Gold Hard To Hear

Do you mean the noise doesn't increase when swinging? 

What I'm trying to get at is this: excessive noise when not swinging indicates either bad EMI or a potentially defective unit. EMI can be dealt with to varying degrees by using Low or High Smoothing, and decreasing the threshold. All of these also reduce the sensitivity to fast transient (tiny/specimen gold) or deep gold too though. If those don't reduce the noise then I'd take it to your dealer and compare it to another GPZ as there may be a defect.

If the noise increases when swinging then its mineralization, or a bad coil/cable. If the coil isn't knock sensitive and the cable isn't making noises when moving (and your coil connector is screwed in tight, double check), then it's likely mineralization.

If it's mineralization, there are two types - salt and iron based. Salt gets (much) worse when wet and this is how you can easily tell if there is a salt component in the soil (you can also often taste a slight salt taste), and the GPZ is notoriously noisy in salt. In these cases you can either power through it and learn to listen for the gold under the salt signal (salt signal is broad/wide/slow, a nugget will be sharper/quicker/narrower). It's a learned trick, just dig sharper signals. Reducing gain sometimes helps in salt, sometimes smoothing helps tame the mess, and for similar reasons lowering the threshold can help make things less chaotic too.

If it's iron based mineralization then Klunker's setting advice is good. Personally I tend to try Difficult/General and go with a conservative sensitivity in heavy iron soils, but it's not my wheelhouse because honestly I just tend to avoid soils that require me to switch to Difficult and move somewhere else instead, so I'm not the best to listen to there.

Note: you can have both salt and iron mineralization in the same soil. These are particularly noisy and difficult to detect.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, jasong said:

Note: you can have both salt and iron mineralization in the same soil. These are particularly noisy and difficult to detect.

These conditions alter with the dryness or moister content, so try detecting the area with different climate conditions.

I will try different settings this weekend and if nothing works it's going I have tried a lot of different settings over the years I have had it it could be like you said high mineralisation the ground is pure orange in places on my gold kruzer it ground balances at 90 so quite high thanks for all the replies 

• 2 weeks later...

If possible try to swing another GPZ-7000 in same Settings on the same day and location?  If same results, then the answer is probably not a bad unit, but more to do with the conditions.  It's so hard to tell as we are not there in you're shoes.  We here in the USA can most certainly say with confidence, the GPZ-7000 in many of our soils can find smaller gold than our older SD/GP and even GPX-series detectors (minus the new GPX-6000).

Keep us updated