Parks Are A Different Beast Than Beaches

10 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Here is a photo of some of the gold targets that I have found in the last 2 years placed below their Legend target IDs along with the regularly occurring types of aluminum and steel trash.

Is there an approximate correspondence/mapping between the Legend's ID scale and the (old)Nox/Vanquish one?  Would the grouping of objects be similar?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I slow down in busy ground so I can hear each target instead of a continuous din.

19 minutes ago, mcjtom said:

Is there an approximate correspondence/mapping between the Legend's ID scale and the (old)Nox/Vanquish one?  Would the grouping of objects be similar?

There are an extra 10 target IDs between the beginning of the non-ferrous range (target ID 11) and the beginning of the copper/silver range of target IDs (target ID 40). So 30 target IDs from tiny foil to copper/silver. The Equinox and Vanquish have 20 IDs for the same range of targets. The iron range has 10 IDs like the Equinox and Vanquish. The copper silver range has 20 target IDs  that are similar to the Equinox and Vanquish also.

On 2/16/2023 at 9:56 AM, Jeff McClendon said:

There are an extra 10 target IDs between the beginning of the non-ferrous range (target ID 11) and the beginning of the copper/silver range of target IDs (target ID 40). So 30 target IDs from tiny foil to copper/silver. The Equinox and Vanquish have 20 IDs for the same range of targets. The iron range has 10 IDs like the Equinox and Vanquish. The copper silver range has 20 target IDs  that are similar to the Equinox and Vanquish also.

Would this more or less describe it?

Screenshot_20230217-1220522.thumb.png.99da3d730578a1d212803128a25fe3ec.png

The Legend, Equinox 600/700/800/900, Vanquish 540 and Deus 2 where I detect most ofter in moderately to heavily trashed parks with modern aluminum and steel trash, lots of partial masking and with moderate to high iron mineralization, have very accurate target IDs on coin sized targets down to near the edge of detection.

For Park hunting, the Legend and Equinox models have very exact, dependable and easy to adjust single digit notching. The Vanquish 540 has easy to adjust 2 digit notching. There are no limits on how many notches a person wants to set besides the limit built into the number of target IDs available.

Deus 2 has the capability to set single digit or multi digit notching. Notching is limited to setting only three however and setting them is not nearly as easy as setting/removing them on the Legend, Equinox or Vanquish 540.

I hunt the same parks often. Using the Equinox 800, I often would get frustrated by the jumble of target IDs shown in the photo. I also got target ID 12, 13, 14, 15 fatigue and would get sloppy or just say to myself "I'll hit that spot again later and just dig the 14s or the 15s and notch out the rest......" Nice strategy but life happens and hitting that spot again later may not be realistic just like digging every target in a public park or private lawn is not realistic either. Vanquish 540.....same problem made worse by 2 digit notching. The Legend target ID system spread out those targets more with much less target overlap. So has Deus 2 and the Equinox 700/900.

The Equinox 700/900, Legend and Deus 2 have limits as far as target ID accuracy that are dependent on mineralization, depth, masking and target orientation. At least where I detect, the target ID accuracy and audio responses of these SMF detectors are so good compared to single frequency detectors, that I basically know what I am about to dig if the target is a US coin, a crown bottle cap, an aluminum screw cap, square pull tab, oval pull tab or beaver tail, etc even down to 8" deep or so. Differentiating between wadded foil, can slaw, damaged pull tabs, full pull tabs and gold jewelry is not as foolproof since there is target ID overlap. However, one trick I have learned with all of these newer SMF detectors is to definitely dig any target in the "gold range" that responds with solid, well defined, coin sized audio responses and only one target ID.

DSCN0132.jpeg
ML (-9 to 40) IDs

IMG_3224.jpg
Legend (1 to 60) IDs

On Jeff's ID charts, several objects seem to be the same.  It seems to me, looking at the pull tabs, crown cap, and some rings I can recognize, that several of them that are clustered in 12 to 14 in ML IDs, are spread over the range of some 20 to 31 on the Legend ID scale?  My little naive piece-wise linear graph mapping Legend IDs to Vanquish IDs (based on Jeff's testimony 🙂 is probably way off the mark - Nokta may have better separation abilities than it suggests.

I used the exact same commonly occurring trash targets and the same gold targets for those two photos.

The good news for the Equinox models and the Legend is that nice clump of smaller gold items that have no regularly occurring trash targets mixed in with them on the top row of both photos. Sure, wadded up foil and small can slaw can share those same target IDs but that stuff is usually not nearly as invasive as all of the varieties of pull tabs and steel crown bottle caps. 

The second good news at least for USA Legend users is that the only common trash targets that happen really close to US nickels and many medium sized gold rings with similar 22 to 27 IDs are the older small "square" tabs, the beaver tail off of ring pull tabs and the freshness seals from the same cans that oval pull tabs come from. That is way better than the mash-up of targets in the 11 to 16 range using the Equinox 600/800.

So, some good strategies can be employed by Legend users to really concentrate on small and medium sized gold jewelry and rings that have target IDs below 28 where the most common US pull tabs start to be detected if those oval pull tabs aren't damaged.

16 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

So, some good strategies can be employed by Legend users to really concentrate on small and medium sized gold jewelry and rings that have target IDs below 28 where the most common US pull tabs start to be detected if those oval pull tabs are damaged.

Concentrating on small to mid gold is exactly what I'll be trying to do come spring. I basically want to avoid most of the higher conductor coin signals, and possibly even the squarish pull tab range. I'm thinking of digging only 11-39, or perhaps only digging 11-around 27. 

I'm curious if the new batch of ML detectors has simply doubled the ID scale resolution or has molded it in a different way, stretching things in some places and compressing them in others?

Here's a link to a book I co-authored 26 years ago that might shed some light on the gold ring target ID's. It's not a great book by today's standards, but it was all that was available at the time. Pay special attention to the final results tables as they might be helpful...

http://www.70falcon.com/Books/RingBook2015.pdf

You might right click and open in a new tab. There will be a message saying it might be a potential security risk, but I can tell you it's not. It's safe to open it. The .pdf was created back in 2015 so that might be why the message comes up. I just opened it with no problem...