The Jewelry Box (long And Lots Of Pics)

51 minutes ago, strick said:

Nice work 350..those old medallions are fun to find...looks like you have one of the other pieces there next to it in the first photo...It would be worth it to go back and look for the other pieces....

strick 

Thanks strick,

The badge/medal cleaned up really nice after "juicing" it, learned that trick here. 🙂 It's bronze with gold plate, the original was made to represent Senator Hanna's industries. This might be for the person who replaced him at the convention, I'm going to have to find out.

20240227_095534.thumb.jpg.ee604282658adcabdfd3241b91c03eb6.jpg

• Like 3

That is one cool badge!  Days like that really whet your whistle for more.

What is the little button/pin on the right side of the picture below the rings? I can see there is some sort of pattern on it but I can’t make out what.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Geologyhound said:

That is one cool badge!  Days like that really whet your whistle for more.

What is the little button/pin on the right side of the picture below the rings? I can see there is some sort of pattern on it but I can’t make out what.

Hey, thanks for asking!20240226_204108.thumb.jpg.b6656292787b6c712634fc49c5608ff4.jpg

It's a "Vocational Agriculture" pin. Still has the pin! I have no idea why. 🤔

• Like 1

8 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Hey, thanks for asking!20240226_204108.thumb.jpg.b6656292787b6c712634fc49c5608ff4.jpg

It's a "Vocational Agriculture" pin. Still has the pin! I have no idea why. 🤔

It says FFA above the plow and owl. The Future Farmers of America was founded in 1928.  Almost every pin I found online also had an eagle perched on top.  I only found one without the eagle like yours.  That seller at Worthpoint thought it might be a greenhorn pin.

1EBFFD72-0FFD-4880-A6E7-BB027ABFD1AA.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geologyhound said:

It says FFA above the plow and owl. The Future Farmers of America was founded in 1928.  Almost every pin I found online also had an eagle perched on top.  I only found one without the eagle like yours.  That seller at Worthpoint thought it might be a greenhorn pin.

1EBFFD72-0FFD-4880-A6E7-BB027ABFD1AA.png

Yep, it's a "national degree" pin, made and used between 1928 and 1938 👍

https://thekeynotepresenter.com/?p=955

Pins were made in silver and gold, there might be one at that site.

• Like 2

Mine is still on my High School Ag jacket hanging in the closet.  Solid Brass pin.

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

2 minutes ago, JCR said:

Mine is still on my High School Ag jacket hanging in the closet.  Solid Brass pin.

There are others that you earn or buy that are silver and gold, most have the brass one like the one I found. Looking it up I see there are degrees, the now-named "American" degree being the highest. Sounds pretty complicated. 🤪

This pin was the "National" Degree pin only issued in the first 10 years of FFA.

When I first moved here there were FFA classes in the high schools.

• Like 1

Amazing hunt for must of us, but seems like standard fare lately for you and @Chase Goldman😏

Is there a Theodore Roosevelt Museum somewhere?  They might be interested in that pin, and/or be able to tell you something more about it.

FWIW I actually found a jewelry box, with jewelry, detecting a modern school yard.  I felt a bit uneasy wondering if some disillusioned school girl tossed it out in a fit of exasperation after being dumped by her boyfriend....

You guys are wondering why only two (m/l) modern silver coins?  Why not put this place on the back burner until I can come visit later this year and help you clear more of that aluminum and iron trash?  😀

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

You guys are wondering why only two (m/l) modern silver coins?  Why not put this place on the back burner until I can come visit later this year and help you clear more of that aluminum and iron trash?  😀

Thanks GB,

You'd have to come out now though, this place will be planted by April. 😅

The next time we go we're going to bring some buckets to throw the iron and junk in, we'll probably dig it all. 🤔

I've only researched the one other badge created solely for the Chairman, and that one was specifically made for him out of 14k, I'm not a member of the website so I have no idea what it sold for, but 64g of 14k is a starting point. 😳 This one may have been for the successor, or it may have been a souvenir. Either way it's pretty unique! Delegate and other staff badges were much smaller.

I'll look into a museum, that's an interesting thought. 👍 I want to see if I can find any of the other parts first.