Overview And Initial Review Of The Accupoint Pinpointer

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Digalicious said:

Did you install v1.13? It's specifically meant for the Accupoint.

Yep, have installed 1.13 so I’ll give Tom’s method a try...... it probably is just a sequencing thing.

What about the audio quality through the headphones though? Everyone happy with theirs....

4 hours ago, Bootscrape said:

Yep, have installed 1.13 so I’ll give Tom’s method a try...... it probably is just a sequencing thing.

What about the audio quality through the headphones though? Everyone happy with theirs....

I've only been out once but the sound seemed fine. I'll be going again soon.

Bootscrape,

Yes, the best way that I have found through the beta test is to use the method that Tom described to you.  Whenever I go out to hunt I follow this sequence:

1.  Turn on headphones

2. Turn on Accupoint.  I hold the Accupoint near my watch so it will alert through headphones as soon as its paired.  Once its paired, turn off the Accupoint.

3.  Turn on the Legend.  It will pair with the headphones at that point. 

Hope this helps. 

Got the AccuPOINT in yesterday. Here are a few notes from fiddling around with it at home and using it for an 1 hour hunt at a local park:

• Pretty easy to figure out overall.
  • Had to pry the little sound amplifier piece out after unscrewing the top to get at the charging port.
  • Really, really like the screen display. I can tell at a glance where I'm at in settings (sensitivity, bluetooth, ferrous settings, etc.).
  • Loud setting is LOUD. I have decent hearing, and the "not loud" alterative setting still has plenty of volume for me.
  • The ferrous/non-ferrous tone settings is a great feature.
  • Turn on/off timing feels just a tiny bit different from the Garrett Carrot, but it's a matter of simply adapting muscle memory to adjust.
  • Sensitivity and response feels approximately the same as the ol' Carrott.

The only oddness I experienced with the Accupoint was when I got over an obvious, shallow coin spill. There was like $1.30 overall in modern clad, 2-3" deep over an area maybe 6" in diameter. The Legend was giving loud, jumpy reading runnning from 40-53. When I flipped over a shallow cut, I could clearly see the coins. Used the pinpointer, regardless, just to see how it behaved in this multi-target scenario. Once it registered with multiple close targets, however, it started freaking out and gave a continuous repeating signal, even if I waved it in the air several feet away. A quick on/off resolved the issue.

Overall, easy to use and did not feel like much of a learning curve. The screen and the setting navigation have me favoring it over the Carrot, but we'll see what happens with more time and experience. 

Well, after another session (at the beach this time), I have come to the conclusion that my Accupoint is faulty. Initially it was performing ok after pairing it up with the method mentioned above, but after half an hour of use it started to act up, ie, it would sound off with continuous falsing in the wet sand and would continue once held in the air. The audio through the headphones was distorted. To make matters even weirder I got the “disconnect “ prompt and looked at the screen on my Legend and noticed that it had shut down..???? What the hell’s going on?

Rebooted everything and started again.... no probs for awhile and started searching again. After another couple of on off cycles with the pinpointer the same thing happened. 

I can only think that the Bluetooth in the Accupoint is causing these issues as my Legend has been flawless and has never shut down spontaneously before.... and yes my battery had full charge at the time.

I’ll be returning it to my distributor (Nenad).

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2023 at 11:45 AM, Digalicious said:

The replaceable tip with the little digging tool on the end are nice touches.

I hunt in some ground that is quite muddy, so the screen would become unreadable real quick. When need be, I could give it a wipe, but wonder if repeatedly doing that would scratch up the screen. Hopefully Nokta used a very scratch resistant screen. Although, the first thing I would do is put a screen protector on it, and replace it as necessary. I'm also glad the speaker isn't on the side, because in my sloppy sites, a side speaker gets totally clogged up and useless. Well anyway, it's great to be able to see the sensitivity, charge level, etc, and not have to deal with button sequences and the like.

MFF,

What's the word on that "Audio Booster"?

It looked like it a some sort of protective strip on it.  I went ahead and put a piece of transparent tape over the screen just to be safe.

On 10/16/2023 at 8:24 AM, glacialgold said:

Yeah, that was my first concern, as well. It's an excellent feature -- being able to see the pinpointer's actual status, settings, charge, etc. -- but doesn't mean much if the screen can't hold up to substantial abuse. I'll be curious to see how these hold up over time in real world conditions.

As for the screen protector idea, I wonder how long a screen protector would hold up under typical pinpointer conditions?

I put a piece of transparent tape on mine.  Easy to change!

On 11/10/2023 at 2:28 PM, F350Platinum said:

Got mine today, same deal as another got. No box but everything included.20231110_155654.thumb.jpg.88775a15b6f15c2fc184302d287f0343.jpg

I'll do some air testing and in ground testing against the Carrot, the F-Pulse, the MI-6 and the Quest Max.

20231110_155716.jpg

@MFF18B did such a great job reviewing this pinpointer that I'll add any observations I make here. 🙂

I've seen Nokta exclude the box on other FREE PinPointers but the Legends I've sold so far all had boxes.

On 11/12/2023 at 1:51 PM, glacialgold said:

OK, I finally caved (and by finally, I mean quickly) and put an order in for an AccuPOINT from Fort Bedford. The display screen is the big selling point for me since I continually mess up holding down the button on the carrot and don't know where I'm at in the settings.

My original plan was to hold of until more reviews and feedback came in, but dangit, I've been such a good boy lately and deserve an early xmas present. Plus my Garrett carrot has suddenly started falsing more frequently for some strange reason. (It's noted that the reason may very well be me creating a pretextual justification for buying a new pinpointer, however. 😉)

Anyways, looking forward to its arrival, and I'll try to post some notes once I've run it through plenty of targets in the wild.

The best gifts are the ones you buy for yourself.  You get EXACTLY what you want!