A "holy Grail" In Jewelry Hunting Has Been Achieved!

1 hour ago, Digalicious said:

If someone could give me an example of how TT can distinguish between gold jewelry and aluminum, I would buy a Manticore today. So yes. If someone could show that, it would be of help to me, and probably help to all hunters who are thinking about buying a Manticore.

1 hour ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Andy and Strick already did.

Abenson is Andy. Correct?

If so, neither Andy or Strick "already did".

Andy and Strick spoke of irregular targets and traces. However, just because TT shows a single dot, an oval, or an elongated oval on the nonferrous axis, does not mean that the target is specifically gold jewelry, a pull tab, foil, or an aluminum cap. It could be either one of those due to numerous variables. BUT, even if it did mean that, it's nothing TID can't do. For example, if a target alternates between 30 and 31 on the TID, then TT shows an oval. In other words both TT and TID are identifying the target identically, but TT shows dots whereas TID shows numbers.

Like Erik suggested, I’m out hunting for coins and jewelry instead of theorizing, arguing and endlessly repeating the same things about it. Nice weather here in Denver finally. I hope I find both and get a bit of a sun (probably sunburn) too. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Like Erik suggested, I’m out hunting for coins and jewelry instead of theorizing, arguing and endlessly repeating the same things about it. Nice weather here in Denver finally. I hope I find both and get a bit of a sun (probably sunburn) too. 

This is a metal detector forum where things about metal detectors and hunting are discussed. No one is forcing you to read, let alone participate in this discussion.

If the weather holds up here, I'll be hunting tonight. 

Good luck on your hunt today 🙂

I like the 2D target trace a lot and to me that's all that matters, just like the CTX version I find it very useful.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I like the 2D target trace a lot and to me that's all that matters, just like the CTX version I find it very useful.

Hi Phrunt.

Do you hunt for gold jewelry in sites that are infested with aluminum bottle caps, pull tabs, small slaw, and foil? If so, do you find that TT helps with that? Why or why not?

4 hours ago, Digalicious said:

do you find that TT helps with that? Why or why not?

Target trace works great until you get a fringe target that will not TID.
Then, one better switch your brain to tones because the target trace may talk you out of something!  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/17/2023 at 5:30 AM, Digalicious said:

Invenio Pro - Nokta Detectors

Invenio Metal Table

The third image shows a coin about the diameter of a quarter. Is that enough resolution to distinguish between gold jewelry and aluminum trash? Or all trash for that matter?

This is their second or maybe even third generation GPR like imaging machine, and while the price is becoming within reach (not much more than some high end PI detectors), it's just not there yet for me.  I would love to see what the Invenio Pro's screen looks like at a trashy park 🤠  Or better yet some of the stage stops or ghost town type sites we enjoy visiting.   Given the price differentiation between the Invenio Pro and their last model, I suspect the next generation model (if there is one, and I hope there is) will drop the price into a more affordable zone, maybe the price of a 3030, and it'll be better at imaging as well as a more condensed package (maybe the collector will be built into the detector by then?).

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Cal_Cobra said:

This is their second or maybe even third generation GPR like imaging machine, and while the price is becoming within reach (not much more than some high end PI detectors), it's just not there yet for me.  I would love to see what the Invenio Pro's screen looks like at a trashy park 🤠  Or better yet some of the stage stops or ghost town type sites we enjoy visiting.   Given the price differentiation between the Invenio Pro and their last model, I suspect the next generation model (if there is one, and I hope there is) will drop the price into a more affordable zone, maybe the price of a 3030, and it'll be better at imaging as well as a more condensed package (maybe the collector will be built into the detector by then?).

I know a guy that bought an Invenio Pro, the detector its based off is very lacking and the technology is not even remotely valid for the price they're asking.

no-ragrets.gif.8c6d840b141ad741be408e80938f703a.gif

In saying that, I applaud them for coming out with something different, albeit very over priced.  I don't think they should stop development, but perhaps not release another model until it's ready or dramatically lower the price.  Hopefully the imaging turns into something we all want to use someday and becomes a standard feature on detectors.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I know a guy that bought an Invenio Pro, the detector its based off is very lacking and the technology is not even remotely valid for the price they're asking.

no-ragrets.gif.8c6d840b141ad741be408e80938f703a.gif

In saying that, I applaud them for coming out with something different, albeit very over priced.  I don't think they should stop development, but perhaps not release another model until it's ready or dramatically lower the price.  Hopefully the imaging turns into something we all want to use someday and becomes a standard feature on detectors.

I agree.  For me it's more of a curiosity with potential w/further development.  I like that they took the initiative to try something innovative.

• Like 1

About 2 years ago, I got back into detecting after about a 30 year absence. Back in the day, my go to detectors were the Fisher 1266X and the Tesoro Silver uMax. Upon returning to the hobby, my first detector was a Vanquish 540. Taking the 540 into my backyard to depth test with a silver dime, gave me a rude awakening. That rude awakening was the noise with SMF / EMI, and the new detectors didn't provide much more depth than the 1266X and the uMax in my mild ground. I then quickly realized that depth performance hit a wall a very long time ago. 

In an ongoing discussion about A.I. in metal detecting on another forum, a member posted:

Someone, on a similar thread, pointed out the great advances in detecting, in the mere 50 to 60-ish recent years . We have gone from BFO , To TR all-metal , To TR disc. , To VLF/GEB disc, To TID , To deeper multifrequency Thus we've gone from 3" deep on a coin (with no disc.) to 12" deep on coins, (with disc) during that time.

So here's the deal : There was a ~30 yr. period, between about 1965 -ish to 1995-ish, that : If you had a machine that was a mere 5 or 10 yrs. old, then : YOU HAD A DINOSAUR ! Your buddies would kick your @ss ! But notice that in the last 30 yrs., that's no longer the case. Today you can pick a 10 or 20 yr. old machine that can do exactly the same !!

What I'm getting at, is that we are long overdue for a game changer in this hobby. IMO, the last game changer was SMF, but that advancement mainly applies to highly mineralized ground.

With the Invenio, if Nokta can get the price down, and improve on the ergonomics, speed, and resolution, then the Invenio would be a game changer far more profound than anything previous.