Over 50 Years Of Metal Detecting & Gold Prospecting

Thanks for the map Steve.  Looks like Edgewood is private.  

22 minutes ago, phrunt said:

taking gloves off can be a risky process with rings hooked on them and people do it on lifts to play with their phones

Something about cold weather and shrinkage.  LOL

Nah, Nah not retirement, reFirement 😉 A most positive rewarding stage of life to fire you into new projects, PC games, toys, etc. etc. whatever the heart desires, just the body running a wee slower. 

Steve, I’ve really enjoyed this forum and all you and other members add to it. I only recently joined the forum and only took up metal detecting about 5 years ago. I’d sure like to learn how to properly understand the Gold detecting aspects of my 800 so that I could maybe find a nugget. 
Thanks Steve for all you do and all you’ve done for the hobby.

28 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Steve, I’ve really enjoyed this forum and all you and other members add to it. I only recently joined the forum and only took up metal detecting about 5 years ago. I’d sure like to learn how to properly understand the Gold detecting aspects of my 800 so that I could maybe find a nugget. 
Thanks Steve for all you do and all you’ve done for the hobby.

My thanks to you and everyone else for the kind words. 🙂

My Tips On Nugget Detecting With The Minelab Equinox

Steve, you've been my shadow, my mentor, my friend for 25 years and mostly because of metal detecting. 

SHADOW - I say shadow, as our detecting careers started right about the same time. I say shadow because I feel you are one of the few who says it like it is and won't let a manufacture dictate your words.  I say shadow because your ability to adapt to different detecting conditions and still earn success.  I say Shadow, as I feel we both enjoy helping folks with their detectors. I say shadow because your capabilities detecting for a variety of treasures is tops (Coins, Gold Nuggets in different regions, Recovery of gold rings).  

MENTOR - Very few in this industry impress me with their detector capabilities but you are one of those few.  Mentor, as I read, watch, listened, chatted on the phone and in person...with you a number of times to learn about detecting gold in other areas besides the desert and traditional gold areas.  Your knowledge sharing helped me at one of my favorite styles of gold hunting, the Tailing Piles.  Mentor, because your desire to spread detector knowledge is TOPS in this industry.

FRIEND - You always had my back and support, likewise.  We've hunted trophy gold at Ganes together, chased big Au at More Creek together, hunted NV a few times and all the stories, camaraderie, knowledge shared back and forth has benefited us both.  Friends, because even when you pissed me off, it was probably for the right reason.  Friends, because my door is always open to you and you always call back if I leave a message.

Buddy, My mindset, the body and my desires are slowly changing as well.  I imagined those so called "golden years" would be fun filled swinging a detector all day and worrying about the next hunt.  Oh boy what a crock of sheet I was thinking.  Lifes lessons we learn as we go and grow.  I totally understand your mindset and reality.  It's coming to me as well.

One thing is for sure Steve.  Buddy you lived the life so many dream about and the way you did it.. is amazing.  We appreciate all you gave/give as I know the time you did all that was time away from those family around you.  Nothing to be ashamed about, we all have our issues.  Looking forward to our next visit and probably just sitting around telling stories.  Hats off to you and a detecting career only a few could pull off.

On 7/18/2023 at 7:58 PM, flakmagnet said:
On 7/18/2023 at 6:34 PM, Tony said:

.and keep doing the things that make you happy. Damn you’re not that old

Yeah…I was gonna say…

Age is dead last when it comes to explaining my flagging desire to go detecting. Anyone who has been detecting 20 years or more is singing the same song. The hobby is a victim of its success. All the TV shows and YouTube channels. This forum! Add it all up and way too many people detecting what is ultimately a limited resource. Parks where you used to fill a pocket with silver now take a day of detecting to maybe find a silver coin. Beaches that used to be full of finds are now hit by people daily and targets are getting very thin. Gold patches have been hit hard by GPZ 7000s for over a decade now and not much more than crumbs left behind. Even the relic hunters are slowly depleting areas of targets. It seems incredible but it’s true - we are sucking the good stuff out of the ground, and the easy pickings are largely gone.

Yes, there will always be finds to be made, a yard nobody detected, a park in an out of the way town, an old overlooked campsite, a private mining claim. But I’m telling you folks, and it’s not just me - the glory days of metal detecting are in the rear view mirror. For those that missed it and think I’m exaggerating, well, you needed to be there. I’m very glad I was!! :smile: