Minelab Manticore For The Desert

Hello, 

Is the ML Manticore a good gold detector for desert environments? 

I have only used a now ancient Fisher Gold Bug 2.

I have always been a gold dredger, health now prevents it. Maybe next year things will improve. 

Moving to Las Vegas this fall and would like to detect desert gold.

Thanks again Dennis 

20220626_154728.jpg

IMG_1697.png

IMG_1699.jpeg

IMG_1696.png

Hi Dennis,

Age is catching up with us both!

Hard call as the Gold Bug 2 is still an excellent machine and you are familiar with it. I myself am going to the Manticore with 5x8 coil for general detecting and that will also include nugget detecting. I am getting to where just one general purpose detector will suit me fine as long as it is also decent for nugget detecting, and Manticore does well in that area, while also serving me for other uses. I'd still bet on the Gold Bug 2 for the tiny bits. Only real reason to consider the Manticore is if you are interested in it's other capabilities i.e. coins, jewelry, relics, beach.

If you do think you want a Manticore now is the time, as it is $500 off until May 6th.

Good videos here in Nevada. Having seen it in person I was impressed and next time out in the desert I'll be swinging the Manticore.

Here's another of Andrew's excellent videos (from April 2024) showing the Manticore+M8 finding desert gold:

• Like 1

As far as VLF's go I think the Manticore is right up there as one of the best available for prospecting.  You would benefit from having the M8 coil but the standard coil still does a pretty good job.  

The GB2 will be more sensitive to the smallest of small gold though, but not by much.  Hard to even notice the difference.  The Manticore will be better in almost every other way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Hi Dennis,

Age is catching up with us both!

Hard call as the Gold Bug 2 is still an excellent machine and you are familiar with it. I myself am going to the Manticore with 5x8 coil for general detecting and that will also include nugget detecting. I am getting to where just one general purpose detector will suit me fine as long as it is also decent for nugget detecting, and Manticore does well in that area, while also serving me for other uses. I'd still bet on the Gold Bug 2 for the tiny bits. Only real reason to consider the Manticore is if you are interested in it's other capabilities i.e. coins, jewelry, relics, beach.

If you do think you want a Manticore now is the time, as it is $500 off until May 6th.

Good videos here in Nevada. Having seen it in person I was impressed and next time out in the desert I'll be swinging the Manticore.

Thanks Steve, 

Yes crap is catching up with me.  Open heart surgery stops alot of what you take for granted. 

Yes, I just saw that sale. Thanks for the input. I hope you are doing well these days.

Dennis 

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

Here's another of Andrew's excellent videos (from April 2024) showing the Manticore+M8 finding desert gold:

Thank you.  I think that I will get one.  Now I have to find an area to try near Vegas this fall.

• The title was changed to Minelab Manticore For The Desert

I found gold with my Manticore the first day of using it. The more I use it the more I love it.

• Like 1