17 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

You've collected so many permissions it boggles the mind.🤯

You can actually cherry pick the locations instead of just the targets..👍  

As many people has said so many times on here " It doesn't hurt to ask unless they have a shotgun pointed at you".

So the more you ask permission and interact with them the better your chances to get their permission.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

You've collected so many permissions it boggles the mind.🤯

You can actually cherry pick the locations instead of just the targets..👍  

One of the things that I haven't mentioned about farms is that there are so many conditions and stages happening that it is difficult sometimes to choose where to go. When Chase comes down I try to think of a spot (or let him pick, saves guilt 😏) that will almost guarantee some decent finds to make the trip worthwhile. Personally I can go to any of these places, hunt all day and not find much. Unless I get some interesting item or many, I might not post. It is still fun and does not bother me.

Posting a crap hunt sometimes does keep it real though, and makes me more credible. 🤔

Here farmers plant mostly corn or soybeans with either winter wheat, barley or "cover crop" after harvest. The cover crop they don't care about. Some farms are so big that they rotate two crops. 

With corn, if they don't knock the stalks down with a bush hog or tiller it is almost impossible to hunt, so a field with corn can be a two year wait to revisit. Soybeans are preferable as if conditions are good they will cut them short. This field was not so good, but we toughed it out knowing it would be a two year wait if we didn't. Not only is it fresh but also putting it off might make the aged owner forget he gave permission.

Add to that other strategic difficulties, some farms have very little to offer or are extremely trashy. I have one really big one that has literally nothing on it despite its age, or at least I found nothing while scouting it for a whole day. Others have hotspots, some of which have been wiped out and I am  awaiting some sort of tilling to refresh the place 🤪

But yes, having a lot of places to go does lead to getting still more. If I pass a farm of interest and it feels like the time is right and the farmer is out there, I'll stop and ask. Most are curious as to what I might find, and thankfully appreciate the desire for some reward for me should I do all the work to dig it up. Establishing a friendship of sorts goes far, they will try to think of other places to look, or even ask someone else for me.

There are 2 rules for getting permissions:

1. Start out with a question about the history of the place and a compliment about how nice it is, then Listen to the farmer after asking to hunt it, no matter how long they talk. It's the most important thing, if you act hasty or impatient, you're not doing to get it. If they say no, be prepared to calm their fears of leaving holes and damage. Make them say no more than once.

2: See rule 1.

I guess you could just say it's complicated 🙄 but I do hope to inform as well as brag 😎 information is a bit more important here.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

But yes, having a lot of places to go does lead to getting still more. If I pass a farm of interest and it feels like the time is right and the farmer is out there, I'll stop and ask. Most are curious as to what I might find, and thankfully appreciate the desire for some reward for me should I do all the work to dig it up. Establishing a friendship of sorts goes far, they will try to think of other places to look, or even ask someone else for me.

There are 2 rules for getting permissions:

1. Start out with a question about the history of the place and a compliment about how nice it is, then Listen to the farmer after asking to hunt it, no matter how long they talk. It's the most important thing, if you act hasty or impatient, you're not doing to get it. If they say no, be prepared to calm their fears of leaving holes and damage. Make them say no more than once.

2: See rule 1.

I guess you could just say it's complicated 🙄 but I do hope to inform as well as brag 😎 information is a bit more important here.

The evidence is in....Your permission system sure does work !  You have become one of the locals.

Everything found has a story to tell , even the pulltabs ........   

• Like 2

If you want to find some arrowheads & pottery shards, walk the freshly plowed fields after a good rain. Especially fields that have running water close by.  Any area close to running water has high potential. High ground is the best for camp/village sites.

• Like 2

Great hunt F350! I am happy finding buttons all day. You know there are coins to be found there. I've been playing with Tekkna lately but Relic is never far from my mind. It will hit some good targets at a pounded site so hard that I am skeptical of what I am hearing. That tinkler is a very cool find!

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Lodge Scent said:

Great hunt F350! I am happy finding buttons all day. You know there are coins to be found there. I've been playing with Tekkna lately but Relic is never far from my mind. It will hit some good targets at a pounded site so hard that I am skeptical of what I am hearing. That tinkler is a very cool find!

Thanks Ghound,

Between us we got 27 buttons total. I'm thinking that because I found an Indian artifact in the same place, it must have been a place where goods were traded, not sold. Not one button found is the same as any other. Buttons were a premium item 250 years ago, so they were no doubt reused.

If the field had been cleared better we would have dug more, the deeper stuff was evading us unless the spot was clear or between rows. Bean stalks dry out and become tough. Relic is the only program to use in that situation because we had to keep the coil over 4" above the ground where the stalks were, that's what it is best at.

Could be there aren't any coins at all, or that the heavier stuff sank deeper.

Tekkna is great for really trashy spots but Relic is the best choice where we were. 👍

Apparently that Indian artifact that jingled still has some powers. Been raining since you found it 😞

Nice run!

• Haha 2

Just now, kac said:

Apparently that Indian artifact that jingled still has some powers. Been raining since you found it 😞

Nice run!

Thanks kac,

Now ya got me wondering... 🤔 😬

Mebbe I should put it back. 🫤

On second thought, I did possibly move the rain to weekdays instead of weekends, so...

You're welcome. 🤣

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

The evidence is in....Your permission system sure does work !  You have become one of the locals.

Everything found has a story to tell , even the pulltabs ........   

Not too mention all of those pesky empty spinach cans Up Ta Camp.🤮

• Haha 3

Awwwww BUSTED ! 😯

Would it be better if I switched to green beans ?

I never said anything about this but that spinach in a can tastes like crap ........😝

It was never shown on camera but there was a half stick of melted butter in every one of those spinach cans.👍

• Haha 2