Garrett Axiom Compatible X-coils

phrunt

44 minutes ago, Gold neck prospecting said:

Very interesting. Detech making this coil? Been running the axiom for the past 8 months now and been pretty pleased. My only concern I see with this coil, if the hot spot is in the center like the DD, is that I flip the coil over when retrieving micro targets to get right over the hot spot. Doesn't look like that's obtainable that the the stem is right infront of the end of the shaft. However I do think that's a sexy looking coil. I'll buy one when it's released. 

No, as stated in the thread it is made by X-Coil.

https://www.x-coils.com

• Like 1

On 10/27/2023 at 1:01 AM, afaitken said:

Катушки Garrett для Axiom здесь, в Австралии, стоят почти вдвое дороже, чем в США. На самом деле покупать в США и отправлять сюда даже после конвертации в доллары дешевле на пару сотен долларов. Пойди разберись? Я думаю, что Гаррету Осту действительно нужно переосмыслить эту часть своего бизнеса, иначе мы потеряем большую часть текущих продаж катушек. У моего 11x7 уже есть проблема с чувствительностью к прикосновению, которую я думал преодолеть, но теперь она кажется неисправной. У меня было 7 катушек X-Coil для моего GPZ 7000, они оказались очень полезными для настройки детектора на определенную территорию в различных обстоятельствах. Я получил тестер и, получив результаты, с радостью заплатил почти 2 тысячи долларов за каждую за большее количество катушек, поскольку они сделали именно то, что люди говорили, - получили больше золота! Платить за себя по пути - поэтому вложить в свой металлоискатель столько же, сколько в свои катушки, имело смысл. Куплю ли я 8-ку для Axiom, как только она появится в продаже? Могу поспорить, я не буду сомневаться в качестве. И все, что может произойти после. Катушки Axiom хорошие, катушки X-отличные, простые.

Hello everyone. I’m also waiting for X-Coil to release their coil so I can test it. I was very pleased with the coils for GPZ. X-Coils are very good. I have dug more gold with these GPZ reels than with a standard reel.

On 11/23/2023 at 1:00 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

No, as stated in the thread it is made by X-Coil.

https://www.x-coils.com

Interesting! Never heard of them until my last post. Must have skipped that part stating the manufacturer. Knowing detech was working on coils thought x coil was the coil name from detech...lol lol. Did some research and a few emails exchanges, very friendly and fast responses. I will be notified when some axiom coils are available. In the mean time I may purchase a 10" coil for the 7000, would mind the 8" but I don't thinks it's available yet. My stock gpz 14 coil no longer functions so that pigtail will turn into the adapter. 

8" is available, its' my favourite coil.

I think Detech have pulled out of making Axiom coils.  Hopefully X-coils gets some for sale at some point, normally after announcing a coil type for a detector or even a new coil they get flooded with people wanting it contacting them, this didn't happen with the Axiom with a trickle of requests almost all from USA, I think they only had two requests from Australia with one person that was on that list already deciding his Axiom isn't for him and now buying a GPZ again that he sold due to detector weight/health problems to get an Axiom,  a new old model GPX coil recently announced has had far higher demand of people putting in pre-order requests.  I wonder if Detech's market research was similar.

Garrett have covered all the bases for coil sizes much better than competitors and perhaps people are satisfied with the OEM offerings.

I personally think for X-coils to take off for the Axiom the Axiom would have to take off in countries like Australia where X-coils are very popular, in the US they're not such a known product and from what I can see the Axiom is sold far more in USA and very few sold in Australia.  Unfortunately, things like this affect business decisions.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

8" is available, its' my favourite coil.

I think Detech have pulled out of making Axiom coils.  Hopefully X-coils gets some for sale at some point, normally after announcing a coil type for a detector or even a new coil they get flooded with people wanting it contacting them, this didn't happen with the Axiom with a trickle of requests almost all from USA, I think they only had two requests from Australia with one person that was on that list already deciding his Axiom isn't for him and now buying a GPZ again that he sold due to detector weight/health problems to get an Axiom,  a new old model GPX coil recently announced has had far higher demand of people putting in pre-order requests.  I wonder if Detech's market research was similar.

Garrett have covered all the bases for coil sizes much better than competitors and perhaps people are satisfied with the OEM offerings.

I personally think for X-coils to take off for the Axiom the Axiom would have to take off in countries like Australia where X-coils are very popular, in the US they're not such a known product and from what I can see the Axiom is sold far more in USA and very few sold in Australia.  Unfortunately, things like this affect business decisions.

I am waiting on @Steve Herschbach report on the 8 inch X Coil for the Axiom before I lay out that kind of $$$$ for a coil, or anyone's report on the 8 inch DOD X Coil for that matter for the Axiom

I had the coil just long enough to determine it will not ground balance on hot ground. No matter the mode or setting it would not ground balance on a Tahoe beach. It would ground balance in my yard, but only in Large or Salt mode. Winter ensued, so I gave it to Lunk to test on nuggets while he winters in Arizona. It might be the cats meow on small gold in milder soil, but it won’t handle bad ground from what I saw. Keep in mind this is not a coil for sale, it’s a prototype, and this is why people test prototypes. People thinking about buying this are jumping the gun by a long shot. Lunk will give it a fair go in Arizona and find what ground it will work on and what ground it will not. The coil may need tweaking at a minimum, or a full redesign.

The bottom line is the Garrett coils are not half bad, and no way people will pay over $1000 for an Axiom coil. I don’t know what X-Coil planned on selling them for, but it would have to be far less than they charge for other coils. So frankly I’m not sure what the plan was here. I know DeTech builds coils at attractive pricing and so they were my main hope. X-Coil has never been heard of outside Minelab circles, and their coils cost a fortune, so I’m not surprised at all they have not been getting any inquiries from Axiom owners. Outside of this forum, nobody in Garrett land would even know they exist. And as far as I know they don’t have product to sell so it all seems rather premature.

Again, ball is in Lunks corner now. I doubt I’ll be out detecting again until April.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'll take the opportunity to segue here, Steve. So far in what I would call moderate to medium mineralized ground here in the southwestern desert region of Arizona, the 8-inch prototype DOD X-Coil for the Garrett Axiom does not ground balance in the Fine mode, but does in the Normal, Large and Salt modes. So I'll be putting the coil through its paces in those modes this winter and report my findings in a new thread, so stay tuned. I too am scratching my head at why X-Coil would bother making coils for the Axiom because of their premium prices, as well as at their choice of coil configuration; I personally would've rather chosen a concentric coil. At any rate, from what I'm seeing with the prototype so far, my guess is that a production coil on the market is still a long way off.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately for the Axiom Concentric coils were not ideal, they were the first coils they dabbled with due to being the most popular with the GPZ by far.   I think aftermarket coils for the Axiom are very unlikely from X-coils with market demand so small to be worth pursuing, Detech appear to have taken a similar view and Coiltek and Nugget Finder are obviously extremely unlikely.  

At least Garrett has a good range, a real shame seeing it's chip free.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, phrunt said:

Unfortunately for the Axiom Concentric coils were not ideal, they were the first coils they dabbled with due to being the most popular with the GPZ by far.   I think aftermarket coils for the Axiom are very unlikely from X-coils with market demand so small to be worth pursuing, Detech appear to have taken a similar view and Coiltek and Nugget Finder are obviously extremely unlikely. 

That's too bad. I was hoping for some after market coils for the Axiom. I've held off buying one in hopes of more coil options. Probably just stick with the 6000 for the foreseeable future.

• Like 2