand Master Hunter CX II. I still have it & have compared it to what is considered today's best. There is no comparison, especially around any iron.

The old hunters got the easy stuff. That is not everything or even maybe the best.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

No problem, yes, I have Andre pencils, and some new ones that look cool but I haven't used them yet. 😀 I will definitely ask him! 👍

Always clean your coppers dry. Use those pencils around the first digits of the date, since you know what those numbers are. Light pressure and in a very minute circular motion. Don't rush it. Just blow off the dirt you've loosen up, as you go. Do other parts of the coin if you are not quite up to doing the last digit. Just my 2cents worth.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Always clean your coppers dry. Use those pencils around the first digits of the date, since you know what those numbers are. Light pressure and in a very minute circular motion. Don't rush it. Just blow off the dirt you've loosen up, as you go. Do other parts of the coin if you are not quite up to doing the last digit. Just my 2cents worth.

Thanks, I'm out of likes today, a barrage of comments! 😀 👍

I'm up to my 1 cent worth, putting another post together... 😎

I been using piece of bamboo instead of toothpicks. Hold up bit better. I happen to have scraps from my rod building days but pieces of chopsticks would do the trick too. Just pick at them to get some the crud off.

Most the old coppers here are just blown out from the ground, some have some detail. Just don't pick at them too hard. Really rare stuff like the old colonial a buddy found you just don't do anything to. Best to leave them as is.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, kac said:

Really rare stuff like the old colonial a buddy found you just don't do anything to. Best to leave them as is.

I'm happy to say that because of the clues given by GB and Schoolofhardnox, I looked again with a loupe, and it has the stupid "00" 8 that goes close to the bust. Ain't gonna touch it. 😁

I'm also out of likes, thanks y'all!

• Like 2