The Equinox Puts #4 Spanish In The Box

1 hour ago, George Kinsey said:

Love that Spanish. Keep after it. George

Thanks George,

I do too, odd that I've never found a whole milled 1 Reale or larger, always bits. Maybe that would be too easy 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Valens Legacy said:

On my 800 with the 10x5 coil it will show a silver dime in the low 20's, and quarters in the mid 20's.

I have no idea why but when I see that I know what I am digging.

Glad you finally took the old girl out for a walk and she came through for you. She was just telling you she wants to go again.

Good finds and wish you more luck on your next hunt.

Thanks VL,

Until XP gives us a small elliptical coil for the D2, I may just use the Equinox more in the field when there is a lot of iron in the way. Here it is nails, and the odd monster piece from an old kettle, axe, plow shard, or even a cannon ball 😏

Hope I sold a used 600 or 2 just to show 'em. 🤣 I have always loved that combo with the 10x5, there is no doubt it does well. It's a lot more accurate and stable than I remembered, sorry for the gaffe on id's, they escape me.

I hope you can get out soon, February here can either be brutal or warmer, looks like we're on a lucky streak. Only once has my shovel ever bounced off the ground this season.

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

Congrats on the silver.  The Vaquero is a very nice relic detector but I had issues with target masking especially of the iron is small and of great abundance.  Can't imagine ever finding a location like yours.  I guess research and a lot of it is the only answer.  Have you ever tried a PI machine at this location?

28 minutes ago, Mark Gillespie said:

Congrats on the silver.  The Vaquero is a very nice relic detector but I had issues with target masking especially of the iron is small and of great abundance.  Can't imagine ever finding a location like yours.  I guess research and a lot of it is the only answer.  Have you ever tried a PI machine at this location?

Yes, Chase brought his Axiom to this field one day. He talks about it here:

Well above that comment.  😅 Just scroll up.

Despite about 400 years of settlement in this area, nothing is particularly deep, and neither of us has had any indication that there is. There are so many good targets within the first 12" it's really a waste of time to dig deeper, 99% of the time the object you are chasing deep is a huge chunk of iron or a beer can, no matter how good the ID.

At one farm we were finding beer cans and other aluminum that were deeper than the buttons and coins. 🙄

To me a discriminating machine is much more desirable, sometimes I actually get more good finds than trash, usually in raw count because of buck balls and small bits of junk metal it will be 75% trash and 25% finds. There is no mineralization at all to prevent one from seeing what is there. It's really a paradise for detecting.

Regarding the Tesoro Vaquero, I did try a test with nails on a silver coin and it did find the coin after discriminating the nails, and the Deus and Equinox did not, maybe marginally at best. I intend to see if there is an advantage there, these two spots are pretty much clear of good targets, buck balls and lead, so if I can find anything at all I'll be impressed. The iron here is mostly nails and there are a lot of them.

One of the farmers mentioned they are going to "rip" the fields this year, a device that turns soil as much as 14" deep. That is exciting. 🙂

• Like 2

The only thing green around here is me with permission envy ! 🤗

That "rip" tool is probably why there are cans  below the oldies ! 

But it doesn't mean there is nothing good below the cans......😜 

Maybe the other pieces of that beautiful silver ?  

That Tesoro test will be interesting to see the results of , no doubt ! 

Oh , and btw my shovel bounces every time now.  Maybe it just stops would be more accurate . 

I did get just the bottom 3/4" to disappear yesterday by waiting till just before the sun went down....maybe I shouldn't have given the big heavy root slayer away ? 

I even failed on the thaw methods , the wind kept me busy trying though...maybe I could get them to let me have a fire ring ???  

Nice work 350! Spanish every day..  do they need any more horse vets in Virginia? they rip the farm lands here frequently...may bring something up for ya...or bury it deeper lol......good luck buddy

strick 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, strick said:

Nice work 350! Spanish every day..  do they need any more horse vets in Virginia? they rip the farm lands here frequently...may bring something up for ya...or bury it deeper lol......good luck buddy

strick 

Here you can make a fortune if you just show up. 🤣 Between here and Ashland there are hundreds of horse farms, I worked for one when I first moved here. They call this "The Promised Land" because people promise to do a job and never show up. 😁

Always room. Taxes are low, lots of boating, and the cotton is gone. 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That sure is a pretty, detailed cut coin.

• Thanks 1

You're killing it on the Spanish recently. Way to go. A nice, perfect looking cut silver. 😍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JCR said:

That sure is a pretty, detailed cut coin.

Thanks JCR,

I always wonder how much these coins would buy, and how great the loss was to the person. 🤔

• Like 1