First Hunt For 2017 , Skunked First Day !

Squizz

Thought I would share my first hunt for the alluvious , with a break in the weather, I headed out early Sunday to an old patch , confidence high for the new year. Was looking for to trying out some different settings ( JP's advice ?) . Well I had found some bits there before but after about a ten hour session had been SKUNKED ?. JP's settings had worked though I managed to find a pocket full of old shot gun pellets. Set up camp , as I pondered on the day's events under a awesome bright three quarter moon, couldn't help thinking need a change of plan . The next morning up early coffee and of to another patch, well I was confident as still had settings close to those advised by Master JP ?Ten minutes and then I got my first mellow signal a nugget I thought, was excited ? Scraped about 2" off and checked target moved , after sorting out found a JW special .12 of gram ? First gold of  17 yeah . Had a break, back to it , about 20mins later had a faint repeatable signal , was fairly broad, might be GN , I took a scrape and signal improved , then started to dig , down 1foot still in the hole ?Sweet I was on to something ? 10mins later and a large hole approx between 1.5 to 2feet deep signal was out,so was I of breath and hot as ! Was a nice 14.8gramer?. I then got my breath back and backfilled the huge hole ? Continued to proceed toward some more open ground about 300 meters away where a mate had found a couple of peaces . Blow me down was there for 3 minutes and was on a target, different signal mellow but broken , like wire . Turned out to be a little specie .By this time I was out of water in me camel back and it was starting to hot and clouds building , making detectin a bit difficult due to noise. Called it a day and made tracks for home , happy for the first outing of the year ?. I would just like thanks to all that have been posting settings and GB control as has been interesting to read and apply. To those who doubt it makes much difference, the only thing I regret was not having a camera to take a picture of the depth of the hole in hot ground where I got the 14.8 grammar ,with just about JP's settings ?Thanks mate! 

Best luck to all for coming year,

Squizz 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

32 minutes ago, flakmagnet said:

Nice hunting and fun commentary.

Thank you for posting…

Thanks, I like to share and inspire !

Regards,

Squizz

Well done.  You fooled me with the title.  I didn't think I would see any gold let alone a nice slug and pretty specimen.

Please edit the title.  I don't like to be 'faked out' like that.

Mitchel

14 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

Well done.  You fooled me with the title.  I didn't think I would see any gold let alone a nice slug and pretty specimen.

Please edit the title.  I don't like to be 'faked out' like that.

Mitchel

Apologies Mitchel should have put first day at the end! 

Squizz 

First, try to edit the post.  Some will let you edit the title and others won't.

Good Luck.

Edit:  I just looked at one of my posts and sure enough you can edit the title of the post.  I'd say: Over Half Ounce of Gold and a Specimen for 2017