I took the liberty! Now all is right in the world!😁🍀👍👍

Screenshot_20240102_125747_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• Like 4

What a pickture!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/2/2024 at 6:07 AM, strick said:
On 1/1/2024 at 9:56 AM, klunker said:

Klunker the Pic of your Picks is wrong side up...

It's not my fault. SOMEBODY slipped me a quart of moonshine in a mason jar just before new years eve. I believe Sourdough Scott is suffering from the same affliction. We disavow any responsibility for our failings until about mid February. 

• Haha 5

This is a fun little post.

On a different note, looking at all of the picks in the photo (plus the pristine pick head in the first photo) reminds me of the cost in labor and freight to get those picks to the goldfields, and how sometimes, perfectly good picks were left behind. Sometimes by prospectors that had gone bust and just wanted to get out of the goldfields without having to pack out the extra weight (with guns occasionally left behind for the same reason), and probably some that were simply lost. (I lost my favorite pick once, got out in a hurry to show my wife some nuggets I'd found, but left the pick behind at the workings. Years later saw a local no-good with it at his claim--law of salvage I guess.)

I found a cache of tools once while detecting in Montana. They were buried under the dirt, with the large, oblong hole underneath covered by a piece of sheet iron, all resting beneath a huge tree. All of the tools' (picks and shovels) wooden handles had long since disappeared due to time. A case of someone thinking they'd return later?

Thanks for fuelling some memories, and all the best,

Lanny

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Lanny said:

They were buried under the dirt, with the large, oblong hole

Two of the picks in the pickture where found in nearly identical circumstances along with a large digging bar.  I posted a photo on this forum back a couple of years ago titled "I found two pickers and a solid gold bar" no one has believed a thing I have posted since.

My detecting pick has failed to get itself loaded on my Jeep many times, but Ive' always been able to find it again.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Very interesting read Allen.   I've dug my share of pick heads but your discovery is the most pristine I'm seen.

Sharing big gold is always fun.  Great on you. 

• Like 1

Klunker, Hard to believe no one believes you, believe me, I believe you.