Best Pinpointer To Buy?

Many of us have lots of pinpointers, but nothing beats the ol' Garrett Carrot. Not the wireless one, the standard AT.

I have two Carrots, a Fisher, two Quest pointers and two MI-6 pointers.

While I prefer the MI-6 for everything, often I bring a Quest with me on hunts, because despite it's issues, it does a good job identifying iron vs non-ferrous targets. If I'm not using an XP detector, the Carrot goes in my bag.

I've seen plenty of praise for the Fisher but  it never seems quite as strong for me as others, maybe mine isn't all that great.

I have put in a preorder for the AccuPoint, but only time will tell.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Many of us have lots of pinpointers, but nothing beats the ol' Garrett Carrot. Not the wireless one, the standard AT.

My opinion as well although I have not tried every pin pointer in the world the standard Carrot has been my go to for a long time... yes they can break but I attribute it to my neglect (I'm rough on them) I was done trying different pinpointers years ago and now only look to re-supply my stable of garret carrots as needed until another miracle pinpointer comes along...

strick 

• Like 5

The Garrett AT is just a reliable workhorse, it's stable, sensitive, deep, good quality, loud speaker, long battery life... the list goes on and on.  

The only time I wouldn't want to use it is in salt water or wet sand, aside from that it's just a safe good choice.

It's the one pinpointer that if it died on me, I'd be rushing out to get a replacement, every other pinpointer I own I'd be disappointed but wouldn't replace them.

Discrimination has started to slip into some pinpointers and for me, it's only beneficial when using a PI detector that has no discrimination itself, otherwise I'd rather leave the discrimination up to the detector as detectors do it a whole lot better, you can't even compare pinpointer discrimination to that of a detector.

• Like 6

For me it's the ProFind 35 or PulseDive.. Mainly because they both vibrate, this saves having to take off your headphones to use them (which gets annoying after a while).. Also, I'm hard of hearing and I can't hear the beeping on pinpointers..

The PulseDive also comes with small coils turning it into a small handheld detector.. and its waterproof down to 60 metres..

Does the Carrot vibrate? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Erik Oostra said:

Does the Carrot vibrate? 

yep, I don't know of a pinpointer that doesn't.   

The Pulse Dive is the ideal pinpointer for a beach/water hunter like you Erik, the other good option is the F-Pulse although personally I prefer the Pulse Dive over the F-Pulse, especially seeing it can use coils, but the F-Pulse also has a very quiet speaker which I don't like.  I find the Pulse Dive deeper than the F-Pulse too but the F-Pulse works very well in salt much like the Pulse Dive.

5 minutes ago, phrunt said:

yep, I don't know of a pinpointer that doesn't. 

The ProFind 15 doesn't vibrate.. 

10 minutes ago, Erik Oostra said:

The ProFind 15 doesn't vibrate.. 

I guess that's why Minelab released a range of pinpointers based off the one, so they can remove features from some to charge more for others, crazy! I've never bothered to look at the lesser featured Pro-Find models as I'm used to brands really just having the one model in the range. 

• Like 1

After seeing the sheer quantity and variety of detectors in phrunt's tool kit . This one statement about the Garrett means a lot IMO . 

16 hours ago, phrunt said:

the one pinpointer that if it died on me, I'd be rushing out to get a replacement, every other pinpointer I own I'd be disappointed but wouldn't replace them.

I recently bought a quest Xpointer max  and carry it on every hunt, but I mostly end up using my old, reliable whites TRX.  It’s (the TRX), much more sensitive to small foil than the Xpointer and deeper too.  This with the Xpointer on boost.  When I first got the Xpointer I would pull it out first and sometimes it wouldn’t pick up anything.  Then I’d pull out the TRX and I’d get a hit. After this happening a few times I noticed a pattern; either the target was small foil or it was deeper and the Xpointer couldn’t hit it.  I still carry it every hunt and use it occasionally but the TRX gets turned on first the majority of the time.  I do like the much better volume on the Xpointer and it’s adjustability and its discrimination feature.  Speaking of that disc feature; it sometimes calls small aluminum ferrous, but it’s never called a coin ferrous.  I’m probably going to get an MI6 so I can hear it through the deus headphones.  

• Like 1

I am curious about the Nokta Accupoint since we can't get the Russian Sphinx 03. I really haven't missed the ferrous ID since getting the MI-6, but I recently thought of a useful scenario for ferrous/non-ferrous discrimination. So if the Accupoint can meet or exceed the depth of my MI-6 in my soil and discriminate accurately, then I'll probably snag one, unless the MI-7 comes out with ferrous/non-ferrous descrimination. 😏

But I'll probably wait for @F350Platinum to do his in depth report first! 😉