Overview And Initial Review Of The Accupoint Pinpointer

2 hours ago, MFF18B said:

In order to use the Accupoint paired with the Legend headphones, you must upgrade your Legend software to version 1.12 for Accupoint (Test version?). 

Thank you very much for a clear, concise, and thorough review. A+ 🙂

Regarding your above quote:

In a recent video, Dilek had said that some users were reporting a long a pairing time, but Dilek also mentioned it only occurs on the initial pairing when the Accupoint is first used. Dilek also mentioned that it only occurred on their first batch they shipped, because they updated the software on the rest of the Accupoints before shipping those out. Apparently, the updated version significantly reduces that initial pairing time.

I don't recall Dilek mentioning that Legend owners have to upgrade to v1.12 for the Accupoint to work, but I might have missed something. As far as I know, v1.12 is supposed to mainly be about the new "boost mode" that their head engineer was working on.

Great write-up, @MFF18B -- I'll definitely be picking one of these up once they hit the market!

A very good review & summary.

I will get one at some point in the near future. The Disc capability will be useful. Paired to the Legend would be nice.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Digalicious said:

Thank you very much for a clear, concise, and thorough review. A+ 🙂

Regarding your above quote:

In a recent video, Dilek had said that some users were reporting a long a pairing time, but Dilek also mentioned it only occurs on the initial pairing when the Accupoint is first used. Dilek also mentioned that it only occurred on their first batch they shipped, because they updated the software on the rest of the Accupoints before shipping those out. Apparently, the updated version significantly reduces that initial pairing time.

I don't recall Dilek mentioning that Legend owners have to upgrade to v1.12 for the Accupoint to work, but I might have missed something. As far as I know, v1.12 is supposed to mainly be about the new "boost mode" that their head engineer was working on.

Dig,

I had the updated version and I still had about a minute wait time until mine paired the very first time.  I thought it wasn't working properly until I saw that it might take a bit.  Once it was paired the first time, then it connected immediately as soon as I turned on the PP to locate a target.  They wanted us to upgrade our Legend software, but since the Accupoint doesn't pair with the Legend,  I don't think it really did anything other than maybe prepare us for possible future upgrades.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The replaceable tip with the little digging tool on the end are nice touches.

I hunt in some ground that is quite muddy, so the screen would become unreadable real quick. When need be, I could give it a wipe, but wonder if repeatedly doing that would scratch up the screen. Hopefully Nokta used a very scratch resistant screen. Although, the first thing I would do is put a screen protector on it, and replace it as necessary. I'm also glad the speaker isn't on the side, because in my sloppy sites, a side speaker gets totally clogged up and useless. Well anyway, it's great to be able to see the sensitivity, charge level, etc, and not have to deal with button sequences and the like.

MFF,

What's the word on that "Audio Booster"?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Digalicious said:

I hunt in some ground that is quite muddy, so the screen would become unreadable real quick. When need be, I could give it a wipe, but wonder if repeatedly doing that would scratch up the screen. Hopefully Nokta used a very scratch resistant screen. Although, the first thing I would do is put a screen protector on it, and replace it as necessary. I'm also glad the speaker isn't on the side, because in my sloppy sites, a side speaker gets totally clogged up and useless. Well anyway, it's great to be able to see the sensitivity, charge level, etc, and not have to deal with button sequences and the like.

MFF,

Dig,

If you look at the picture, the speaker is recessed about 1/2 inch lower than the charging port, in a small tunnel like area.  The audio booster has a small tube like portion on the back that fits into the speaker tunnel.  I believe that this directs the audio up this tube to the audio output in the end cap.  I don't think it actually boosts the audio, just directs it.  Screenshot2023-10-12at7_35_23PM.thumb.png.58cbef7453d941a1cf30a7fde18de8c4.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 10/13/2023 at 2:45 PM, Digalicious said:

MFF,

If you look carefully at the close-up photo of the LCD color screen above, you will see the outline of a screen protector that’s already attached from the factory… I didn’t have any issues with my screen scratching during the Beta testing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great review, MFF18B. Thank you!

Guess I'll check this one out when it's available, I've always wanted to give Nokta a nod, and haven't seen much of interest lately, the new ML pinpointer doesn't seem all that great.

I have the Fisher and both the old and new Quest pinpointers, and for me the MI-6 is by far the one I go to. I've done a lot of real time and air tests with all of them.

The Quest pointers are good, but I find even the improved one is full of bugs:

It doesn't always turn off with the "Magic" function

The buttons are still hard to find

The menus are difficult to remember at best.

That listed, it does a fair job of discriminating and is a lot less prone to falsing but it almost feels like its detection range and sensitivity were lowered. I use the Quest in deep holes to stop digging if the target is iron 😏 

A lot of y'all rave about the Fisher, but I just don't see it. It's too quiet and for sure in air tests it gets hammered by most of the other pointers, maybe it's better in the ground but I've "seen" much deeper with the MI-6, could be because headphones. 😀 I've taken it with me a few times and it doesn't "gel" with me. Again the button isn't easy to find, that annoys me, albeit similar to the MI-6.

By far the best button is on the Carrot, but the Nokta has promise because it's above the LCD screen, find that and pull your thumb back. Just an observation. 🙂

Looking forward to this one!

• Like 2